Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fleet Farm

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wright County, MN
    Posts
    2

    Fleet Farm

    First Post / So, be gentle....

    I have a permit to carry - and wear an external waist holster wherever it is permitted. Sometimes I conceal, depending on my mood and attire, but typically I do not.

    I was on my way out of town for Deer Hunting 4 weeks ago, and as most of you will remember, it was unseasonably warm (T-shirt, Jeans, No jacket).

    I stopped at Fleet Farm in Alexandria, MN - to pick up some extra rounds... I was in the aisle looking for .45 bullets, when an employee came over to me and stipulated that I need to conceal my weapon. I politely told him MN is not a Conceal Carry State - and being as Fleet Farm doesn't "BAN" firearms on the premises, and I didn't have a way to conceal it - I would not be willing to conceal my gun. He became angry at me, but, after persisting that I conceal it, he told me he was done arguing and walked away. (Mind you, I never raised my voice 1db. - nor did I take an aggressive posture. The end result was I told him I would take my business elsewhere.

    *There is no sign on the front of the building stating the banning of guns on the premises. (Certainly not one that meets MN requirements)
    *There is a smaller sign stating they welcome "CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HOLDERS"
    *I had my firearm fully secured in its holster, with the strap buttoned.
    *He stated that it is private property and it is their right to demand concealment.
    *I was not wearing clothing that would allow me to conceal my weapon.

    So, my question is this; Can a business stipulate HOW (open vs. concealed) I am allowed to carry, when on their premises?

  2. #2
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlyambiguous View Post
    First Post / So, be gentle....
    I have a permit to carry - and wear an external waist holster wherever it is permitted. Sometimes I conceal, depending on my mood and attire, but typically I do not.
    I was on my way out of town for Deer Hunting 4 weeks ago, and as most of you will remember, it was unseasonably warm (T-shirt, Jeans, No jacket).
    I stopped at Fleet Farm in Alexandria, MN - to pick up some extra rounds... I was in the aisle looking for .45 bullets, when an employee came over to me and stipulated that I need to conceal my weapon. I politely told him MN is not a Conceal Carry State - and being as Fleet Farm doesn't "BAN" firearms on the premises, and I didn't have a way to conceal it - I would not be willing to conceal my gun. He became angry at me, but, after persisting that I conceal it, he told me he was done arguing and walked away. (Mind you, I never raised my voice 1db. - nor did I take an aggressive posture. The end result was I told him I would take my business elsewhere.
    *There is no sign on the front of the building stating the banning of guns on the premises. (Certainly not one that meets MN requirements)
    *There is a smaller sign stating they welcome "CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HOLDERS"
    *I had my firearm fully secured in its holster, with the strap buttoned.
    *He stated that it is private property and it is their right to demand concealment.
    *I was not wearing clothing that would allow me to conceal my weapon.

    So, my question is this; Can a business stipulate HOW (open vs. concealed) I am allowed to carry, when on their premises?
    welcome, sorry one of your first encounters OC was met with an angry employee.

    if you search the forum you will discern multiple discussions of what a private business can or can't do along with OCDO's members arguing both yes, the business can or no, they business can't!!

    as you have seen, i am not from your state & therefore not familiar with your state's particular statutes on posting, legality of the signage, trespass rights, etc., so shan't proffer any type of oversight...

    just a welcome

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlyambiguous View Post
    <snip>

    So, my question is this; Can a business stipulate HOW (open vs. concealed) I am allowed to carry, when on their premises?
    Of course, you should have this knowledge already. At least, that's how a court would see it if you would have gotten arrested for trespassing.

    Its their property. Under today's law, yes they can.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wright County, MN
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Of course, you should have this knowledge already. At least, that's how a court would see it if you would have gotten arrested for trespassing.

    Its their property. Under today's law, yes they can.

    Fair Answer... However, in this particular case - I did not have the means to conceal. (I know this is a slippery slope) - so, if they don't ban (per se) and they didn't ask me to leave, was I in violation of any law?

    I may be too literal in my request, since I am new to this. However, MN has strict guidelines regarding business not allowing firearms on their premises, and in this case, Fleet Farm would have not been in compliance... But again its a Gray Area.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...tat.624.714.17

    Subd. 17.Posting; trespass.

    (a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises. A person who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this subdivision is not subject to forfeiture.

    (b) As used in this subdivision, the terms in this paragraph have the meanings given.

    (1) "Reasonable request" means a request made under the following circumstances:

    (i) the requester has prominently posted a conspicuous sign at every entrance to the establishment containing the following language: "(INDICATE IDENTITY OF OPERATOR) BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES."; or

    (ii) the requester or the requester's agent personally informs the person that guns are prohibited in the premises and demands compliance.

    (2) "Prominently" means readily visible and within four feet laterally of the entrance with the bottom of the sign at a height of four to six feet above the floor.

    (3) "Conspicuous" means lettering in black arial typeface at least 1-1/2 inches in height against a bright contrasting background that is at least 187 square inches in area.

    (4) "Private establishment" means a building, structure, or portion thereof that is owned, leased, controlled, or operated by a nongovernmental entity for a nongovernmental purpose.

    (c) The owner or operator of a private establishment may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.

    (d) This subdivision does not apply to private residences. The lawful possessor of a private residence may prohibit firearms, and provide notice thereof, in any lawful manner.

    (e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

    (f) Notwithstanding any inconsistent provisions in section 609.605, this subdivision sets forth the exclusive criteria to notify a permit holder when otherwise lawful firearm possession is not allowed in a private establishment and sets forth the exclusive penalty for such activity.

    (g) This subdivision does not apply to:

    (1) an active licensed peace officer; or

    (2) a security guard acting in the course and scope of employment.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    341
    Why don't you call the manager and ask their policy and detail the conversation you had with their employee. I'd also offer to post their stance on this forum so we can all know not to patronize their establishment. Please do not recommend they post a sign specifically banning any kind of carry.

  7. #7
    Regular Member robdoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Of course, you should have this knowledge already. At least, that's how a court would see it if you would have gotten arrested for trespassing.

    Its their property. Under today's law, yes they can.
    Private property.

    They can only allow or ban based on whatever criteria they want.

    You wouldn't have gotten arrested for trespassing unless you refused to leave, waited for cops to come, received a $25 ticket, received a trespass notice, and then refused to leave.

    No MN Permit holder has ever been cited for failure to comply with business' demand to leave. Please don't be the first.

    That being said, I know Stewart Mills, and his father. They would not approve. A call to the manager would be appropriate. Please be polite, respectful, and clear.
    Last edited by robdoar; 12-10-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,192
    Was this a Mills fleet farm?
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Mr Mills is a very strong pro 2A advocate. I OC all the time in their Hudson location. But WI is more of a sort of 2A state bec we can OC here without a permit. Only need a license to conceal. MN you need a permit to bear so that's why maybe the employee who maybe unfamiliar with 2A said what he said Welcome aboard!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Mr Mills is a very strong pro 2A advocate. I OC all the time in their Hudson location. But WI is more of a sort of 2A state bec we can OC here without a permit. Only need a license to conceal. MN you need a permit to bear so that's why maybe the employee who maybe unfamiliar with 2A said what he said Welcome aboard!
    Yes he is I heard the company is up for sale and he is going to concentrate on running for office.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147

    Mills Fleet Farm sold to KKR Investments of NY, with Toys R Us and Academy Sports & O

    Fleet Farm Sold to Investment Group
    Wisconsin Ag Connection - 01/06/2016

    The owners of Mills Fleet Farm have announced the[ ] sale of their hardware and farm supply company to a global investment firm. The Brainerd, Minnesota-based Fleet Farm has 36 store locations in four states and employs about 6,000 people. It is being acquired by KKR of New York for an undisclosed amount.

    http://www.wisconsinagconnection.com...?Id=15&yr=2016
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member wimwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Doug
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by robdoar View Post
    Private property.

    They can only allow or ban based on whatever criteria they want.

    You wouldn't have gotten arrested for trespassing unless you refused to leave, waited for cops to come, received a $25 ticket, received a trespass notice, and then refused to leave.

    No MN Permit holder has ever been cited for failure to comply with business' demand to leave. Please don't be the first.

    That being said, I know Stewart Mills, and his father. They would not approve. A call to the manager would be appropriate. Please be polite, respectful, and clear.

    Appropriatel advice...call management. I was bothered just once each at rhe Menomonie and Hudson stores and was never bothered again afterwards. I don't see Minnesota being any different.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •