Thread: Wendy Davis now says she lied about support for Open Carry

Wendy Davis now says she lied about support for Open Carry

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...s-texas-213423

Against that backdrop, I chose to do something that was cleverer than it was wise. I decided to take a position in favor of open carry, one which would include the caveat that any property owner who wanted to opt out should be able to do so, whether it be a school, hospital or a private business. Understanding that most of these property owners would likely take advantage of an opt-out provision if the legislature were ever even to agree to pass such a diluted version of the law, I thought I could go forward with a clear conscience.

Such was the dictate I gave my team from the Denver airport. But, as I hurriedly finished the conversation before boarding the airport terminal train, I couldn’t shake the shameful feeling that I had just done something I had never done before—I had compromised my deeply held principles for the sake of political expediency.

Even progs learn that compromise is failure on the installment plan. Indeed, principle means that which will not be compromised.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Most politicians don't care about right or wrong -- just doing whatever they think they need to do to garner votes.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Well, here's the thing Wendy... Coming clean on this now doesn't win you any brownie points, and nobody believed you anyway...
    Advocate freedom please

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    She had her chance. It is over. The people of Texas have spoken.

Likely didn't help her either that she didn't speak the language - unlicensed dealers to Jim Crow gun laws being good enough. Say what?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by politico
    I was cowed by the political realities of my state

Fifty-eight percent of voters in the state think gun restrictions should be either loosened or left alone...

Members of my team had long memories of what it meant to go against these folks, having watched Democrat Ann Richards lose her 1994 gubernatorial reelection campaign after she vetoed a concealed carry bill.
    In other words, the voters in Texas (and the nation) just are not buying what the gun grabbers are selling.

The "gun lobby" gets its power from the voters who are part of that lobby, not from some mystical and untoward source.

Texas has some of the most lax gun laws in the country
    And here she exposes her ignorance. Obviously, Texas has been quite behind the times on a number of important RKBA fronts.

I was bone-tired after finishing fundraising in Colorado
    Why exactly should those in Colorado care who the governor of Texas is such as to make campaign donations? I can understand that a congressman's vote affects the entire nation. But a governor?

Bottom line is that Miss Pink Sneakers lied to the voters while bankrolling her campaign with out-of-State money and not having an accurate understanding of objective facts, and they had the good sense not to believe her.

The whole thing almost restores some faith in the common voter.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Well, here's the thing Wendy... Coming clean on this now doesn't win you any brownie points, and nobody believed you anyway...
    me thinks this qualifies as...sour grapes...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Prostitutes have no morals nor do their pimps.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Prostitutes have no morals nor do their pimps.
    Hey! Quit comparing prostitutes and pimps to politicians! At least prostitutes and pimps are supplying a service to consenting adults, unlike my local Division of Motor Vehicles who calls its involuntary tax victims "customers" (No lie. There is a sign in the DMV office that says the line for customers starts here.")

If you wanta compare politicians to something, the Ebola virus serves well. The Ebola virus comes off smeared a little bit by the comparison, but doesn't seem to complain.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Hey! Quit comparing prostitutes and pimps to politicians! At least prostitutes and pimps are supplying a service to consenting adults, unlike my local Division of Motor Vehicles who calls its involuntary tax victims "customers" (No lie. There is a sign in the DMV office that says the line for customers starts here.")
    --snipped--
    Both are con artists. Offering one thing and delivering another. In most cases, neither can stand the light of day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Both are con artists. Offering one thing and delivering another. In most cases, neither can stand the light of day.
    Will the forum rules allow you to give more detail of your experience with this? You know, "Offering one thing and delivering another."

Will the forum rules allow you to give more detail of your experience with this? You know, "Offering one thing and delivering another."
    It has been said that what you see is what you get if you but keep your eyes wide open.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it - least we get too far OT.

Banned
    I don't think that the forum rules prohibit discussion of public officials, especially elected officials or people who ran for public office, even in a bad light. Even defamation hurdles on such folks are quite high to meet.

Posters routinely bash the President and other elected officials.

They watch the forum, I know that. They are free to join and try to defend their positions. Maybe some have and then scurry away when their viewpoints are shown to be merit-less.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I don't think that the forum rules prohibit discussion of public officials, especially elected officials or people who ran for public office, even in a bad light. Even defamation hurdles on such folks are quite high to meet.

Posters routinely bash the President and other elected officials.

They watch the forum, I know that. They are free to join and try to defend their positions. Maybe some have and then scurry away when their viewpoints are shown to be merit-less.
    In that my statement was tongue in cheek regarding Grape's experience with a certain sector of society, anyone would be naive to think this award winning forum is not monitored by those that don't respect liberty.

State Researcher
    Will the forum rules allow [grapeshot] to give more detail of your experience with this? You know, "Offering one thing and delivering another."
    Reminds me of the old joke about the guy coming out of his doctor's office and walking down the street until he finds a particular "professional woman". He grabs her by the arm and angrily accuses, "You filthy [blank]. You gave me the clap!"

The woman tugs away from him and says simply, "I didn't give you anything. You paid for it all."

I suspect sometimes we've all felt a little bit that way not too long after casting our votes on election day.

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 12-11-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

^ ^ ^ However acquired, we shall have to live with the fruit of our labor.