Thread: Victor Davis Hanson, PC suppression fuels Trump popularity. National Review.

Victor Davis Hanson, PC suppression fuels Trump popularity. National Review.

... millions of citizens think the nation is headed for a financial reckoning. They feel threatened by radical Islamic terrorism. They sense that cultural and social stability has disappeared. And they know that expression of these worries can be a thought crime — hounded down by politicians, media, universities, and cultural institutions that do not enjoy broad public support and are not subject to the direct consequences of their own ideologies. Amid these crises and the present absence of responsible leadership, if there were not a demagogic Donald Trump ranting and raving on the scene, the country would probably have to invent something like him.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...al-correctness
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-10-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I am of the old school that says in the time of crisis it is better to act on your best judgement/decision than to continue down a path of destruction.

Reevaluation may be necessary, but the same sense of urgency needs to prevail.

Action beats inaction, acceptance of the fickle winds of fate.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    In various ways Trump is pandering to the basest of fears and prejudices. For any who have really paid attention to his record, his words are not really believable. His tax plan belies his liberal leanings. He is a strangely charismatic figure appealing to anger, resentment, and discontent. I that regard he and his current role remind me of certain 20th century dictators.

And yet we are tired of having our thoughts and speech stifled. We have grown weary of media manipulation, of "debates" where nobody touches on what really matters to us, of our choices being picked for us long before the first vote is ever cast. We have lost all respect for the political class who so quickly "walks back" whatever small doses of truth may pass their lips in moments unguarded, and untainted by excessive focus-group tested-and-approved statements.

I honestly don't know what worries me more right now: The thought that Trump might actually win, or the conventional wisdom that he might eventually lose to the pre-anointed establishment pick.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I am of the old school that says in the time of crisis it is better to act on your best judgement/decision than to continue down a path of destruction.

Reevaluation may be necessary, but the same sense of urgency needs to prevail.

Action beats inaction, acceptance of the fickle winds of fate.
    Seems its best when the inaction is on the part of the state.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Trump is singing the song the silent majority has been humming for years.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    I honestly don't know what worries me more right now: The thought that Trump might actually win, or the conventional wisdom that he might eventually lose to the pre-anointed establishment pick.
    You said it.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Trump is singing the song the silent majority has been humming for years.
    the tune in the back of everyone's mind that can't quite be shaken out of the subconscious no matter how hard someone's tries...

now everyone has the words that have been escaping them...

but as grape states: but the same sense of urgency needs to prevail.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 12-10-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

My Milwaukee talk-jock loves the epithet Trumpkin
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-10-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: rule 19

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    My Milwaukee talk-jock loves the epithet Trumpkin

Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-10-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: rule 19
    I had to first look that one up and then remember that ORANGE is an appropriate color for a pumpkin.

I am not a Trumpkin and will not vote for him. I pray the rise of The Constitution Party correlates with Trumps takeover of the repugnicans.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    the tune in the back of everyone's mind that can't quite be shaken out of the subconscious no matter how hard someone's tries...

now everyone has the words that have been escaping them...

but as grape states: but the same sense of urgency needs to prevail.

ipse
    A tune of fear and hate and prejudice.
    Most people don't know anyone directly affected by an act terrorism (except the ensuing terror.) No Syrian refugee terrorists have been found, anywhere. No risk of impending terror attacks has been made public. Yet, for all this nothing, people fear so much. They fear Muslims. They fear Syrians. They fear anyone they don't know.
    We should react, not overreact. Trump is an overreaction to a whole lot of nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    Most people don't know anyone directly affected by an act terrorism (except the ensuing terror.) No Syrian refugee terrorists have been found, anywhere. No risk of impending terror attacks has been made public. Yet, for all this nothing, people fear so much. They fear Muslims. They fear Syrians. They fear anyone they don't know.
    We should react, not overreact. Trump is an overreaction to a whole lot of nothing.
    +1

Prejudice, intolerance and bigotry are personal point of view arguments. "You do not approve of my personal values, fine, I don't approve of yours."

The common meanings involve personal values and are easily circular, with each involved in the definition of the other.

Speaking metaphorically; they are certificates of accomplishment from the graduate school of hard knocks. Experience is a good teacher. A bad experience is a better teacher.

To suggest that we must have personal experience with events to valuate events is foolish and obviates intellectualism and foresight, also known as prejudice.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-14-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post

Patriot Act and its continued implementation...as just one example of terror/terrorism.

More like, my individual liberty is not being eroded (taken from me) right here right now, so, I'm good.

Terror/terrorism visits you every day while you travel your daily route, every night while you are snug as a bug in your bed...the state never sleeps.

Dictionary - terror
    noun ter·ror \ˈter-ər, ˈte-rər\

: a very strong feeling of fear

: something that causes very strong feelings of fear : something that is terrifying

: violence that is committed by a person, group, or government in order to frighten people and achieve a political goal

Full Definition of TERROR

1: a state of intense fear
    2a: one that inspires fear : scourge
    2b: a frightening aspect
    2c: a cause of anxiety : worry
    2d: an appalling person or thing; especially : brat
    3: reign of terror
    4: violent or destructive acts (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands
    Dictionary - terrorism
    noun ter·ror·ism \ˈter-ər-ˌi-zəm\

: the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal

Full Definition of TERRORISM

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion
    Or...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Patriot Act and its continued implementation...as just one example of terror/terrorism.

More like, my individual liberty is not being eroded (taken from me) right here right now, so, I'm good.

Terror/terrorism visits you every day while you travel your daily route, every night while you are snug as a bug in your bed...the state never sleeps.

Or...
    Precisely my point. We are harmed every day by the over reaction to terror. The acts themselves have not yet touched me in any meaningful way (emotions aside), so it is this overreaction which IS the problem.
    Gun grabbers use the same tactics: "look at this terrible tragedy, it is time to take away everyone's guns because a few criminals did bad things."
    Painting with a broad brush doesn't serve a good purpose when we have the tools to take more precise action. There is no reason to discriminate against all Muslims when we know it is not all Muslims that are the problem. It's easy, but it's wrong and dangerous. (As in: A few people with guns do bad things so all people with guns are bad.)
    People on this site are fond of quoting "when they came for the..." memes. This is literally that thought incarnate.