Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinellas county LE group opposes OC

Pinellas county LE group opposes OC

Banned
    “I think with all rights come responsibility and I think this is one of those particular interests. I don’t even allow my law enforcement officers with my own department off-duty to carry their guns openly,” Slaughter said.

A self-outed commie. Rights don't come with responsibilities ... that's why they're rights .. duh.

Security or Safeyt ???

Clearwater police Chief Daniel Slaughter ......
    "Well, we don’t believe the open carry is totally necessary. It’s not about Second Amendment rights,” Slaughter said. “It’s not about the right to bear arms. The people that have concealed weapon permits can carry guns lawfully in a concealed manor. It would just cause a disruption in the public and make the public not feel safe.” (emphasis mine)

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said...
    "The four amendments wouldn't make the bill acceptable to him — or safe for people who openly display their guns. For instance, he said, if an officer arrives at the scene of a crime and sees someone with a weapon, "At a minimum, they're going to be thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse." (emphasis mine)

So the logic follows... a concealed penis doesn't make you a rapist per-se until you are. (hyperbole, I know)

Demonstrating once again, actions prove words mean nothing,
    https://www.google.com/#tbm=nws&q=ok...police+officer

What is it about the human nature that blames entire groups for the behaviour of a tiny minority?

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

These anti gun, anti rights people are sick in the head

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post

Clearwater police Chief Daniel Slaughter ......
    "Well, we don’t believe the open carry is totally necessary. It’s not about Second Amendment rights,” Slaughter said. “It’s not about the right to bear arms. The people that have concealed weapon permits can carry guns lawfully in a concealed manor. It would just cause a disruption in the public and make the public not feel safe.” (emphasis mine)
    Actually, Chief, it is a 2A issue. If Florida law simply stated that guns must be CC'd, and did not require a permit to do so, then it would not be an issue. Right now, you have to pay to have permission to carry; that is an infringement.

Your right to FEEL safe does not trump my right to BE safe.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Florida Constitution - ARTICLE I - SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—
    (a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law....

The Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution, delineates specific rights that are reserved for U.S. citizens and residents. No state can remove or abridge rights that are guaranteed by the Federal Constitution.

Concealed carry, in most states, is a licensed privilege. Open carry, in most states, is a right. And any state requiring a license to bear arms openly and concealed is a violation of the federal constitution.
    As stated above, no state can remove or abridge rights that are guaranteed by the Federal Constitution.

Which does Florida want to regulate, Open carry or Conceal carry? They cannot do both.

For Florida to not be in violation of the federal constitution is beyond me.

JMHO

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    These anti gun, anti rights people are sick in the head

No fair picking on the Police Chief of Scientology. Being right in the head disqualifies you from holding Slaughter's job.

BTW, did anybody go to the police gun show today? Handguns $50ea, long guns $100. I figured it would be good to turn in broken old single shot shotguns for $100 gift cards and buy decent stuff for $100 cash.
    Last edited by taxman; 12-12-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri threatens to shoot concealed carriers

"
    The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”

"He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”

"The Florida Police Chiefs Association voted Thursday to support open carry legislation — and that’s a bill the good sheriff staunchly opposes."

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtrib...aled-carriers/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, a staunch opponent of open carry, said the four amendments wouldn't make the bill acceptable to him --- or safe for people who openly display their guns.

For instance, he said, if an officer arrives at the scene of a crime and sees someone with a weapon, "At a minimum, they're going to be thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them --- or worse."

And if good citizen with a concealed weapon walks into, say, a bank during an armed robbery, Gualtieri added, "he's going to take one in the chest because he's a threat."
    http://wlrn.org/post/florida-police-...pen-carry-bill
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    The bill's sponsors are OK with the changes proposed by the police chiefs' group to remove personal consequences for messing with law abiding citizens. How do you Florida members feel about that?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-to-the-chest/

We'll have to see how the bill language ends up. I think anti gun Republicans will kill the bill again so it doesn't really matter.

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    "The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”
    Sounds like he's counseling his officers to commit aggravated assault.
    "He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”
    What the heck is a cop doing shooting at somebody without a visible weapon? That would be murder if somebody other than a cop did it.

[B]Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri threatens to shoot concealed carriers

I wonder how many times this has happened. Evidently enough that it's a concern for this sheriff.

Let's see, the police are inside the bank during the robbery and shoot out and the concealed carrying citizen just waltzes in.

Right. Pretty common.

AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    I wonder how many times this has happened. Evidently enough that it's a concern for this sheriff.

Let's see, the police are inside the bank during the robbery and shoot out and the concealed carrying citizen just waltzes in.

Right. Pretty common.

AD
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by taxman View Post
    The bill's sponsors are OK with the changes proposed by the police chiefs' group to remove personal consequences for messing with law abiding citizens. How do you Florida members feel about that?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-to-the-chest/
    i mean, are we striving for open carry, or are we going to meddle over the little stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post

Right. Pretty common.

AD
    Stop making sense, it ruins their narrative!
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Apparently Sheriff Bob Gualtieri sees everybody as a threat, even when they are not - us against them paranoia with a preemptive response. Dangerous attitude.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Apparently Sheriff Bob Gualtieri sees everybody as a threat, even when they are not - us against them paranoia with a preemptive response. Dangerous attitude.
    Gualtieri is only openly admitting something I've said (and been censored for) many times: The biggest threat to a citizen exercising their rights comes from law enforcement. Old news. And that's how the trash in the Florida legislature likes it.
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-14-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Gualtieri is only openly admitting something I've said (and been censored for) many times: The biggest threat to a citizen exercising their rights comes from law enforcement. Old news. And that's how the trash in the Florida legislature likes it.
    Mighty broad brush there.

Gualtieri is the exception not the rule.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?131683-Brevard-Co-Florida-Sheriff-Ivey-%91Now-is-the-time%92-for-citizens-to-arm-themselves

http://wlrn.org/post/florida-police-...pen-carry-bill

Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-14-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added

The police chiefs union only "supports" this because a majority believe there is a probability that there are enough pols in Tallahassee who want to do the right thing and throw us a bone by "allowing" the privilege of licensed open carry. I disagree with them, there is not enough support. The republican leadership is anti gun and several senior republican senators are anti gun.

My point was not that all or even most law enforcement officers will actively harass or assault open carriers, but that common private criminals who don't wear uniforms will be deterred from attacking open carriers and the many aggressive cops with infinite back up are not. The point is that an open carriers's day is more likely to be interrupted by a bullying/bored officer than over a common brigand because the brigand will see the gun and he knows he doesn't have backup or the support of the legal system. There are many rogue officers and they know their "brother officers", who may leave open carriers alone in the course of their duties, will stand behind an aggressive or rogue officer every single time.

The police chiefs union only "supports" this because a majority believe there is a probability that there are enough pols in Tallahassee who want to do the right thing and throw us a bone by "allowing" the privilege of licensed open carry. I disagree with them, there is not enough support. The republican leadership is anti gun and several senior republican senators are anti gun.

My point was not that all or even most law enforcement officers will actively harass or assault open carriers, but that common private criminals who don't wear uniforms will be deterred from attacking open carriers and the many aggressive cops with infinite back up are not. The point is that an open carriers's day is more likely to be interrupted by a bullying/bored officer than over a common brigand because the brigand will see the gun and he knows he doesn't have backup or the support of the legal system. There are many rogue officers and they know their "brother officers", who may leave open carriers alone in the course of their duties, will stand behind an aggressive or rogue officer every single time.

+1 (unfortunately)
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Only a broad brush outside of Gualtieri's jurisdiction. His statements seemingly apply to every single one of his deputies...of course, if you have data that contradicts my supposition I'll gladly retract.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Only a broad brush outside of Gualtieri's jurisdiction. His statements seemingly apply to every single one of his deputies...of course, if you have data that contradicts my supposition I'll gladly retract.
    I'm willing to bet that at least 75% of Gualtieri's deputies think he's full of crap and either don't care about or support open carry. However, the fact remains LE is the No 1. threat to a "civilian" open carrier. Criminals don't like armed targets and most people either don't care about OCers and even if they did they're not going to try and detain you and ask for your papers; the worst they might do is waste a 911 operator's time.

I'd like to know what Gualtieri's motivation is though, which is a mystery. Fire Marshalls in Oregon and New Jersey have fought legalization of pumping your own gas as in 48 other states. Obviously, they knew their testimony was BS. You don't go to law school and become sheriff by being a total moron or ignoramus. That's what's scary. Is sheriff Bob a little Hitler?
    Last edited by 77zach; 12-14-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Banned
    Good old Gualtieri and Pinellas County Sheriff's Department:

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...bbing-his-gun/

Apparently the Pinellas County Sheriff's department is staffed with criminals.
    Three months to deduce the obvious?
    Within hours the sheriff is providing cover and a cover-up?
    Attempted manslaughter?
    How about attempted murder in the first degree?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast