• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pinellas county LE group opposes OC

davidmcbeth

Banned
“I think with all rights come responsibility and I think this is one of those particular interests. I don’t even allow my law enforcement officers with my own department off-duty to carry their guns openly,” Slaughter said.

A self-outed commie. Rights don't come with responsibilities ... that's why they're rights .. duh.

Whitney

Security or Safeyt ???

:banghead:

Clearwater police Chief Daniel Slaughter ......
"Well, we don’t believe the open carry is totally necessary. It’s not about Second Amendment rights,” Slaughter said. “It’s not about the right to bear arms. The people that have concealed weapon permits can carry guns lawfully in a concealed manor. It would just cause a disruption in the public and make the public not feel safe.” (emphasis mine)

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said...
"The four amendments wouldn't make the bill acceptable to him — or safe for people who openly display their guns. For instance, he said, if an officer arrives at the scene of a crime and sees someone with a weapon, "At a minimum, they're going to be thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse." (emphasis mine)

So the logic follows... a concealed penis doesn't make you a rapist per-se until you are. (hyperbole, I know)

Demonstrating once again, actions prove words mean nothing,
https://www.google.com/#tbm=nws&q=oklahoma+police+officer

What is it about the human nature that blames entire groups for the behaviour of a tiny minority?

~Whitney

bc.cruiser

Clearwater police Chief Daniel Slaughter ......
"Well, we don’t believe the open carry is totally necessary. It’s not about Second Amendment rights,” Slaughter said. “It’s not about the right to bear arms. The people that have concealed weapon permits can carry guns lawfully in a concealed manor. It would just cause a disruption in the public and make the public not feel safe.” (emphasis mine)

Actually, Chief, it is a 2A issue. If Florida law simply stated that guns must be CC'd, and did not require a permit to do so, then it would not be an issue. Right now, you have to pay to have permission to carry; that is an infringement.

Your right to FEEL safe does not trump my right to BE safe.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Florida Constitution - ARTICLE I - SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—
(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law....

The Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution, delineates specific rights that are reserved for U.S. citizens and residents. No state can remove or abridge rights that are guaranteed by the Federal Constitution.

Concealed carry, in most states, is a licensed privilege. Open carry, in most states, is a right. And any state requiring a license to bear arms openly and concealed is a violation of the federal constitution.
As stated above, no state can remove or abridge rights that are guaranteed by the Federal Constitution.

Which does Florida want to regulate, Open carry or Conceal carry? They cannot do both.

For Florida to not be in violation of the federal constitution is beyond me.

JMHO

taxman

Banned
These anti gun, anti rights people are sick in the head

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No fair picking on the Police Chief of Scientology. Being right in the head disqualifies you from holding Slaughter's job.

BTW, did anybody go to the police gun show today? Handguns $50ea, long guns $100. I figured it would be good to turn in broken old single shot shotguns for $100 gift cards and buy decent stuff for $100 cash.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri threatens to shoot concealed carriers

"
The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”

"He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”

"The Florida Police Chiefs Association voted Thursday to support open carry legislation — and that’s a bill the good sheriff staunchly opposes."

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtri...ltieri-threatens-to-shoot-concealed-carriers/

77zach

We'll have to see how the bill language ends up. I think anti gun Republicans will kill the bill again so it doesn't really matter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

randian

"The good sheriff said Thursday that law abiding citizens exercising their Second Amendment rights will be “thrown down on the ground with a gun pointed at them — or worse.”
Sounds like he's counseling his officers to commit aggravated assault.
"He also said if a concealed carry unknowingly enters a bank during a robbery, the citizen is “going to take one in the chest because he’s a threat.”
What the heck is a cop doing shooting at somebody without a visible weapon? That would be murder if somebody other than a cop did it.

ADulay

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri threatens to shoot concealed carriers

I wonder how many times this has happened. Evidently enough that it's a concern for this sheriff.

Let's see, the police are inside the bank during the robbery and shoot out and the concealed carrying citizen just waltzes in.

Right. Pretty common.

AD

hammer6

I wonder how many times this has happened. Evidently enough that it's a concern for this sheriff.

Let's see, the police are inside the bank during the robbery and shoot out and the concealed carrying citizen just waltzes in.

Right. Pretty common.

AD

haha

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Right. Pretty common.

AD

Stop making sense, it ruins their narrative!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Apparently Sheriff Bob Gualtieri sees everybody as a threat, even when they are not - us against them paranoia with a preemptive response. Dangerous attitude.

77zach

Apparently Sheriff Bob Gualtieri sees everybody as a threat, even when they are not - us against them paranoia with a preemptive response. Dangerous attitude.

Gualtieri is only openly admitting something I've said (and been censored for) many times: The biggest threat to a citizen exercising their rights comes from law enforcement. Old news. And that's how the trash in the Florida legislature likes it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Gualtieri is only openly admitting something I've said (and been censored for) many times: The biggest threat to a citizen exercising their rights comes from law enforcement. Old news. And that's how the trash in the Florida legislature likes it.
Mighty broad brush there.

Gualtieri is the exception not the rule.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?131683-Brevard-Co-Florida-Sheriff-Ivey-%91Now-is-the-time%92-for-citizens-to-arm-themselves

[url]http://wlrn.org/post/florida-police-chiefs-will-back-revised-open-carry-bill

[/URL]

Last edited:

77zach

The police chiefs union only "supports" this because a majority believe there is a probability that there are enough pols in Tallahassee who want to do the right thing and throw us a bone by "allowing" the privilege of licensed open carry. I disagree with them, there is not enough support. The republican leadership is anti gun and several senior republican senators are anti gun.

My point was not that all or even most law enforcement officers will actively harass or assault open carriers, but that common private criminals who don't wear uniforms will be deterred from attacking open carriers and the many aggressive cops with infinite back up are not. The point is that an open carriers's day is more likely to be interrupted by a bullying/bored officer than over a common brigand because the brigand will see the gun and he knows he doesn't have backup or the support of the legal system. There are many rogue officers and they know their "brother officers", who may leave open carriers alone in the course of their duties, will stand behind an aggressive or rogue officer every single time.

carolina guy

The police chiefs union only "supports" this because a majority believe there is a probability that there are enough pols in Tallahassee who want to do the right thing and throw us a bone by "allowing" the privilege of licensed open carry. I disagree with them, there is not enough support. The republican leadership is anti gun and several senior republican senators are anti gun.

My point was not that all or even most law enforcement officers will actively harass or assault open carriers, but that common private criminals who don't wear uniforms will be deterred from attacking open carriers and the many aggressive cops with infinite back up are not. The point is that an open carriers's day is more likely to be interrupted by a bullying/bored officer than over a common brigand because the brigand will see the gun and he knows he doesn't have backup or the support of the legal system. There are many rogue officers and they know their "brother officers", who may leave open carriers alone in the course of their duties, will stand behind an aggressive or rogue officer every single time.

+1 (unfortunately)