Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

So I'm killing two birds with one stone here. Even though we still can't OC in TX for a couple more weeks, I figured I'd post this experience and start the proverbial "Post your experience" thread at the same time

So we did some running about today (getting new tires, grocery shopping, etc.) and recently due to the cooler weather I've been carrying OWB (T-shirt tucked in) but under my jacket. After getting tires fitted, we got lunch then we headed to our local grocery store. It was warmer so I actually left pistol and jacket in car but I still had OWB holster very visible.
    Anyhoo, we were checking out at the grocery store and some lady comes up to me and says "I noticed you're holstered, do they mind you open carrying in here?". So I told her I'm not actually carrying but that after Jan 1st I couldn't see anyone in this little town having a problem with it. She said "Oh cool because I have my CHL and I want to open carry but just worried about whether stores will let us in or what looks I'll get from other people."
    So I told her that I've open carried in several other states without any issues or problems or stinky eyes and that she shouldn't be worried about it at all.

Unfortunately, we were finishing up checking out so I forgot to tell her about OCDO. I was quite happy though that she noticed my [empty] holster and decided to chat with me about it. Just a couple more weeks folks!!

I OC'd yesterday! In my front yard. Right up to the street and at the property line where my next door neighbor was also OC'ng. So we just had ourselves a nice little OC sorta meetup. We might do 'gain this afternoon before kick-off.
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

I OC'd on our back drive - our dogs didn't mind, BBQ grill was okay w it too. Squirrels in de-leafing pecan tree were nervous because they don't know the difference between my 9mmS&W and my 22Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I OCed in the driveway and the squirrels seemed to be terrified. Incidentally, the gun stayed in its holster and no one and no thing was harmed. Amazing that mayhem didn't ensue from this simple, dangerous act.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    I OC'd yesterday! In my front yard. Right up to the street and at the property line where my next door neighbor was also OC'ng. So we just had ourselves a nice little OC sorta meetup. We might do 'gain this afternoon before kick-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    I OC'd on our back drive - our dogs didn't mind, BBQ grill was okay w it too. Squirrels in de-leafing pecan tree were nervous because they don't know the difference between my 9mmS&W and my 22Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    I OCed in the driveway and the squirrels seemed to be terrified. Incidentally, the gun stayed in its holster and no one and no thing was harmed. Amazing that mayhem didn't ensue from this simple, dangerous act.

Hahaha great stuff! 17 more days peeps and we'll be able to venture beyond the yards!

Is anybody else going batty waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by qednick View Post
    Is anybody else going batty waiting?
    Waiting? Waiting for what?
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Waiting? Waiting for what?
    Well it's like waiting for Christmas...except worse...because it's the new year

I work that night so no carrying on the first for me or the 2nd either probably

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSoul View Post
    I work that night so no carrying on the first for me or the 2nd either probably

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    That sucks! You should pull a sickie

Unicorn in Dallas - just driving by Toulouse in Dallas - 60 y/o guy getting out of Mini at Valet was OC a black Gun! on his bluejeans-buttondown - very OC!

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Unicorn in Dallas - just driving by Toulouse in Dallas - 60 y/o guy getting out of Mini at Valet was OC a black Gun! on his bluejeans-buttondown - very OC!

A somewhat early unicorn at that!

Founder's Club Member
    I look forward to reading this thread after 1-1-16 to stay aware of other's experiences.

Since I don't yet have a holster for my "big" gun, I am planning on carrying my 380 with the holster re-located to outside my belt. This is my way of "easing in".

Quote Originally Posted by RichardR View Post
    I look forward to reading this thread after 1-1-16 to stay aware of other's experiences.

Since I don't yet have a holster for my "big" gun, I am planning on carrying my 380 with the holster re-located to outside my belt. This is my way of "easing in".
    What kind of .380 do you have? I've found many good holsters on ebay and amazon without spending a ton of money.

We're looking forward to you posting your experiences

Founder's Club Member
    What kind of .380 do you have? I've found many good holsters on ebay and amazon without spending a ton of money.

We're looking forward to you posting your experiences
    Mine is a Kel-Tec P3AT. I have a nice little leather holster for it. Don't remember the maker. Used it in pocket or under belt and shirt. It should work underneath the belt and outside the shirt. We'll see.

Have looked on ebay a lot but haven't found the one.

Mine is a Kel-Tec P3AT. I have a nice little leather holster for it. Don't remember the maker. Used it in pocket or under belt and shirt. It should work underneath the belt and outside the shirt. We'll see.

Have looked on ebay a lot but haven't found the one.
    What big gun do you need a holster for? Perhaps I can help.

I like the Kel-Tecs, perfect for CC. Although I had a Ruger LCP which is very similar. Extremely concealable and lightweight. That was the last .380 I sold. Now I'm looking for something compact enough to OC and CC. Maybe something around the 20oz weight.

Founder's Club Member
    What big gun do you need a holster for? Perhaps I can help.

I like the Kel-Tecs, perfect for CC. Although I had a Ruger LCP which is very similar. Extremely concealable and lightweight. That was the last .380 I sold. Now I'm looking for something compact enough to OC and CC. Maybe something around the 20oz weight.
    CZ 75B Stainless 9mm

I like my S&W Shield 9mm. Thin and concealable but fits my hand and I shoot it accurately. And it doesn't hurt to shoot.

CZ 75B Stainless 9mm
    Richard, I'll dig around in my storage unit over the weekend. If I find something, I'll PM you for address to send it to. I might have something leather for my 92 or P220 that will work for the 75.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    I like my S&W Shield 9mm. Thin and concealable but fits my hand and I shoot it accurately. And it doesn't hurt to shoot.

That's the way I'm leaning! I was going to go my buddies gun shop but figured they'd be too busy Christmas eve. I'll go Monday to handle one and see how it feels.

Only 6 days to go folks!!

Founder's Club Member
    Richard, I'll dig around in my storage unit over the weekend. If I find something, I'll PM you for address to send it to. I might have something leather for my 92 or P220 that will work for the 75.

That's the way I'm leaning! I was going to go my buddies gun shop but figured they'd be too busy Christmas eve. I'll go Monday to handle one and see how it feels.

Only 6 days to go folks!!
    Thanks, qednick.

Less than 24 hours to go folks 'till unicorn season. Who's gonna be the first to post their "legal" TX OC handgun experience???

BTW Richard I sent you a PM.

San Antonio Wally Walk Complete....No Issues.

Started my Wally walk at 0015L (would have been at midnight but I was chomping on a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy's) and completed at 0115L in San Antonio. No issues.
    Last edited by justa2e2; 01-01-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Corrected Time Format

3 hours 58 minutes into 2016

Happy New Years Everybody . This now being 2016 we now have open carry in Texas ...yaaaahhhooooo...ok I would like to start this as the new thread of o-carrying experiences ...new year = new thread.Do I have the record? left down town ft worth shortly after turn of the year , went to waffle house and ate an entire double h-browns,two eggs ,toast ,glass of oj off the five dollar menu and hee hawed with some customers all while open carrying without incident.went to wallmart in Irving off of 183 gathered sausage, onion and when getting the banana's at 03:58 am ,little miss Walmart and the biggest male employee that was available came all the way from the midsection of the cash register isle to check my permit status, she was very nervous to where she kept dropping the few things she had in her hands, and her help just buzzed around on the other side of the fruits. I told her that she has no right to check permits of open carriers unless she was l.e.o. and then she needed an r.a.s... she said that she was told to do it and didn't really want to . I said well that may possible get you a charge of impersonating an officer, that is a felony ,also corperate wallmart policy allows what the state allows I have the number do you want it ,but if you deny me my legal right to carry you may also be in trouble with another new tx law ...I believe but not sure the first time is $1500 and the second one I think is $10,000 but not certain on this. i stated that i didn't see any 30.06 or 30.07 sign on the entrance she said there is one on the other side but it was behind some thing to where you can't really see it ,I said maybe there is one on the another side but not on the entrance I came in . ok then there may possible be another hit for improper signage , can I get you a cart so the you don't have to keep picking up the things that you keep dropping. now the cops are being called and I hear the guy say they couldn't send anyone unless I was being a problem because they don't really know what the law is also...little miss Walmart didn't have a name tag but kept telling me to just keep shopping anyway . a little open carry meet could help this store, so I think . like I mentioned earlier this started happened at 3:58 am any body else get accosted before me?well lets hear it.....update I have been back several times and no other contacts were made ....really it seems to me that texas has been handling o-carry very well
    Last edited by bushwacker; 01-12-2016 at 01:06 AM. Reason: updating
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
    Happy New Years Everybody . This now being 2016 we now have open carry in Texas ...yaaaahhhooooo...ok I would like to start this as the new thread of o-carrying experiences ...new year = new thread.Do I have the record? left down town ft worth shortly after turn of the year , went to waffle house and ate an entire double h-browns,two eggs ,toast ,glass of oj off the five dollar menu and hee hawed with some customers all while open carrying without incident.went to wallmart in Irving off of 183 gathered sausage, onion and when getting the banana's at 03:58 am ,little miss Walmart and the biggest male employee that was available came all the way from the midsection of the cash register isle to check my permit status, she was very nervous to where she kept dropping the few things she had in her hands, and her help just buzzed around on the other side of the fruits. I told her that she has no right to check permits of open carriers unless she was l.e.o. and then she needed an r.a.s... she said that she was told to do it and didn't really want to . I said well that may possible get you a charge of impersonating an officer, that is a felony ,also corperate wallmart policy allows what the state allows I have the number do you want it ,but if you deny me my legal right to carry you may also be in trouble with another new tx law ...I believe the first time is $1500 and the second one I think is $10,000 . i stated that i didn't see any 30.06 or 30.07 sign on the entrance she said there is one on the other side but it was behind some thing to where you can't really see it ,I said maybe there is one on the another side but not on the entrance I came in . ok then there may possible be another hit for improper signage , can I get you a cart so the you don't have to keep picking up the things that you keep dropping. now the cops are being called and I hear the guy say they couldn't send anyone unless I was being a problem because they don't really know what the law is also...little miss Walmart didn't have a name tag but kept telling me to just keep shopping anyway . a little open carry meet could help this store, so I think . like I mentioned earlier this started happened at 3:58 am any body else get accosted before me?well lets hear it

Walmart corporate policy is to follow state law. Whatever is legal is allowed, with one caveat. Local managers are allowed to request an open carrier to conceal if it makes the other customers uncomfortable.

In Georgia, it hasn't been an issue. Give it some time. The sheeple will get used to it and it will soon be a non-issue. Be polite, and show permit if requested at a private business.

Create a better impression of the carriers. Be nice, and soon enough the novelty will fade and you'll just be another boring customer.
    Last edited by janus; 01-01-2016 at 09:30 AM.

In The Woodlands, went to Valero on 1488 and then to Kroger. No problems and frankly don't think that anyone even noticed me at all. Just as it should be. Oh, and spent over $100 between the two that I didn't spend at HEB across the street from Valero.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast