• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

SpeedDaemon

Another uneventful day on Saturday. Home Depot and Kroger, where no one seemed to notice again (at least they didn't try to get me liquored up this time!), then Salon Rev in Richardson for a haircut, where I'm pretty sure they noticed, but didn't say anything. Stephani (the owner), in addition to the best haircuts in DFW, won't give you any grief.

nonameisgood

Edit: If someone can get the exact wording, that would be good. But my understanding as of now is that their signs, unless they differ by location, do not specifically mention licensing. Rather, they say that lawful concealed or open carry is allowed, but rifles must be checked (such as if you need to get them serviced). Please correct if this is inaccurate.

Yes. And I'll swing by to get a photo later if I can. I had never seen that sign before Jan 1.

Let's not confuse the issue, this is a Texas Open Carry thread, not a 2A thread. We have a privilege card, not rights. Not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qednick

Another uneventful day on Saturday. Home Depot and Kroger, where no one seemed to notice again (at least they didn't try to get me liquored up this time!), then Salon Rev in Richardson for a haircut, where I'm pretty sure they noticed, but didn't say anything. Stephani (the owner), in addition to the best haircuts in DFW, won't give you any grief.

Wish we had Kroger in this area :(

qednick

Think I'm on Facebook feeds (again)

Besides OC'ing at all the usual places (Wally World, Lowes, usual gas stations, subway, etc.) I stopped at the KFC (Kentucky Fried Cholera I call 'em) on Marbach near 410 for something to eat. As I found a table and sat down with my $5 "fill up" meal, pretty sure this one dude was either filming me or taking photos with his cell phone. When I looked at him he put his phone down. So I'm probably on somebody's facebook feed again already. :lol:

Note that I don't object to this at all... since it shows others who may be wanting to OC that there really are others out there doing it.

qednick

Well there is going to be a gun show in Fort Worth this weekend. I wonder if I will finally see someone actually OC?

Most likely. Though I suspect most you see will be unloaded and zip tied. May see some outside though :)

Not much to report on my end. Haven't been out much at all last day or two except for a couple of usual places and Petsmart.

HPmatt

Bank, coffee shop, office, cleaners - no one noticed [emoji853]

qednick

Many of the usual places: Subway, Lowes Market, Woodforest Bank, Monster Ink, Walgreens, Mini-Mart, etc. Did OC in China Bowl Chinese restaurant in Bandera last night for the first time. No issues. This morning went to trade some silver at Lone Star Coins on 281 @ Thousand Oaks only to find they've posted a big ol' 30.07 on their door. Shame. I'll be sending them a letter + NG=NB card and find someone else to do business with. I've been doing business with them for quite some time.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I'll be sending them a letter + NG=NB card and find someone else to do business with. I've been doing business with them for quite some time.

Texans are finally going to see the true meaning of the phrase: "Stick to your guns!"

Viejo Tejano

OCed in WalMart tonight

Open carried in WalMart tonight. Walked right past the guard, not even sure if he was awake or alive. Nobody seemed to notice, No fun or excitement at all.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Open carried in WalMart tonight. Walked right past the guard, not even sure if he was awake or alive. Nobody seemed to notice, No fun or excitement at all.

Welcome

That's the problem when open carry becomes common no fun or excitement.

I think the big build up in the press ect lead up to oh there is an open carrier big deal.

No MWAG calls no excitement means we are winning.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

So far today around Dallas, Motoliberty, RPM cycles, Bates #2 and Shishkabob's Cafe. A few eyes darting to my hip but nothing unsettling. Little girl sitting did look at my belt but didn't seem to be fearful nor upset. It's for the children, you know.

CrossFire

Just got back from running some errands with my brother. Went to Tandy Leather, Office Depot and Wells Fargo, no one noticed or no one cared. I have a friend here in Irving that also OC's and he has reported the same about his outings.

qednick

Friday night we decided to get pizza but the wife wanted me to grab her some salad to go with it. So I went to Lowes Market first to grab the salad. It was pretty busy but only 3 checkout lines open. As I was checking out, I noticed the lady that owns Cowboy Capital Pizza along with her daughter a few people behind me in line. I think something got said like "hey mom it's that guy with gun that comes for pizza". Then I heard someone else standing in the next line over mention the word "scary". I then went for the pizza but the owner didn't show up while I was there so I never found out what the conversation went like. Guess I will next time I go there.
I then got stopped by the girl scouts outside and ended up buying some cookies. No alarm bells there!

Saturday morning wife dragged me to San Antonio. Spent about an hour in Academy then she dragged me to J.C. Penneys. Don't know why but that's the only place I feel a bit odd OC'ing at. Anyway, after about 15 minutes of being dragged around the ladies underwear section I was getting traumatized and went outside to the bench.

Then hooked up with OCDO member MP(Retired) in the afternoon at OST Diner in Bandera for coffee followed by a stogie outside afterwards. More girl scouts outside OST but got into a great exchange with them. Clearly our OC was not an issue at all. The lady with them made a funny comment about MP maybe "taking the cookies forceably". :)

MP(Retired)

I am constantly amazed at the open attitude here in Bandera (or even, as I have found, mostly in SA). The lady outside of the OST cracked me up. She was so open and friendly and even jokingly mentioned about "me being armed" when I went into the restaurant and then poked fun at me when I came out. No wide eyed fear....no shrieking in terror and even the Girl Scouts weren't cowering in fear behind their mother's skirts. Just another 'ho-hum non-event'. LOVE IT.
As we talked about, concealed carry is an option as well as open carry. It's nice to be able to walk around with a tshirt rather than being FORCED to wear a cover shirt.
Regards and thanks for the "stogie". Next one's on me.
<MP-Ret> :monkey

JimmyJayPP

First time OC yesterday, went to Denver matress and lowes 2 times... today I made 2 more trips to lowes, payless shoes (ughh, wife made me...) and picked up a To go order at pizza hut.

All of it was uneventful minus Denver matress, where one of the sales guys was staring at my gun while talking to my friend for about 3 minutes.

But it went surprisingly well, not that I was expecting any issues though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First time OC yesterday, went to Denver matress and lowes 2 times... today I made 2 more trips to lowes, payless shoes (ughh, wife made me...) and picked up a To go order at pizza hut.

All of it was uneventful minus Denver matress, where one of the sales guys was staring at my gun while talking to my friend for about 3 minutes.

But it went surprisingly well, not that I was expecting any issues though.
Nice first day.

Guess you skipped the Wally World walk :p

Welcome to our world.