• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FIRE MISSION - Comment on permanent state-agency gun ban!

W.E.G.

FIRE MISSION - Comment on permanent state-agency gun ban!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 9:37 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: IMPORTANT ACTION ITEM: Comment on permanent state-agency gun ban!

The Governor has an “emergency” state-agency gun ban in place. That emergency ban runs out in 18 months. What will follow it, is a permanent gun ban.

The permanent gun ban is being done following the normal method - it is listed in the Regulatory Town Hall and is required to get comments from the public for about six weeks. I am told by someone who would know that if we can provide an overwhelming number of comments providing good reasons for the regulation not to be implemented, we stand a chance of stopping the regulation if the press picks up on the issue and runs with it.

Simply urging the Governor to drop the idea is a waste of time, as he has already made up his mind. We want to get the attention of the press and others.

As a bonus, with a huge negative response, the Governor cannot point to the Regulatory Town Hall and say that no one responded because they agree with what he is doing!

Unlike letters and email sent to the Governor, which he can hide from disclosure by placing them in his “Governor’s working papers,” your comments in the Regulatory Town Hall are public and visible to all.

Another important note. If at least 25 of us also request that the comment period be extended, it will get another 30 days added to the cut-off date (currently January 27th).

Here is the link where you can enter your comments:
http://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/Comments.cfm?StageID=7379

Click “Enter a comment”

Fill in your name, email address.

Suggested Subject/Title: Something like “This regulation is dangerous to public safety,” or “Why deny Virginia citizens right to self-defense?” or “Government buildings are targets of terrorism, why make it easier for terrorists to succeed?” (Whatever title you decide on, make sure it is clear by just reading the title that you oppose the regulation. Don’t depend on someone reading your message to figure out your position.)

Suggested message:
This proposed regulation will have the opposite of the intended affect by playing into the hands of terrorists, violent criminals, and the criminally insane. We have had no shootings in state agencies and this prohibition on those with a concealed handgun permit, some of whom have active and ongoing threats to their lives, is entirely without any justification and needlessly and recklessly endangers innocent lives.

Disarming good citizens (who are the only ones likely to obey the prohibition) does not make them safer.

Importantly the Governor has no authority for this regulation. If the General Assembly wanted the Governor to have such power, they would have granted it to him explicitly, as is required constitutionally.

This proposed regulation is a solution for which there is no problem. It endangers state employees, law abiding citizens, and the innocent by making state buildings a safe zone for terrorists, criminals, and the criminally insane to conduct their evil and savage actions.

This regulations should not be approved and the emergency regulation withdrawn.

Please extended the comment period for another 30 days.

——————

I encourage you to customize the message, including adding your own talking points. Some points you might wish to integrate (you don’t need to do all of them):

* All but two of the public massacres since 1950 had been committed by criminals and terrorists in “gun-free zones,” which is exactly what this regulation creates
* Off-duty police officers are also prevented from carrying
* Bans in rest stops send a very uninviting message to, and endanger the lives of, interstate travelers
* The cost of providing additional security to protect everyone who has been disarmed by this regulation will be prohibitive
* The ban won’t hold up in court, due to lack of authority by the Governor
* If parking lots are included in the ban, then citizens will be disarmed to and from their residences and everywhere in between

WE NEED TO CREATE A MASSIVE RESPONSE! Cross post this to your friends, family members, fellow employees, church groups, chat groups, etc., etc.

As of 9:33 PM on the first day of the comment period there are a total of only ELEVEN comments. You can check back on the Regulatory Town Hall using the comment link to watch as the comments pour in.

VCDL - LET’S ROLL AND ROLL HARD!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WE NEED TO CREATE A MASSIVE RESPONSE!

Cross post this to your friends, family members, fellow employees, church groups, chat groups, etc., etc.

Yes it's a long read, but extremely important - Please take the time.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are now 330 comments - all favoring our position - we need thousands.

Our strength is in our numbers and our commitment. Collectively our message cannot be ignored.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
There are now 330 comments - all favoring our position - we need thousands.

Our strength is in our numbers and our commitment. Collectively our message cannot be ignored.
I get an error message when clicking on the supplied link. According to a prior post, it looks like name & e-mail address are requested, but nothing is said about postal address... if you get my drift.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I get an error message when clicking on the supplied link. According to a prior post, it looks like name & e-mail address are requested, but nothing is said about postal address... if you get my drift.
Fixed the linky.

No your personal home address is not required. Your privacy is protected. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One is not required to live in VA to post and opinion...who knows, you may live in VA one day. And other states will look upon VA for guidance.

True - one does not need to be a resident of the Commonwealth and all help is appreciated.

Some have family and/or friends in Va., some may be thinking about retiring here, or just wish to visit/vacation in our state. All will want to be safe.

Please do not pretend to be a resident with an email addy that is obviously west coast or similarly geographically not Va. The antis will claim we are padding/skewing the results.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just checked. 1018 now, including mine.
Now if we could get that many people at the GAB on Lobby Day (Jan 18, 2016) we'd make national headlines and maybe push/pull some more pro bills forward :)

There is great power in numbers and truth!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I put this info on the Washington Open Carry Whatcom County web site. Hope to get you a few more comments.
Appreciate it.

The Va. governor is attempting to emulate his favorite lame duck POTUS. There are national implications here as McAuliffe hopes to be pulled into national politics as the running mate to she who would be queen.

bbMurphy

Just posted my comment. Current count is 1131. Keep passing the word and let the legislation know that this bill is a very BAD idea.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just posted my comment. Current count is 1131. Keep passing the word and let the legislation know that this bill is a very BAD idea.
Thank you for doing so.

Point of order. This not a bill and it is not before our legislature. It is an Executive Order proposal (illegal?) from our governor wherein comments are accepted.

We must see to it that they are read/tabulated and impact the final decision. Failure to stop/block this will result in virtual law.

Shining a very bright light is one of our ways to accomplish that..

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Almost 2000 comments - 99+% expressing extreme dissatisfaction with this proposed action by our governator.