Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: only one gun

only one gun

If for some reason you could only own one hand gun. What hand gun would that be? Mine would be my S@W 610 10mm. Good enough to hunt with and good for carry and target shoot. If i lived in another state it would be my Glock G 40 10 mm. But I live in pa and you can not hunt with a auto loader.

One gun questions come up every now and again.

If your so poor that you can't buy another you well own anything you can get your hands on and can afford.

If you are not that poor you well end up buying more than one.

There is no such thing as the perfect one gun.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

at that particular moment when your life or your loved ones were in peril and the only loaded gun you had available was a 22, and you successfully defended yourselves with it, then by golly that was the only firearm you needed.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Most guys with only one don't know how to use them very well.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Perfect one

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    One gun questions come up every now and again.

If your so poor that you can't buy another you well own anything you can get your hands on and can afford.

If you are not that poor you well end up buying more than one.

There is no such thing as the perfect one gun.
    I never said any thing about a perfect one. I just asked what would you pick if your could only have one. If the govt passed a unconstitutional illegal law and you abide by it. or you had to sell all you had to pay a bill what hand gun would you keep and what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birdman View Post
    I never said any thing about a perfect one. I just asked what would you pick if your could only have one. If the govt passed a unconstitutional illegal law and you abide by it. or you had to sell all you had to pay a bill what hand gun would you keep and what would it be?
    ah change the parameters midstream...

didn't get the response anticipated, hummmm

finished playing...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Since long guns seem unaffected by the question, I would default to my 1911 .45 as that is the one I carry the most frequently. I would certainly miss my powerful revolvers and my suppressed .22's, but the purpose of the handgun would be the go-to gun on my side everyday, and that will always be a .45 1911.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

A mid frame 357 mag revolver.

And that is probably the most versatile choice, and my second.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

fraid if only one...i'd opt for the fnh 5.7

ipse

Colt SAA 45 colt, Black powder frame circa 1873-1896.

Banned
    Get an AR pistol ... then you can shoot 22s, 223s, 50 cal, shotgun loads, almost anything.

Don't forget the 100 rd mags or a belt fed pistol option.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 12-16-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Except we'd still have real rifles and carbines and shotguns. Why waste that choice for my only pistol?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Except we'd still have real rifles and carbines and shotguns. Why waste that choice for my only pistol?
    A .45 supporter I guess.

I guess you could get a AR for a .45 cal round....http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/4328...t-%29-For-Sale

If you could only have either a hand gun or a rifle then what would you want? A rifle is my choice...so a AR pistol is a good choice. So he could have one gun that could shoot many many different rounds...your 1911 cannot do that.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    My S&W 38s snubby (J frame) is my love and joy, but my S&W 9 shield is starting to gain favor.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A .45 supporter I guess.

I guess you could get a AR for a .45 cal round....http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/4328...t-%29-For-Sale

If you could only have either a hand gun or a rifle then what would you want? A rifle is my choice...so a AR pistol is a good choice. So he could have one gun that could shoot many many different rounds...your 1911 cannot do that.
    Yes, if you change the parameters, I'll change my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birdman View Post
    If for some reason you could only own one hand gun. What hand gun would that be? SNIP...
    IF I could only own one, or had to sell all but one handgun, it would be my SS Springfield Armory 1911-A1 in .45 ACP. Still my EDC to this day, though I sometimes carry another platform.

Though I am currently looking for a more "modern" platform (read: "higher capacity than this beloved 104 year-old design*), my 1911 fits my hand naturally and has not jammed in the past ~350-400 rounds*.
    Working on it has let me understand the innards as best as I can without owning calipers, precision gun smithing equipment, or the parts to build a 1911 from the frame up.

*Recent events (including those the media and the guy in the White House won't call acts of terrorism) have made me look for a sidearm as naturally-pointing (in my hand) as the 1911.

**I decided to change the recoil spring and then had to make sure it was broken in; only one FTE which was likely due to limp-wristing when I was trying one-handed drills with my weak hand.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Fn FiveSeven USG

...........A video speaks louder than a MILLION words.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9wbtbn8Zo

Don't argue guys. It is what it is.

Happy holidays!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Yes, if you change the parameters, I'll change my answer.
    I guess the question for the OP would be: interested in a cal of round ?

want a 45 capable? A Judge can do that w/added 410 shotgun round capability ....

I'd keep my S&W M&P 9 Pro... though revolvers and larger calibers may be tempting, I still think 147 grain hollow point 9mm are some of the best handgun rounds available, coupled with the fact the gun holds 17+1.
    Last edited by cjohnson44546; 12-17-2015 at 07:53 AM.

No such thing as only one gun. I subscribe to the "if I lose my rifle, my pistol allows me to get another rifle" principle.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Powerful, accurate, reliable, and affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I guess the question for the OP would be: interested in a cal of round ?

want a 45 capable? A Judge can do that w/added 410 shotgun round capability ....
    I'd rather have a gun that does one thing outstandingly well than one that does everything, but crappy. Again, the question posed says I can still have a real shotgun.

One can argue that the .45 revolver can use .22 case adapters, too. Try one.

If I could only have one handgun it would be Springfield armory XD, either 9 or 45 with at least a four inch barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast