• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

only one gun

Mr Birdman

If for some reason you could only own one hand gun. What hand gun would that be? Mine would be my S@W 610 10mm. Good enough to hunt with and good for carry and target shoot. If i lived in another state it would be my Glock G 40 10 mm. But I live in pa and you can not hunt with a auto loader.

Firearms Iinstuctor

One gun questions come up every now and again.

If your so poor that you can't buy another you well own anything you can get your hands on and can afford.

If you are not that poor you well end up buying more than one.

There is no such thing as the perfect one gun.

solus

at that particular moment when your life or your loved ones were in peril and the only loaded gun you had available was a 22, and you successfully defended yourselves with it, then by golly that was the only firearm you needed.

ipse

DeSchaine

autowb458.gif

Mr Birdman

Perfect one

One gun questions come up every now and again.

If your so poor that you can't buy another you well own anything you can get your hands on and can afford.

If you are not that poor you well end up buying more than one.

There is no such thing as the perfect one gun.

I never said any thing about a perfect one. I just asked what would you pick if your could only have one. If the govt passed a unconstitutional illegal law and you abide by it. or you had to sell all you had to pay a bill what hand gun would you keep and what would it be?

solus

I never said any thing about a perfect one. I just asked what would you pick if your could only have one. If the govt passed a unconstitutional illegal law and you abide by it. or you had to sell all you had to pay a bill what hand gun would you keep and what would it be?

ah change the parameters midstream...

didn't get the response anticipated, hummmm

finished playing...

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Since long guns seem unaffected by the question, I would default to my 1911 .45 as that is the one I carry the most frequently. I would certainly miss my powerful revolvers and my suppressed .22's, but the purpose of the handgun would be the go-to gun on my side everyday, and that will always be a .45 1911.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Get an AR pistol ... then you can shoot 22s, 223s, 50 cal, shotgun loads, almost anything.

Don't forget the 100 rd mags or a belt fed pistol option.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Except we'd still have real rifles and carbines and shotguns. Why waste that choice for my only pistol?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Except we'd still have real rifles and carbines and shotguns. Why waste that choice for my only pistol?

A .45 supporter I guess.

I guess you could get a AR for a .45 cal round....http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/43286-2-AR-15-Complete-Uppers-(-410-Shotgun-45-Long-Colt-)-For-Sale

If you could only have either a hand gun or a rifle then what would you want? A rifle is my choice...so a AR pistol is a good choice. So he could have one gun that could shoot many many different rounds...your 1911 cannot do that.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A .45 supporter I guess.

I guess you could get a AR for a .45 cal round....http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/43286-2-AR-15-Complete-Uppers-(-410-Shotgun-45-Long-Colt-)-For-Sale

If you could only have either a hand gun or a rifle then what would you want? A rifle is my choice...so a AR pistol is a good choice. So he could have one gun that could shoot many many different rounds...your 1911 cannot do that.

Yes, if you change the parameters, I'll change my answer.

Rusty Young Man

If for some reason you could only own one hand gun. What hand gun would that be? SNIP...

IF I could only own one, or had to sell all but one handgun, it would be my SS Springfield Armory 1911-A1 in .45 ACP. Still my EDC to this day, though I sometimes carry another platform. :)

Though I am currently looking for a more "modern" platform (read: "higher capacity than this beloved 104 year-old design*), my 1911 fits my hand naturally and has not jammed in the past ~350-400 rounds*.
Working on it has let me understand the innards as best as I can without owning calipers, precision gun smithing equipment, or the parts to build a 1911 from the frame up.

*Recent events (including those the media and the guy in the White House won't call acts of terrorism) have made me look for a sidearm as naturally-pointing (in my hand) as the 1911.

**I decided to change the recoil spring and then had to make sure it was broken in; only one FTE which was likely due to limp-wristing when I was trying one-handed drills with my weak hand.