Thread: C BS News confused, reports NFA numbers as "heavily armed!" 50X Underestimate!

C BS News confused, reports NFA numbers as "heavily armed!" 50X Underestimate!

C BS News: "Wyoming has the highest number of registered guns per capita of any state in America. For every 1,000 residents, there are 195.7 guns, about three times the rate of second-place D.C. That's 114,052 registered firearms in a state with a population of only 582,658 people.
    [ ... ]
    Florida comes in at number 30, with 10.2 guns for every 1,000 residents. That's a staggering 199,828 registered firearms dispersed among 19,552,860 people. Here, the co-owner of the National Armory gun store helps a client consider firearms in Pompano Beach, Florida.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most...in-america/30/

In the case of the instant report, I suspect that the medium led the message. That the producers were more interested in their whizz-bang scripting than fact checking.

Eugene Volokh clarifies: CBS News: Florida has a ‘staggering’ 10.2 guns for every 1,000 residents
    [ ... ]
    The problem, as best I can tell, is that (1) CBS News used the wrong dataset, and (2) the authors and editors of this story don’t know even the most basic things about gun ownership. How else can one underestimate it by a factor of, conservatively estimated, about 50 (assuming Florida has about half the gun ownership rate of the United States generally, something that I expect is an underestimate)?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...000-residents/

Will C BS Moonves/Rhodes' heads explode? The gun-grabbers are grasping at straws.

The WaPo site hosting The Volokh Conspiracy has a sidebar, Most Read, today exclusively WaPo on guns. It includes, "After Newtown shooting, mourning parents enter the lonely quiet."

We'll be seeing more of WaPo's Eli Saslow' phrase I suspect, now that good-guys-with-a-gun-MAY-NOT-stop-active-shooter has failed. The lonely quiet redounds well with Dylan Thomas' gentle good night.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-15-2015 at 07:03 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Wyoming and many states don't require guns to be registered their numbers are most likely way off.

Just another BS story by the old media pushing gun registration.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 12-15-2015 at 07:37 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Wyoming and many states don't require guns to be registered their numbers are most likely way off. [ ... ]
    Even NFA? That was the whole point of the articles, C BS's and Eugene Volokh.

I think your horse needs watering. When it's nose is in the trough, kick it in the belly and it will read more in.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Ok, I call BS on the fact that Michigan is NOT on that list. We have LOTS of people that own MULTIPLE firearms, and yet we don't break the top 30 while Maryland and Conn are on there???
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Even NFA? That was the whole point of the articles, C BS's and Eugene Volokh.

I think your horse needs watering. When it's nose is in the trough, kick it in the belly and it will read more in.
    A lot of states only require NFA weapons to be permitted through the feds thus there is no state registry of them.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do