Thread: The separate thread, computers, OS, windoze and Apple

The separate thread, computers, OS, windoze and Apple

My Christmas Gift from Milady Wife this year is an iPad Pro that will supplant my nearly ten years old PC. I started with M$ MS-DOS in 1981 (well, after HP PPC's) and weathered its evolution into Windoze. I defenestrated for M$'s complete cave to the value added providers, and moved to *l*inux Fedora three years ago - seven semi-annual OS updates.

Recently my old laptop has begun to fail mechanically, so that I can't fix it, after replacing quite a number of components to keep it going. I saw the handwriting on the wall and started broadly hinting back in September. And I tired of the constant configuration battle between FOSS, my preference, and the dreaded value added providers. I have a nice GPU in this machine but its drivers are closely held and I gave up updating my linux-kernel months ago to keep a GPU-driver compatible version.

The hardest realization is of the incompatibility between Apple iOS SMS and the rest of the world. So I'll have to keep my Android cellphone for a while. And my narrow-band WiFi will likely drive me to LTE. Milady Wife still uses Vista and doesn't GAS - until her business software fails completely. Then the new software will cost as much a a new computer.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'm using W7 on a Dell Optiplex 755, on the wife's laptop which came with W-scat/W8.1. I recently loaded on a external harddrive Lubuntu 15.1 on hers. What a massive increase in speed, though some things Linux does not have a lot of support for such as Hulu. But then she does not use her laptop for streaming, just browsing mostly.

She is stuck on her tablet mostly, she just got a new 50 buck fire, which does almost everything a PC does. We have gone through 4 tablets over 5 years, but then they are not expensive. I personally do not like smart phones, or tablets I prefer a PC. I have no intention to upgrade to W10, I had enough problems finding W7 drivers for the Dell.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 12-15-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I refuse to switch to Apple. A Walled Garden is still a prison. Plus as a gamer no other OS comes close to what can be done on a Windows machine. I tried Linux years ago but I'm not software savvy enough to make it work and the video game support for it was subpar.

Glad to see some fellow Linux users here. Aknazer I suggest you retry again since you said you tried it a few years ago...it has come a long way with hardware support, etc. especially in distros such as Ubuntu and Fedora.
    I use Crunchbang linux at work on an "old" box...blows all the new *doze PCs here out the water in terms of speed. Fedora I use on my laptop at home. If there's something that you absolutely must have *doze for, you can install VirtualBox for free.

I used to be an Apple fan boy. No more. Even though it's a *nix based system, it's very proprietary and Apple have pretty much become the MS of the old days that they despised so much. I got rid of my iPhone ages ago simply because of the whole having to use iTunes business.

I also used to program on *doze...so I know just how bad the internals of their system are.

I'm a Linux geek. My main system, server, and media center are all Linux at home. The only MS thing I have is my Xbox 360, which I rarely turn on because of the 15 minutes of updates each time.

This is my current server's uptime:

uptime
    13:16:22 up 401 days, 23:32, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.05

At my old job, we had a machine with almost 2700 days of uptime. It was turned on at the beginning of the project and never rebooted or crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by blahpony View Post
    I'm a Linux geek. My main system, server, and media center are all Linux at home. The only MS thing I have is my Xbox 360, which I rarely turn on because of the 15 minutes of updates each time.

This is my current server's uptime:

uptime
    13:16:22 up 401 days, 23:32, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.05

At my old job, we had a machine with almost 2700 days of uptime. It was turned on at the beginning of the project and never rebooted or crashed.
    Impressive uptime! I also run a Centos server for some simple work purposes but, until recently, didn't have a battery backup and the power went out Other than that, seems pretty much near impossible to crash the system.

I should add that the only true *doze machine I use now is at the RV park we have our rig at. I bought a $35 marine WIFI antenna to get a better signal from the free WIFI they have there. Although the antenna works perfectly (gets 100% signal now), it really needed a *doze machine. So I bought a used WinXP machine for $69, hooked up the antenna, and share out the connection via ICS and a wireless router within the rig. Unfortunately, the free WIFI at the park requires a username/password to be entered every hour. So I wrote a small *doze console app in C/C++ that simulates the clicks in the web browser every 55 minutes to reset it. Now we can stream shows and live TV in the rig via our Roku without any issues.