Thread: Life, liberty and the killer state. Richard Rahn, CATO Inst. at The Washington Times

Life, liberty and the killer state. Richard Rahn, CATO Inst. at The Washington Times

[ ... ]
    The risk of being murdered in the United States is also much lower than many think. The nation is about average in the world when it comes to the murder rate, but if you take out Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Chicago, the United States has one of the lowest murder rates in the world, despite or perhaps because of the high rate of legal gun ownership. Several of the cities with the highest rate of gun violence also have the most restrictive gun laws.
    [ ... ]

http://www.washingtontimes.com/multi...-1215-8201jpg/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-killer-state/

I wonder how the info-graphic was ordered.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-15-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Dick Rahn is a economist, not a gun guy. His commentary is not focused on the restoration of individual liberty.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Dick Rahn is a economist, not a gun guy. His commentary is not focused on the restoration of individual liberty.
    John R. Lott, Jr. is an economist too, on what is his commentary focused?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Cars must be outlawed. Deaths from these machines demand it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    ^ ^ ^ Would far prefer cancer be outlawed. ^ ^ ^

Don't think we could get both houses the come to terms on heart disease though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The economists--in particular Lott--have brought a perspective and statistical rigor to the area of RKBA this both enlightening and useful. The linked article in the OP is a prime example. Most political (and thus legal) assaults on our RKBA are premised on the mistaken belief that our nation is paying a horribly high price in terms of homicides, preventable suicides, and accidents in order to respect our 2A rights. Solid, peer reviewed/reviewable published studies and papers that debunk that belief are powerful arrows in our quivers.

While our rights should not be dependent on practical matters, the reality is not always the ideal. So good to have solid research showing what most here believe to be true.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    You tell me. All you need to do is to review their respective writings, the focus of their writings. Not much effort is required in this regard to be honest.

Mr. Rahn is not focused on restoring individual liberty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._Rahn
    More writings from Mr. Rahn. http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/richard-w-rahn/

Mr. Rahn writes of those things that I learned 30+ years ago and practice to this day.

Mr. Lott is, seemingly, singularly focused on our RKBA, the foundation of individual liberty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lott
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Man, I have broken a lot of girls hearts (too many) I guess.

I want to be in the "alcohol induced" category ....

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ^ ^ ^ Would far prefer cancer be outlawed. ^ ^ ^

Don't think we could get both houses the come to terms on heart disease though.
    I have one stent. Dropping dead, I think, beats the fight with cancer. I got friends and family that beat cancer and some that didn't. Quality of life becomes a big issue. JMHO