• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You guys are lucky to be able to open carry.

77zach

I am very pleased that Texas is getting privilege card open carry because that means Florida has a chance. In fact, I thought Florida would have it sooner than Texas. We have lots of "conservatives" here and Texas has them as well. The typical conservative here likes to hunt, listens to Rush Limbaugh, and loves to talk about weapons when it has to do with the US government sending "our boys" to "fight for our freedom" in places they can't find on a map. They get off on government uniforms and thanking people for their "service". They like the idea of permitted concealed carry and criminal control over "gun control", but when it comes to the right to bear arms or open carry, you get a weird look at best and derision at worst. They've never really heard of the bill of rights and don't know what it says.

Glockster

No home invasions? No BGs roaming your neighborhood - not one, ever?

I'm sitting here at home on my PC, 6:30 in the morning, all doors and windows locked and my 1911 is resting comfortably on my right hip. Wouldn't want it to feel left out and lonely. Seriously, this falls in the category of would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. No paranoia, just following what I learned lo those many years ago with the BSA = Be prepared :)

You misunderstood me though as what I meant by not worrying about carrying at home was not having to worry about OC vs CC at home with no commute to any place that prohibits OC. I do keep at my desk both my Bond Snakecharmer .410 (both barrels) and my H&K P40, just in case a BG comes a calling. And I really cut down on repeat door to door interruptions by answering the door OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You misunderstood me though as what I meant by not worrying about carrying at home was not having to worry about OC vs CC at home with no commute to any place that prohibits OC. I do keep at my desk both my Bond Snakecharmer .410 (both barrels) and my H&K P40, just in case a BG comes a calling. And I really cut down on repeat door to door interruptions by answering the door OC.

Understand mo' better now.

Having answered my door in a similar state of attire for so many years, strangers ringing/knocking has all but stopped - think that there must be a hex sign at the end of my driveway. :lol:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Two days before Xmas my wife yells some one just drove in 830pm, I live at a dead end rd and dead end driveway. We don't get many visitors. I get up and about then someone knocks on the door I have my SR1911 in its serpa. I go and open the door with my foot positions to block it if needed.

There stood a beautiful blond about 30 years of age holding a plate full of cookies. Her mouth fell open when she saw my 1911. I said Hi Jenna she is a school friend of my daughter's who we have known for a long time.

I thanked her for the cookies and away she went, she dropped a plate at my daughters a mile away and told her laughingly that she almost got shot at her Dads house.

My daughter came over the next day and asked how I open the door for Jenna so I showed her well at least you didn't have your gun in your hand.

I said I almost did.

Very good cookies by the way.

Don't know why Jenna was surprise she knows I carry all the time.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

You open the door before knowing who it is?

Dam and the door wasn't even locked. Some of us still live in really low crime areas

I guess a bad guy could have just turn the knob.

But that would have caused a harder response then just knocking.

Stuff happens but I would not want to be the guys or guys coming in wanting to do harm at my place

Last edited:

rushcreek2

The BIG advent of licensed OC in Texas will be like the recent BIG lunar eclipse that went virtually unnoticed because of cloudy skies.

I'm going to predict that any licensed citizen actually wanting to get attention in a Texas public square on or after New Years Day while lawfully open carrying will have to do it naked from the waist down.... just my 2 cents.

Law abider

It is good news indeed for Texas. But carry in all it's forms (OC,CC) is already prescribed in 2A as bearing arms shall not be prohibited. Regardless of legal opinion from SCOTUS or otherwise who claim that the word bear doesn't really mean that, we have a long way to go before we can bear arms as our founders intended for law abiding citizens. The opinion on Heller vs DC SCOTUS claims that:1. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose
This can mean to be that we can not bear arms when the government says so and we an only bear BB guns if they say so. They are limiting 2A to past cases and comparing 18th century guns to ours. Maybe I should prefer semi auto derringers firing .60cal balls or a semi auto muskets. Maybe they are more deadly.
I thought that Alaska tops us all be sticking to the original meaning of 2A, but I could be wrong.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I thought that Alaska tops us all be sticking to the original meaning of 2A, but I could be wrong.

Alaska is permitless, but it is not truly Constitutional. Among other restrictions, one must be 21 to conceal.

Vermont is the best Constitutional example.

jsimmons

I don't live in Texas and was surprised a couple of years ago when I heard you couldn't open carry in texas.

But you guys are lucky to be able to open carry next month.

At least now when I speak with others about open carry and they always bring up Texas as a place where they say people open carry, big misconception I know, it won't be that wrong anymore, and I won't have to tell them you can't do it in Texas.

But only if the state gives you a license to conceal carry. It's still an infringement.

But you guys deserve this because Texas is supposed to be the most gun friendly place on the planet, and even the country, full of cowboys you know, and it was crazy you guys were not allowed to open carry.

"Deserve"? "Most gun friendly"?

When you have to pay the state to carry, it's "permission", which can be revoked at the whim of the state. A right cannot be revoked.

WalkingWolf

But only if the state gives you a license to conceal carry. It's still an infringement.

"Deserve"? "Most gun friendly"?

When you have to pay the state to carry, it's "permission", which can be revoked at the whim of the state. A right cannot be revoked.

I don't know why it is so hard to get privilege fanbois to understand this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It takes many bricks to be joined together to make a solid foundation and ultimately a strong house/home.

I do not disparage Texas for going with permitted OC. Is it perfect? No, but it is a vast improvement over no OC. Tomorrow is another day - the work is not over.

Again - congratulations Texas.

nobama

YFzRnPm.jpg

Thats just Awesome!!! cool gun too.

WalkingWolf

It takes many bricks to be joined together to make a solid foundation and ultimately a strong house/home.

I do not disparage Texas for going with permitted OC. Is it perfect? No, but it is a vast improvement over no OC. Tomorrow is another day - the work is not over.

Again - congratulations Texas.

I do not disparage TEXANS for being saddled with permitted OC, but there are groups, and politicians that are clearly to blame. OCT made it loud, very loud, and clear they wanted OC without permits. They had to settle for less, it is better than what they had before, but not what they intended.

Keep the flowers, and the perfume.

stealthyeliminator

I do not disparage TEXANS for being saddled with permitted OC, but there are groups, and politicians that are clearly to blame. OCT made it loud, very loud, and clear they wanted OC without permits. They had to settle for less, it is better than what they had before, but not what they intended.

Keep the flowers, and the perfume.

And those few politicians that fought to bring up constitutional carry? The establishment is already at work trying to keep them from being re-elected.

Grundi

Congratulations, Texans, on OC!!!

First, congratulations to All Texans for being able to OC from the far North East.

Second, a lot of effort has been spent praising or moaning about what was accomplished. Is it a victory, is the 2A still infringed, etc. Each state has 2 constitutions that "the people" have decided to have govern them - Federal and State. The Federal Constitution holding more over-arching power, with the State Constitution having more day-to-day local influence. The Texas State Constitution has ceded the governance of 2A within Texas to the Legislature. I think Texas is headed in the right direction working within the framework that "the people of Texas" has established.

So, YES, today, a victory for the US 2A/Tx 1/23!!!

US Constitution, Amendment II. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Texas Constitution, Article 1, Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.