• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas State Park OC

Glockster

I got this from a memo sent out state-wide to all volunteers tonight -- addressing the OC policy for volunteers (which will be prohibited, but CC is and will still allowed). But I thought that this particular portion might be of interest as it gives a bit of insight into what to expect from TPWD regarding checking for CHL/LTC if you're OC'ing as this is quite likely reflective of what TPWD LE have been told/trained to about OC.

The handgun must be in a belt or shoulder holster. The law does not specify what that holster has to look like. There is specific provision in the law that requires the person to carry the license on them. Common sense indicates most people would have it with them just as they do their driver’s license or hunting/fishing license. There is no requirement under the law absent a peace officer’s reasonable suspicion or probable cause to present their license.

And this additional information is from their FAQs for Volunteers, indicating more on what the likely LE policy is about checking for CHL/LTC, as well as stating that they have no education institutions:

Q: TPWD has some facilities that are used for educational purposes can those facilities get an official designation and ban guns?

A: Certain places are listed in the penal code as places where a firearm cannot be carried at all – even by someone with a license to carry. Facilities like Sea Center Texas are not an educational institution as that term is used in statutes.

Q: Can I ask someone to see the license to carry?

A: A peace officer may however it is advised to only do so in situations where the officer has probable cause or reasonable suspicion to believe the person is committing some offense. Volunteers should not ask to see the license as it would be a violation of the new firearms policy. (Volunteers will not take actions to discourage members of the public from the lawful carrying of firearms in areas of the Department that are generally accessible to the public.)

Last edited:

hovercat

Quite a difference in the responses of an agency responsible to the Governor, and one responsible to a Democrat mayor.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...it gives a bit of insight into what to expect from TPWD regarding checking for CHL/LTC if you're OC'ing...
Since OCDO is a nationwide forum, and many of us like to keep apprised of things going on elsewhere, how about explaining abbreviations like "TPWD"?

Last edited:

Glockster

Since OCDO is a nationwide forum, and many of us like to keep apprised of things going on elsewhere, how about explaining abbreviations like "TPWD"?

Sorry, was not even thinking about someone outside of TX trying to figure that one out. :uhoh: