Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Tannerman's and the Straw Purchase attempt

  1. #1
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35

    Tannerman's and the Straw Purchase attempt

    Travis Bishop is an FFL in the Martinsburg area. He's a strong supporter of our 2a/WV 3-22 rights and also very vehement at wanting criminals be brought to justice.
    A few weeks ago someone attempted a straw purchase at his shop, Tannerman's Weapon Systems. Travis noticed the tell tale signs of someone attempting one and called the authorities. The person went away in handcuffs.
    It was a short lived victory when it was found out that the person was only charged with possession of marijuana and let go.
    Travis has been on the air with several stations and was going to be interviewed by WHAG. However the day before he was to be interviewed, he was informed that the interview was canceled with no reason.
    We all know if the person who called it in was anti-gun, that this would be all over the airwaves.
    However this is an FFL, someone who is very pro Gun, pro 2a, and pro Constitution. Of course the mainstream media isn't interested as it wouldn't fit their agenda of "guns and those who deal with it are bad".
    Share away. Listen in, take a look at their facebook page. They'll have more details (photos, rap sheet, etc) there.

    Today at 3:20 pm Travis will be on the air with John Cardillo right before the Glen Beck show pertaining to the recent STRAW PURCHASE events here at the shop. Tune in on His website.
    1290 WJNO
    www.johncardillo.com. All links to live stream are on homepage

    https://www.facebook.com/tannermans/?pnref=story

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    --snipped-- Travis noticed the tell tale signs of someone attempting one and called the authorities. The person went away in handcuffs.
    It was a short lived victory when it was found out that the person was only charged with possession of marijuana and let go.
    The revolving door still is working and spinning them back out on the street.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    The regulation of firearms is prohibited. Maybe the cop knew that and no charges were pressed. However drug possession is also outside the federal remit and is a state matter.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    Travis Bishop is an FFL in the Martinsburg area. He's a strong supporter of our 2a/WV 3-22 rights and also very vehement at wanting criminals be brought to justice.
    A few weeks ago someone attempted a straw purchase at his shop, Tannerman's Weapon Systems. Travis noticed the tell tale signs of someone attempting one and called the authorities. The person went away in handcuffs.
    It was a short lived victory when it was found out that the person was only charged with possession of marijuana and let go.
    Travis has been on the air with several stations and was going to be interviewed by WHAG. However the day before he was to be interviewed, he was informed that the interview was canceled with no reason.
    We all know if the person who called it in was anti-gun, that this would be all over the airwaves.
    However this is an FFL, someone who is very pro Gun, pro 2a, and pro Constitution. Of course the mainstream media isn't interested as it wouldn't fit their agenda of "guns and those who deal with it are bad".
    Share away. Listen in, take a look at their facebook page. They'll have more details (photos, rap sheet, etc) there.

    Today at 3:20 pm Travis will be on the air with John Cardillo right before the Glen Beck show pertaining to the recent STRAW PURCHASE events here at the shop. Tune in on His website.
    1290 WJNO
    www.johncardillo.com. All links to live stream are on homepage

    https://www.facebook.com/tannermans/?pnref=story
    An attempted "straw purchase" is not illegal, only providing false information on the 4473.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    An attempted "straw purchase" is not illegal, only providing false information on the 4473.
    You would have to get all the details from the people who were there.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The revolving door still is working and spinning them back out on the street.
    Yup. Repeat offender, nice long rap sheet, other issues going on when they were pulled over/arrested. Yet only a poss/mari charge (oh and released).

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I never called the cops about any straw purchases ... attempted or completed.

  8. #8
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    http://bearingarms.com/dot-need-more...orce-existing/

    4473 was completed...

    Travisí instincts were right, and as the man with Franklin completed the 4473, he called a local trooper to alert him that he had a straw purchase going down in his store.

  9. #9
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    truly, why on earth would a nice state trooper care about a alleged strawman, 4473 completed or not, since any violation would be on the federal venue not anything on a state level.

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 12-21-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    truly, why on earth would a nice state trooper care about a alleged strawman, 4473 completed or not, since any violation would be on the federal venue not anything on a state level.

    ipse
    From the article

    Travisí instincts were right, and as the man with Franklin completed the 4473, he called a local trooper to alert him that he had a straw purchase going down in his store. The trooper indicated that he would call local police to put a tail on the individuals to see where they went after they left his store, and Travis returned to the counter.
    Continuing to run the new purchaserís 4473, Travis made the call to the state police to report Franklinís return to his store and inform them of their stop at the pawn shop. Troopers arrived and parked in his garage, waiting for the right time to enter and apprehend Franklin and her accomplices.

    During her arrest, troopers found a large amount of marijuana on her and thousands of dollars of stolen credit cards, plus a scanner which can capture credit card information at the register. Trooper Campbell informed Travis they were booking Franklin on the marijuana possession to hold her in custody and that Agent Smith with the ATF had been notified to handle the firearms charges from that point.
    Apparently they do care about laws being broke, no matter the level.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The revolving door still is working and spinning them back out on the street.
    Because MJ possession is just so heinous.

    I'd need more details to have an opinion about the alleged straw purchase. It was only supposed to be illegal to buy for a PROHIBITED person, and that, too, is overbroad. And all ATF had to do, though, was change a few definitions, and basically changed the law.
    Last edited by MAC702; 12-22-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member 2ndAmendmentMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle of WV
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Because MJ possession is just so heinous.

    I'd need more details to have an opinion about the alleged straw purchase. It was only supposed to be illegal to buy for a PROHIBITED person, and that, too, is overbroad. And all ATF had to do, though, was change a few definitions, and basically changed the law.
    Somebody doesn't pay attention to question 11a on the 4473 then...

  13. #13
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    snipp...

    Apparently they do care about laws being broke, no matter the level.
    of course the nice trooper does...ask them...

    article quote: In West Virginia, the ATF is the only agency allowed to prosecute these cases right now. unquote.

    seems, as other members have stated the trooper can't do a bloody thing about a strawman anything.

    however, i'm still confused about the FFL's strawman mode mentioned in the article:
    quote:
    After talking with them only a few short minutes, he alerted his store employees to go into “straw purchase” mode. This slows things down behind the counter and allows them time to further assess the situation and call law enforcement if necessary.

    Continuing to press for information, Travis asked if they had ever owned or handled handguns before and they both indicated, ‘oh yeah. yeah, we have guns.’ but neither one was able to say what kind or model they were. After perusing the store talking about several options and deciding on a handgun, they said, ‘yeah, we’ll take that one.’
    unquote

    as stated...there is something wrong with this entire story... this entire event was much to do about nothing...? what was accomplished by the FFL going into straw purchase mode, or the troopers arresting the woman on substance charges, or even enforcing the outstanding warrant from another state... since quote: Although she had outstanding warrants in other states and several additional charges in West Virginia from her arrest at Travis’ store, she was a free woman. unquote.

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 12-22-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentMom View Post
    Somebody doesn't pay attention to question 11a on the 4473 then...
    You mean, the UPDATED 4473? Someone didn't pay attention to the actual statement.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •