Thread: Driver in Vegas plows into folks on sidewalks ...

Banned

Driver in Vegas plows into folks on sidewalks ...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/us/las...destrians-hit/

Ruled out terrorism ..... sounds like a woman who lost some $$$ on the strip, maybe.

How does square w her baby on board in a car seat? The kid told her 'mom - you lost all my college money on roulette?' - swerve over there and run over those crackers....

I would better think she saw her Ex in the crowd and he owed her $10k in child- support...w a $50k life insurance policy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Hey Obama! Shouldn't you use your executive pen to ban assault cars?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Why is this national news?????

Hello, I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now in lieu of my conceal carry permits. So I have been open carrying around Reno NV. This is my first post.

Anyway, when I saw this on the news last night the first thing that came to my mind was open carry is legal along the strip of LV. I was thinking if I saw a car coming at me like that, would it be justifiable to draw and shoot the driver (stop the threat) as I dodge the car? Granted that the vehicle may not immediately stop until it hits a barrier or slows down.

What would be the correct action?

Quote Originally Posted by cire 5th View Post
    [ ... ] What would be the correct action?
    Arguably not, no.

We legally armed citizens do not enjoy the qualified immunity of a cop. If you were to see a threatening automobile a better course of action would be to step aside.

Welcome to OCDO.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Slow news day .. plus its Vegas !

Get the heck out of the way.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Because they can
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

How could you get hit by a No-va? Vega for sure but not a nova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

quote from sheriff...i can't at this point rule out terrorism...really!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Originally Posted by color of law
    I thought what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.....

Hello, I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now in lieu of my conceal carry permits. So I have been open carrying around Reno NV. This is my first post.

Anyway, when I saw this on the news last night the first thing that came to my mind was open carry is legal along the strip of LV. I was thinking if I saw a car coming at me like that, would it be justifiable to draw and shoot the driver (stop the threat) as I dodge the car? Granted that the vehicle may not immediately stop until it hits a barrier or slows down.

In this specific situation I would say no. You would never get a clear shot at a moving vehicle on the sidewalk on the strip. Even if you hit the driver the car will continue forward movement and you will probably be hit anyway as you just wasted valuable time shooting at the car.
    Then there is your reason for shooting. How are you going to articulate that you positively identified a threat? There is no way your going to tell the difference between intent and an accident. What if the driver just had a seizure from all those lights?
    As Firearms Instructor said, "get the heck out of the way."
    Welcome to the forum! This site has been a huge asset for many people, myself included.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Centurion

There are certainly OTHER causes for a vehicle to swerve into or at pedestrians that have no malice involved..... Medical Conditions among these (seizure, unconsciousness due to diabetes, heart attack or cardiac arrest for a short list). How would you determine that no medical conditions are involved in the few 10ths of a second prior to your deciding to attempt your "self defense" in this hypothetical? Personally, in this scenario there in my opinion no way to determine this is an act of malice during an incident as you've described.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    There are certainly OTHER causes for a vehicle to swerve into or at pedestrians that have no malice involved..... Medical Conditions among these (seizure, unconsciousness due to diabetes, heart attack or cardiac arrest for a short list). How would you determine that no medical conditions are involved in the few 10ths of a second prior to your deciding to attempt your "self defense" in this hypothetical? Personally, in this scenario there in my opinion no way to determine this is an act of malice during an incident as you've described.
    If I guy was having a medical episode swinging a sword 3 feet from you, are you going to consider this? I think that the guide is "reasonable" and this does not vary from a LEO or to you.

I don't think I would shoot upon seeing a car barreling down at me, I would first get to a place of safety. Now, if the person goes by and then does it again and again wherein I am better prepared, I would shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    In this specific situation I would say no. You would never get a clear shot at a moving vehicle on the sidewalk on the strip. Even if you hit the driver the car will continue forward movement and you will probably be hit anyway as you just wasted valuable time shooting at the car.
    Then there is your reason for shooting. How are you going to articulate that you positively identified a threat? There is no way your going to tell the difference between intent and an accident. What if the driver just had a seizure from all those lights?....
    You pretty much articulated my thoughts as well.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Centurion
    If I guy was having a medical episode swinging a sword 3 feet from you, are you going to consider this? I think that the guide is "reasonable" and this does not vary from a LEO or to you.

I don't think I would shoot upon seeing a car barreling down at me, I would first get to a place of safety. Now, if the person goes by and then does it again and again wherein I am better prepared, I would shoot.
    Not likely a person having a seizure or unconscious is going to be swinging a sword at me or anyone else. Red herring attempt failed.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Not likely a person having a seizure or unconscious is going to be swinging a sword at me or anyone else. Red herring attempt failed.
    No likely a person with a seizure would be continually driving on sidewalks. Red herring reeled in.

No likely a person with a seizure would be continually driving on sidewalks. Red herring reeled in.
    How do you figure? They aren't in control and it happened while driving, a very normal activity in the close vicinity of unprotected sidewalks, and the whole point was that the carrier would have to decide instantly if the operator is out of control or not. If it was common to wave swords about in public normally, and then have a seizure, I could see the debate.

Shoot an out-of-control sword wielder and he drops. Shoot an out-of-control car operator, and it remains an out-of-control car through the distances involved in self-defense of that car.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    How do you figure? They aren't in control and it happened while driving, a very normal activity in the close vicinity of unprotected sidewalks, and the whole point was that the carrier would have to decide instantly if the operator is out of control or not. If it was common to wave swords about in public normally, and then have a seizure, I could see the debate.

Shoot an out-of-control sword wielder and he drops. Shoot an out-of-control car operator, and it remains an out-of-control car through the distances involved in self-defense of that car.
    Are you saying that the lady was having seizures? And shoot an out-of-control operator and disable the person, you're in no worse position right?

Are you saying that the lady was having seizures? And shoot an out-of-control operator and disable the person, you're in no worse position right?
    No, I did not say that.