• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driver in Vegas plows into folks on sidewalks ...

HPmatt

How does square w her baby on board in a car seat? The kid told her 'mom - you lost all my college money on roulette?' - swerve over there and run over those crackers....

I would better think she saw her Ex in the crowd and he owed her $10k in child- support...w a $50k life insurance policy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bikenut

Hey Obama! Shouldn't you use your executive pen to ban assault cars?

cire 5th

Hello, I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now in lieu of my conceal carry permits. So I have been open carrying around Reno NV. This is my first post.

Anyway, when I saw this on the news last night the first thing that came to my mind was open carry is legal along the strip of LV. I was thinking if I saw a car coming at me like that, would it be justifiable to draw and shoot the driver (stop the threat) as I dodge the car? Granted that the vehicle may not immediately stop until it hits a barrier or slows down.

What would be the correct action?

HPmatt

How could you get hit by a No-va? Vega for sure but not a nova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

quote from sheriff...i can't at this point rule out terrorism...really!!

ipse

decklin

Hello, I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now in lieu of my conceal carry permits. So I have been open carrying around Reno NV. This is my first post.

Anyway, when I saw this on the news last night the first thing that came to my mind was open carry is legal along the strip of LV. I was thinking if I saw a car coming at me like that, would it be justifiable to draw and shoot the driver (stop the threat) as I dodge the car? Granted that the vehicle may not immediately stop until it hits a barrier or slows down.

In this specific situation I would say no. You would never get a clear shot at a moving vehicle on the sidewalk on the strip. Even if you hit the driver the car will continue forward movement and you will probably be hit anyway as you just wasted valuable time shooting at the car.
Then there is your reason for shooting. How are you going to articulate that you positively identified a threat? There is no way your going to tell the difference between intent and an accident. What if the driver just had a seizure from all those lights?
As Firearms Instructor said, "get the heck out of the way."
Welcome to the forum! This site has been a huge asset for many people, myself included.

JoeSparky

Centurion

There are certainly OTHER causes for a vehicle to swerve into or at pedestrians that have no malice involved..... Medical Conditions among these (seizure, unconsciousness due to diabetes, heart attack or cardiac arrest for a short list). How would you determine that no medical conditions are involved in the few 10ths of a second prior to your deciding to attempt your "self defense" in this hypothetical? Personally, in this scenario there in my opinion no way to determine this is an act of malice during an incident as you've described.

davidmcbeth

Banned
There are certainly OTHER causes for a vehicle to swerve into or at pedestrians that have no malice involved..... Medical Conditions among these (seizure, unconsciousness due to diabetes, heart attack or cardiac arrest for a short list). How would you determine that no medical conditions are involved in the few 10ths of a second prior to your deciding to attempt your "self defense" in this hypothetical? Personally, in this scenario there in my opinion no way to determine this is an act of malice during an incident as you've described.

If I guy was having a medical episode swinging a sword 3 feet from you, are you going to consider this? I think that the guide is "reasonable" and this does not vary from a LEO or to you.

I don't think I would shoot upon seeing a car barreling down at me, I would first get to a place of safety. Now, if the person goes by and then does it again and again wherein I am better prepared, I would shoot.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In this specific situation I would say no. You would never get a clear shot at a moving vehicle on the sidewalk on the strip. Even if you hit the driver the car will continue forward movement and you will probably be hit anyway as you just wasted valuable time shooting at the car.
Then there is your reason for shooting. How are you going to articulate that you positively identified a threat? There is no way your going to tell the difference between intent and an accident. What if the driver just had a seizure from all those lights?....

You pretty much articulated my thoughts as well.

JoeSparky

Centurion
If I guy was having a medical episode swinging a sword 3 feet from you, are you going to consider this? I think that the guide is "reasonable" and this does not vary from a LEO or to you.

I don't think I would shoot upon seeing a car barreling down at me, I would first get to a place of safety. Now, if the person goes by and then does it again and again wherein I am better prepared, I would shoot.
Not likely a person having a seizure or unconscious is going to be swinging a sword at me or anyone else. Red herring attempt failed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No likely a person with a seizure would be continually driving on sidewalks. Red herring reeled in.

How do you figure? They aren't in control and it happened while driving, a very normal activity in the close vicinity of unprotected sidewalks, and the whole point was that the carrier would have to decide instantly if the operator is out of control or not. If it was common to wave swords about in public normally, and then have a seizure, I could see the debate.

Shoot an out-of-control sword wielder and he drops. Shoot an out-of-control car operator, and it remains an out-of-control car through the distances involved in self-defense of that car.

davidmcbeth

Banned
How do you figure? They aren't in control and it happened while driving, a very normal activity in the close vicinity of unprotected sidewalks, and the whole point was that the carrier would have to decide instantly if the operator is out of control or not. If it was common to wave swords about in public normally, and then have a seizure, I could see the debate.

Shoot an out-of-control sword wielder and he drops. Shoot an out-of-control car operator, and it remains an out-of-control car through the distances involved in self-defense of that car.

Are you saying that the lady was having seizures? And shoot an out-of-control operator and disable the person, you're in no worse position right?