• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia to stop honoring some out-of-state concealed handgun permits

TFred

Big news. If anyone sees the complete list, please post ASAP.

TFred
Virginia to stop honoring some out-of-state concealed handgun permits

Beginning Feb. 1, Virginia will no longer honor the out-of-state concealed handgun carry permits of gun owners from more than two dozen of the states with which the commonwealth currently has reciprocal privileges.

The move, expected to be announced today by Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring, follows an audit conducted by the attorney general’s office and the Virginia State Police pursuant to the state criminal code, which requires both agencies to determine whether reciprocating states “meet the requirements and qualifications” for recognition of their concealed handgun permits.

Law enforcement sources said late Monday night that following the monthslong audit process, it was determined that more than two dozen of the 30 states whose permits are currently recognized in the commonwealth do not meet Virginia’s standards.

The audit determined that the requirements for gaining a concealed handgun permit in those states were not sufficient to keep a person from obtaining a permit who would otherwise be disqualified under Virginia law.

States whose permits will no longer be recognized in Virginia include several that border the commonwealth — North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee.

People convicted of a felony, domestic abusers, those adjudicated mentally ill or incompetent, recently convicted drunk drivers and dishonorably discharged military personnel are among those determined by the Virginia General Assembly to be ineligible to lawfully conceal handguns.

The sources said the move to deny reciprocation does not change current law, but is aimed at protecting existing Virginia law by not lowering standards for out-of-state permit holders with fewer restrictions on concealed carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's not like I haven't been on my soap box about using CHPS to push pro gun legislation for years.
I'm not gloating either. McAuliffe is a crafty SOB.
Expect more during his term and God help us if we have another anti governor.

taurusfan

It's not like I haven't been on my soap box about using CHPS to push pro gun legislation for years.

The Governor continues his "common sense" assault of concealed carry permit holders.

You certainly have been on your box and not the fence about that.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Governor continues his "common sense" assault of concealed carry permit holders.

You certainly have been on your box and not the fence about that.

What's done is done...now it's time to join VCDL and save what's left. I think lessons have been learned.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Give anti's the power they well chose to be more anti MN is going through the same thing The legislator thought they were loosing up the permit requirements.

But the anti's use it to say we can restrict so until we have true constitutional carry these games well continue .

homestar

Washington Post included the full list: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

I've looked at this from the perspective of a person holding a Virginia resident CHP who wants to travel the country. I don't know the methods of all states, but I'm working on the assumption that some are quid pro quo and if we don't honor them, they may not honor us.

Of the 25 states listed, 4 do not currently honor VA resident CHPs: Delaware, Minnesota, Washington and Wisconsin

12 are either constitutional carry or accept everyone but VT residents, and are therefore safe for VA CHP holders: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Dakota and Tennessee

(Luckily some of our neighbors are in that category)

States that I think are at possible risk of losing recognition of the VA CHP are: Florida, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wyoming (who is constitutional but only for residents)

Montana is an odd one because it presently only blocks a handful of New England states, DC, HI and PR.

That makes 8 or 9 potential states that VA CHP holders could lose the right to carry in if those states react to this move by Herring.

Last edited:

TFred

According to the WaPo article, the only remaining states are:

West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Of these, ONLY Texas issues non-resident permits.

TFred

Edit to Correct: Utah does issue non-resident permits, but only if you already have your own state's permit, if your state issues permits. For those of us who choose to remain OFF the Virginia computerized - tell the rest of the world that you have a permit - system, Utah is not an option.

Last edited:

TFred

And this MUST be said...

Herring won his election by a mere 165 votes, out of over 2 MILLION votes cast.

If you are a CHP holder who did not go vote for Obenshain, well, thank you very much, this is partly YOUR FAULT.

Yes, I'm angry.

TFred

Ken56

Not having bothered to research VA carry laws as yet, I too wonder exactly where OC for every one is legal and what other laws come into play with that. In Michigan simply entering your car with your gun on you makes it a concealed weapon. Permit needed for car carry, otherwise its locked in the trunk unloaded or be an instant criminal for doing that simple act. Is a permit needed for car carry in VA?

Now that I am a TN resident I won't be visiting VA anytime soon. I think I will even contact my state rep. and urge him to do the same to VA. residents and revoke our reciprocity with VA. Someone stated that if you didn't vote in the last election there then you are partly at fault as this is what you get when you take voting for granted. All I can say is WOW, you poor bastards in VA, having someone so anti constitution as McAuliffe is mind numbing. This should rile up everyone who values their rights.

Only a brain dead moron would think that this will make anyone safer. rant over.

Bob1

That interactive poll accompanying the Richmond Times article TFred linked to indicates 79% of the respondents disagree with the gov's approach. Now what I want to know is where the hell were they when Herring won the last election by the thinnest of margins.

hafnhaf

In VA you are still considered OC in a car if you keep it in your OC rig, put it in the glove box or console, or on the seat. Just dont hide it under the seat or intentionally conceal it from view under stuff.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
In VA you are still considered OC in a car if you keep it in your OC rig, put it in the glove box or console, or on the seat. Just dont hide it under the seat or intentionally conceal it from view under stuff.
Excellent!

On the other hand, VCDL, if they choose to do so, could start an "OC all the time!" campaign to residents and visitors to their fine state. What better way to show the unintended consequences of the anti-gunners?

Which brings up another question... where can OCers not go that CCers can (and vice versa)?

homestar

Excellent!

On the other hand, VCDL, if they choose to do so, could start an "OC all the time!" campaign to residents and visitors to their fine state. What better way to show the unintended consequences of the anti-gunners?

Which brings up another question... where can OCers not go that CCers can (and vice versa)?

There is some leeway for VA CHP holders when passing through or entering school property, provided that they don't exit the vehicle. That safety net is not there for open carrying, as I understand it.

solus

Excellent!

excellent suggestion as this would be a great opportunity to turn the tables....

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
More car carry info:

AG's opinion: http://www.oag.state.va.us/files/Opinions/2012/11-111_Newman.pdf

"... It is my opinion that, provided the handgun is properly secured in a container or compartmentwithin the vehicle, persons who may lawfully possess a firerum but have not been issued a concealedweapons permit may possess, in a vehicle, a handgun that is loaded and the handgun may remain withinreach of a driver or passenger under such conditions. It further is my opinion that, for a handgun to be"secured in a container or compartment," such storage tool need not be locked. Finally, it is my opinionthat an individual may not keep a firearm stored in his vehicle at a place of employment if there is acompany policy or signage prohibiting firearms on the premises. ..."

From HandgunLaw.us: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

§ 18.2-308 Personal Protection; Carrying Concealed Weapons; When Lawful to Carry.Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal,private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in thevehicle or vessel. For purposes of this subsection, the term "compartment" includes a console, glovecompartment, or any other area within or on the vehicle or vessel that possesses the ability to be closed andthe term "secured" means that a container or compartment be closed but not necessarily locked;