• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia to stop honoring some out-of-state concealed handgun permits

taurusfan

"Va. AG Herring revokes recognition of concealed carry handgun permits from 25 states"

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30808470...oncealed-carry-handgun-permits-from-25-states

"Because of laws requiring mutual recognition of permits, Florida, Louisiana, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wyoming will no longer recognize Virginia concealed carry permits."

Something has to be done by the Legislature to stop this.

homestar

Redstate article on new democrat elite VA gun restrictions on 2A.

http://www.redstate.com/2015/12/22/...concealed-carry-permit-reciprocity-25-states/

From that writeup: "The practical effect of this move is that your Virginia concealed carry permit used to be good in 31 states, and now it's good in 6. Of the 6 states that remain, only West Virginia is even close to Virginia."

That's not at all what it did... It affected people while they are IN Virginia and have permits from other states. The way states react to our CHP is a different matter altogether.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Redstate article on new democrat elite VA gun restrictions on 2A.

http://www.redstate.com/2015/12/22/...concealed-carry-permit-reciprocity-25-states/
I tried registering there (against my better judgement), but got nowhere.

From the article: "One of the more odious ways that gun regulation hampers the ability of lawful gun owners to exercise their second amendment rights is the current patchwork quilt of handgun licensing requirements."

Not that it's news to anyone here, but since when is the RIGHT to keep and bear arms have anything to do with licensing??

utbagpiper

Banned
According to the WaPo article, the only remaining states are:

West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Of these, ONLY Texas issues non-resident permits.

Utah has always issued permits to non-Utah-residents. We currently have about twice as many permits held by non-Utah-residents as held by residents.

Our most notable limitation on non-resident permits is that if your home State recognizes a Utah permit, you must have your home State permit before Utah will issue you a non-resident Utah permit. You also have to complete a class taught by a Utah certified instructor. The bulk of the class covers Utah law on carrying and use of deadly force. Widely recognized permit.

Go to bci.utah.go for information.

Charles

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
According to the WaPo article, the only remaining states are:

West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Of these, ONLY Texas issues non-resident permits.

I don't know about WV, MI, or OK, but UT most certainly does issue non-resident permits.

solus

give the VA AG time...he'll work out even more stringent details to correct his oversight(s)...

ipse

AJG

Washington Post included the full list: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...2ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html
I've looked at this from the perspective of a person holding a Virginia resident CHP who wants to travel the country. I don't know the methods of all states, but I'm working on the assumption that some are quid pro quo and if we don't honor them, they may not honor us.
Of the 25 states listed, 4 do not currently honor VA resident CHPs: Delaware, Minnesota, Washington and Wisconsin
12 are either constitutional carry or accept everyone but VT residents, and are therefore safe for VA CHP holders: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Dakota and Tennessee
(Luckily some of our neighbors are in that category)
States that I think are at possible risk of losing recognition of the VA CHP are: Florida, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wyoming (who is constitutional but only for residents)
Montana is an odd one because it presently only blocks a handful of New England states, DC, HI and PR.
That makes 8 or 9 potential states that VA CHP holders could lose the right to carry in if those states react to this move by Herring.

That's great info.. thanks

TFred

Utah has always issued permits to non-Utah-residents. We currently have about twice as many permits held by non-Utah-residents as held by residents.

Our most notable limitation on non-resident permits is that if your home State recognizes a Utah permit, you must have your home State permit before Utah will issue you a non-resident Utah permit. You also have to complete a class taught by a Utah certified instructor. The bulk of the class covers Utah law on carrying and use of deadly force. Widely recognized permit.

Go to bci.utah.go for information.

Charles

I don't know about WV, MI, or OK, but UT most certainly does issue non-resident permits.
Apologies for my error, which I have corrected in my post above.

For those few of us who choose to not participate in Virginia's "tell EVERYONE you have a permit, so you can be harassed by LEOs all over the country" system, Utah is not an option, which is why I did not include it in the list. I do wish Utah would rescind their requirement that you have your own state's permit before they will issue a non-resident permit.

TFred

Shovelhead

For those few of us who choose to not participate in Virginia's voting process.
This is what can happen.

The Truth

A precision attack on bot CC and OC by these scumdogs.

I'm angry about this, and I don't CC. What if they come after OC next?

wrearick

I didn't realize we had such an issue with folks not able to get VA CHPs going to other states to get a permit and then coming back. In fact, I didn't realize most bad guys don't bother with getting a permission slip to CC....they just do it. (douse the previous with a heavy dose of sarcasm please).

I wonder what an "audit" of offenses that can suspend a driver's license would reveal. There is probably a much bigger problem with folks driving in VA with licenses from other states that have committed offenses that would have had their license suspended if it had been issued by Virginia. Think of the threat posed to Virginians by these folks driving/bypassing our state's standards simply because their home state does not follow our standards. Something needs to be done to protect us. Can the State Police act upon a suggestion to not recognize the driver licenses issued by states that don't pass muster with our standards?

In all seriousness, the wife and I will be attending Lobby Day again this year and have room for 2-3 folks in our vehicle anywhere along the path between Virginia Beach and Richmond if someone wants/needs a ride.

77zach

We'll see if the general assembly does anything. They should pass straight recognition in response. But, they will not. And even if they did they wouldn't overcome the filth's veto.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TFred

I wonder what an "audit" of offenses that can suspend a driver's license would reveal. There is probably a much bigger problem with folks driving in VA with licenses from other states that have committed offenses that would have had their license suspended if it had been issued by Virginia. Think of the threat posed to Virginians by these folks driving/bypassing our state's standards simply because their home state does not follow our standards. Something needs to be done to protect us. Can the State Police act upon a suggestion to not recognize the driver licenses issued by states that don't pass muster with our standards?
This is undoubtedly true, and a FAR greater risk to the safety of the citizens of Virginia.

However, I believe Federal law requires all states to accept all other states' driver's licenses, WITHOUT regard to differences in qualifications, training, or testing. Hmmmmm.

TFred

kcgunfan

We fixed these games in Missouri by getting rid of reciprocity. If you want to carry a concealed weapon in Missouri, all you need is some permit from any state. The party or desires of our AG notwithstanding.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

The pen

What the stroke of a pen giveth, the stroke of a pen can take away. When will gun owners learn to stop worshiping at the alter of the coveted concealed permit.

wrearick

something like this would address the non-problem this new decision claims to be addressing ....

Pennsylvania Superior Court has ruled that PA Residents must have a PA issued Permit to carry in Pennsylvania. See Decision Here. (from handgunlaw.us website)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Edit to Correct: Utah does issue non-resident permits, but only if you already have your own state's permit, if your state issues permits. For those of us who choose to remain OFF the Virginia computerized - tell the rest of the world that you have a permit - system, Utah is not an option.

This is still not correct. Utah only requires that you have your state permit first IF your state recognizes the UT permit. Many states like CA, NV, OR, and others, do not recognize the UT permit and their residents can get the UT permit directly.

Yes, this is irrelevant to the current issue in VA, but it is an important clarification.

Last edited: