• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia to stop honoring some out-of-state concealed handgun permits

scooter348

I don't make a habit of leading every conversation with the details of my personal decisions.

I would estimate I'm in the top 5 percentile of active involvement on RKBA issues among the general population. I can't single-handedly oust a tyrannical governor, but I can choose to obtain a permit that doesn't publish my information to traitorous law enforcement agencies.

I've done all I can do, but apparently it is yet once again, not enough.

TFred

While I'm no where near as active as you TFred, I am becoming more involved in the political process. I thank our traitorous Governor and Attorney General for getting me off my butt and into the trenches.

utbagpiper

Banned
I don't make a habit of leading every conversation with the details of my personal decisions.

No one has suggested you should. But if you are going to be vague in your reasons for a decision, don't get snarky if someone misunderstands your reasons.

I've done all I can do, but apparently it is yet once again, not enough.

When we do all we can do, it often becomes enough, eventually. I wish you the very best in your on going efforts to help correct the problems with Virginia's office holders and its permit system.

I have found that we need the broadest coalition possible to make progress politically. And that small, incremental, but steady progress compounds over time.

Charles

OC for ME

By that logic, the "stroke of a pen" can remove OC as well. ...
A stoke of a pen can revoke the privilege, even if the revocation is only temporary, for a single individual and no legislator or judge is required.

From my earlier post, "Virginia (collectively) made some mistakes..........." ...
Many have indicated that getting shall issue was hard, and seems now that getting it back, for out-of-staters is going to be hard...again.

https://ago.mo.gov/divisions/public-safety/concealed-carry-reciprocity

Missouri has it written into our statutes that we recognize all state issued permits. RSMo 571 is but one such statute.

It is truly unfortunate that the many of the Good Citizens of the Commonwealth are apathetic to the plight of their rights.

TFred

You're much too conservative (modesty?) in your estimate TFred. See you as front and center, the edge of a gladius or point of a spear, in defending/promoting the RKBA.

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. I guess I keep focused on those who do much more than I do, and always realize that there is more that could be done!

TFred

solus

A stoke of a pen can revoke the privilege, even if the revocation is only temporary, for a single individual and no legislator or judge is required.
snipp...

as noted of late...

pushing the square edged wheel back up the hill...

ipse

TFred

Kansas wants explanation of Virginia handgun permit decision

Sounds like Kansas is peeved!

TFred

TOPEKA, Kan. — Kansas' top prosecutor wants to know why the state's concealed carry firearm licenses aren't being honored in Virginia.

[....]

Schmidt says Virginia first recognized Kansas licenses in February 2014 after six years of periodic discussions between the two states. He says he is unaware of any changes in Virginia law since then that would have explained the reconsideration.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

TFred

TOPEKA, Kan. — Kansas' top prosecutor wants to know why the state's concealed carry firearm licenses aren't being honored in Virginia.

[....]

Schmidt says Virginia first recognized Kansas licenses in February 2014 after six years of periodic discussions between the two states. He says he is unaware of any changes in Virginia law since then that would have explained the reconsideration.

It would be interesting to know if Kansas is pondering criminal charges for those who may be guilty of fraudulent acts, whether they be in the establishment or disestablishment of reciprocity agreements.

TFred

It would be interesting to know if Kansas is pondering criminal charges for those who may be guilty of fraudulent acts, whether they be in the establishment or disestablishment of reciprocity agreements.
I wonder if Herring will respond with any more courtesy than his office has been responding with to Virginia citizens - by pointing them to the OAG webpage!

TFred

Repeater

'Red' Herring claims Utah permit ruse nearly useless

TFred

[....]

Seems the AG doesn't like the Utah idea very much:

Utah Gun Permits Nearly Useless in Virginia, AG Says - Worried of changes, Virginia gun owners taking non-resident classes
After Attorney General Mark Herring’s decision to stop honoring concealed weapons permits from 25 states, some Virginia gun owners have been seeking workarounds.

Worried that their permits will become invalid in those states, some Virginia residents are seeking non-resident permits from Utah, which also allow them to carry in Virginia and a number of other states.

But Herring’s office says that those gun owners should think twice about shelling out money for classes to become Utah certified.

“The Utah non-resident permit that folks are allegedly getting is only good in 30 states right now, and it’s not even recognized in Pennsylvania, South Carolina or Florida,” says Michael Kelly, Herring’s press secretary...

Recently, Kansas’ attorney general said in a news release that Herring’s action was a "surprise and a tremendous disappointment to many law-abiding Kansans who hold concealed carry licenses."

Perhaps a PRO could comment. ;)

va_tazdad

“The Utah non-resident permit that folks are allegedly getting is only good in 30 states right now, and it’s not even recognized in Pennsylvania, South Carolina or Florida,” says Michael Kelly, Herring’s press secretary...

Well golly gee, and thanks to what Herring just did, it still beats the Virginia permit now doesn't it !

How do politicians find press secretaries this stupid? Is it a special class at the Dangerous Dan Rather School of Yellow Journalism????

va_tazdad

Screw Herring and McAfful. I signed up to take the Utah class at the Smoking Gun (SOS ) with Jeff.

Seems the gubermant idiots don't truly care about the "loss of revenue" as the are pushing gun owners out of state to recover what they attempted to take away.

Again, where do they find these idiots?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Screw Herring and McAfful. I signed up to take the Utah class at the Smoking Gun (SOS ) with Jeff.

Seems the gubermant idiots don't truly care about the "loss of revenue" as the are pushing gun owners out of state to recover what they attempted to take away.

Again, where do they find these idiots?
Under Bloomberg's thumb and in his pockets. :p

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Treachery from the VSP and others - they colluded to kill reciprocity last year.

See Va-Alert dated 1/15/2016:
http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/va-alert/=now
Direct link: http://tinyurl.com/gpcr5jt

From the link, another example of anti-gunners being lying scum: "The false claim was that honoring the permits from all states would mean fewer people would get a Virginia non-resident CHP and that would cost the state $339,500 a year. There’s one problem - the money from those permits was meant to reimburse the VSP for the cost of processing the permits. The state should not see any kind of profit from permits, but should only break even." (my bold)

IOW, the state doesn't "lose" money because less non-resident permits are issued - the issuance of non-resident permits is not a profit-making enterprise, it is (or is supposed to be) just a break-even endeavor.

Sickening.

Last edited:

TFred

I can't say that I expect any results from this, other than just more good exposure (sunlight kills mold and all that stuff), but kudos to Scott Lingamfelter for pushing the issue.

As always, here's the key talking point from the article:

A Republican state legislator is urging Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe to delay the revocation of reciprocal agreements Virginia has with 25 states on whether to honor their concealed handgun carry permits.

Del. L. Scott Lingamfelter of Woodbridge made the request in a letter this week to McAuliffe.

“Given the fact that the State Police has told me that they have no records of any out-of-state individual with a concealed carry permit committing crimes in Virginia, I think a few months’ delay hardly represents a threat to our citizens,” Lingamfelter said.​

TFred

Lingamfelter asks Governor to delay revoking gun permits

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

TFred

A reversal, with "concessions" described as forthcoming:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8c0240-c5d8-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html

(And mods, please tell me how to format links appropriately to tie to the headline.)
"The policy changes will come in the form of bipartisan legislation before the General Assembly."

The only one I am aware of is Bryce Reeves' bill, which was just combined with several others. You can read the amended provisions yourself here:

SB 610 Concealed handguns; recognition of out-of-state permits. (Hilited format)

(There is another, which sets up a committee to study the issue, which was sent to the Finance Committee.)

TFred