• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun spent casing

exelci

Hello all,

I recently made a new gun purchase and noticed I didn't get a spent casing in that little envelope thing.. Should I contact the manufacturer? Or the store where I bought it? I don't actually want the casing i just think its very odd that I didn't get one.. I've allways gotten one before.

Thank you for your time.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In what state do you live?

Believe it or not, the "location" part of your profile is useful for answering questions, not just for humor.

solus

he asked the same question in another thread where he stated he purchased the firearm from AZ...

ipse

Freedom1Man

Hello all,

I recently made a new gun purchase and noticed I didn't get a spent casing in that little envelope thing.. Should I contact the manufacturer? Or the store where I bought it? I don't actually want the casing i just think its very odd that I didn't get one.. I've allways gotten one before.

Thank you for your time.
I have never got a spend casing with a new gun.

Oh well.

Now I need a 3d printer and then I can have a few new 1911 pistols.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

CrossFire

I bought a handgun with a spent round once. I was told by the FFL that it was originally intended to go to a state where the State Police require the gun to be shot before sale so the guns ballistics can be recorded for future identification. This is not a requirement in Texas.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There are few states that require the spent casing to be shipped from the distributor with the firearm. A freer state like AZ, of course, is not one of them. In these freer states, if a firearm is shipped with one, the dealer just leaves it with it, as he has no need to do anything with it. If the gun is shipped to one of the more Nanny states, the dealer is required to remove the sealed bag with the spent case, and give it to the state authorities for needless time-, space-, and money-wasting filing.

Not all new guns ship with them. Those that don't are not allowed to be shipped to those Nanny states. The free states might get them and might not.

exelci

There are few states that require the spent casing to be shipped from the distributor with the firearm. A freer state like AZ, of course, is not one of them. In these freer states, if a firearm is shipped with one, the dealer just leaves it with it, as he has no need to do anything with it. If the gun is shipped to one of the more Nanny states, the dealer is required to remove the sealed bag with the spent case, and give it to the state authorities for needless time-, space-, and money-wasting filing.

Not all new guns ship with them. Those that don't are not allowed to be shipped to those Nanny states. The free states might get them and might not.

Excellent explanation. Thank you. I read about that Maryland spent casing" law that was just voided,interesting.. This all led me to learn something new that I wasn't aware of. I called the dealer and they gave me the same explanation that you sir have. All is well.. I take my firearms and everything related to them very seriously.

Thank you.

Last edited:

exelci

I bought a handgun with a spent round once. I was told by the FFL that it was originally intended to go to a state where the State Police require the gun to be shot before sale so the guns ballistics can be recorded for future identification. This is not a requirement in Texas.

+1

Rusty Young Man

The next question when the guns become collector items well the box and the original casing add to the value.

Well, I suppose you get to say "ALL goodies included" when you look to sell it. :p

I reloaded all the ones that came with any of mine.

One could also keep them as a means of keeping count of how many guns you've owned?. :)