• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry

Imperius

I've read up a bit on the state laws but need some clarification. I recently turned 21, am a CA resident (with no intention of applying for MT residency due to scholarship restrictions) but attend UMT. To my understanding through discussion with local police, it is entirely legal for me to open carry now that I am 21 but I may never conceal or even apply for a conceal carry permit within Montana. If I were to apply for a permit in CA and get it issued, would Montana acknowledge it?

Also, if anyone has experience as to what the reaction is in Missoula in particular to individuals who open carry, please let me know. It would be good to know if I should expect to be confronted by police at first.

Last edited: