Thread: Question about OC in Virginia by an out of stater

Question about OC in Virginia by an out of stater

I just read an article, linked below, that had a comment that OC is not allowed in some towns due to local restrictions. Is this true?

From the comments section:
    Brian Estep As far as I know it does, as long as the person is at least 18 years of age and may legally possess a firearm, except, open carry is prohibited by statute in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, and Virginia Beach and in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, and Prince William.
    Here is the link to the article where I got the comment above.

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/va...4d08b7692.html

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I just read an article, linked below, that had a comment that OC is not allowed in some towns due to local restrictions. Is this true?

The press is **always** accurate, don't you know that by now?

Alternately, you can see what this source has to say: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=310

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post

The artical incorrectly states it's illegal to carry a gun in Virginia without a concealed Handgun Permit. Which is untrue, it's illegal to carry concealed without a permit.
    Also in Virginia local jurisdictions don't have the authority to control the carry of handguns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 12-24-2015 at 01:28 AM.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Well let's see. Over a period of 7 1/2 years, I carried openly in a number of the locations listed in the OP's quote box. Falls Church, Richmond, Arlington County, Fairfax City and County, Loudoun County, and I live in Prince William County. Not once was I hassled, approached, questioned, or closely watched during that entire period. So I am calling BS on this one.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Well let's see. Over a period of 7 1/2 years, I carried openly in a number of the locations listed in the OP's quote box. Falls Church, Richmond, Arlington County, Fairfax City and County, Loudoun County, and I live in Prince William County. Not once was I hassled, approached, questioned, or closely watched during that entire period. So I am calling BS on this one.
    I think you can do better than call BS based on your experience - you could cite, as I did, VA's preemption and "Gold Star" OC status.

Unhindered experience doesn't mean one's actions were lawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    The artical incorrectly states it's illegal to carry a gun in Virginia without a concealed Handgun Permit. Which is untrue, it's illegal to carry concealed without a permit.
    Also in Virginia local jurisdictions don't have the authority to control the carry of handguns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    They corrected the article to indicate that it is concealed carry that is illegal without a permit.

TFred

From the same newspaper article. This is what you get when you ask a police officer for legal advice. SMH.

I guess this officer is not familiar with 15.2-915. To be fair, MAYBE he is referring to the Class 1 cities listed above, BUT that is NOT local ordinances, that is STATE CODE as well.

TFred

According to Virginia State Police Trooper Allen Kelly that law [concealed carry] does not apply to open carry in the state, but that can change from town to town.

"Anyone can open carry in the state," he said. "But," he cautioned, "The same laws apply to open carry as conceal carry. Also the law is subject to jurisdiction. So before anyone decides to open carry in Virginia they need to check the law in their city or town."

How old is that news story? Sounds like they were citing law from a couple decades ago, or local laws that might be still on the books but invalid due to state preemption.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I think you can do better than call BS based on your experience - you could cite, as I did, VA's preemption and "Gold Star" OC status.

Unhindered experience doesn't mean one's actions were lawful.
    I've read the cites and I live here. My BS statement was directed to the information given the individual. The fact is, you can carry openly in those locales.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    How old is that news story? Sounds like they were citing law from a couple decades ago, or local laws that might be still on the books but invalid due to state preemption.
    The news story is from this week in response to the VA AGs decision to stop CC reciprocity with 25 states.

The statement I was questioning was made in the comments to the article and not in the article at all.

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4