• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC in Virginia by an out of stater

rscottie

I just read an article, linked below, that had a comment that OC is not allowed in some towns due to local restrictions. Is this true?

From the comments section:
Brian Estep As far as I know it does, as long as the person is at least 18 years of age and may legally possess a firearm, except, open carry is prohibited by statute in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, and Virginia Beach and in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, and Prince William.

Here is the link to the article where I got the comment above.

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/va-tightens-concealed-gun-permit-rules-drawing-ire-of-lawmakers/article_3b894758-b899-5f6e-9606-5d44d08b7692.html

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I just read an article, linked below, that had a comment that OC is not allowed in some towns due to local restrictions. Is this true?

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/v...cle_3b894758-b899-5f6e-9606-5d44d08b7692.html
The press is **always** accurate, don't you know that by now? :rolleyes:

Alternately, you can see what this source has to say: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=310

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/va-tightens-concealed-gun-permit-rules-drawing-ire-of-lawmakers/article_3b894758-b899-5f6e-9606-5d44d08b7692.html
The artical incorrectly states it's illegal to carry a gun in Virginia without a concealed Handgun Permit. Which is untrue, it's illegal to carry concealed without a permit.
Also in Virginia local jurisdictions don't have the authority to control the carry of handguns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Well let's see. Over a period of 7 1/2 years, I carried openly in a number of the locations listed in the OP's quote box. Falls Church, Richmond, Arlington County, Fairfax City and County, Loudoun County, and I live in Prince William County. Not once was I hassled, approached, questioned, or closely watched during that entire period. So I am calling BS on this one.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well let's see. Over a period of 7 1/2 years, I carried openly in a number of the locations listed in the OP's quote box. Falls Church, Richmond, Arlington County, Fairfax City and County, Loudoun County, and I live in Prince William County. Not once was I hassled, approached, questioned, or closely watched during that entire period. So I am calling BS on this one.
I think you can do better than call BS based on your experience - you could cite, as I did, VA's preemption and "Gold Star" OC status.

Unhindered experience doesn't mean one's actions were lawful.

TFred

The artical incorrectly states it's illegal to carry a gun in Virginia without a concealed Handgun Permit. Which is untrue, it's illegal to carry concealed without a permit.
Also in Virginia local jurisdictions don't have the authority to control the carry of handguns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
They corrected the article to indicate that it is concealed carry that is illegal without a permit.

TFred

TFred

From the same newspaper article. This is what you get when you ask a police officer for legal advice. SMH.

I guess this officer is not familiar with 15.2-915. To be fair, MAYBE he is referring to the Class 1 cities listed above, BUT that is NOT local ordinances, that is STATE CODE as well.

TFred

According to Virginia State Police Trooper Allen Kelly that law [concealed carry] does not apply to open carry in the state, but that can change from town to town.

"Anyone can open carry in the state," he said. "But," he cautioned, "The same laws apply to open carry as conceal carry. Also the law is subject to jurisdiction. So before anyone decides to open carry in Virginia they need to check the law in their city or town."​

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I think you can do better than call BS based on your experience - you could cite, as I did, VA's preemption and "Gold Star" OC status.

Unhindered experience doesn't mean one's actions were lawful.

I've read the cites and I live here. My BS statement was directed to the information given the individual. The fact is, you can carry openly in those locales.

rscottie

How old is that news story? Sounds like they were citing law from a couple decades ago, or local laws that might be still on the books but invalid due to state preemption.
The news story is from this week in response to the VA AGs decision to stop CC reciprocity with 25 states.

The statement I was questioning was made in the comments to the article and not in the article at all.

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4