Thread: Virginia Vehicle Carry

Virginia Vehicle Carry

I live in Bristol, TN which we share the same main street as Bristol, VA. I do most of my shopping in Bristol, VA because of the lower retail tax rate. As of Feb.1st, 2016, I will start open carry when I'm in VA. In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?

Quote Originally Posted by nshaw65 View Post
    In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?
    Not as I understand it. The handgun must be secured in a container - like center console or glove box.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308/
    10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;
    It does not have to be locked, but I believe it must be closed.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
    As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.
    http://www.oag.state.va.us/files/Opi...111_Newman.pdf
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Not as I understand it. The handgun must be secured in a container - like center console or glove box.
    No! Read the question:

"In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?"

The answer is YES. If the gun in "in plain sight," it is NOT concealed, which makes it LEGAL in Virginia.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by nshaw65 View Post
    I live in Bristol, TN which we share the same main street as Bristol, VA. I do most of my shopping in Bristol, VA because of the lower retail tax rate. As of Feb.1st, 2016, I will start open carry when I'm in VA. In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?
    IANAL As long as the handgun is visible it is openly carried. In the Holster helps keep the handgun from becoming a projectile, as it might laying on the seat, or dashboard should you have to break suddenly.
    The option to conceal the handgun in the center console or glove compartment is a separate issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    No! Read the question:

"In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?"

The answer is YES. If the gun in "in plain sight," it is NOT concealed, which makes it LEGAL in Virginia.
    +1

Thank you for the correction.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.