• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Vehicle Carry

nshaw65

I live in Bristol, TN which we share the same main street as Bristol, VA. I do most of my shopping in Bristol, VA because of the lower retail tax rate. As of Feb.1st, 2016, I will start open carry when I'm in VA. In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?

JustaShooter

In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?

Not as I understand it. The handgun must be secured in a container - like center console or glove box.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308/
10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel;

It does not have to be locked, but I believe it must be closed.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.
http://www.oag.state.va.us/files/Opinions/2012/11-111_Newman.pdf

TFred

Not as I understand it. The handgun must be secured in a container - like center console or glove box.
No! Read the question:

"In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?"

The answer is YES. If the gun in "in plain sight," it is NOT concealed, which makes it LEGAL in Virginia.

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I live in Bristol, TN which we share the same main street as Bristol, VA. I do most of my shopping in Bristol, VA because of the lower retail tax rate. As of Feb.1st, 2016, I will start open carry when I'm in VA. In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?
IANAL As long as the handgun is visible it is openly carried. In the Holster helps keep the handgun from becoming a projectile, as it might laying on the seat, or dashboard should you have to break suddenly.
The option to conceal the handgun in the center console or glove compartment is a separate issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
No! Read the question:

"In TN I vehicle carry with a sticky holster between the seat and console which is in plain sight from the drivers window. Is this legal in VA?"

The answer is YES. If the gun in "in plain sight," it is NOT concealed, which makes it LEGAL in Virginia.

+1