Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will you carry on Day One of OC in Texas?

What will you carry on Day One of OC in Texas?

I live in Washington State and we have always been able to OC as we see fit. You, in Texas, on the other hand, actually have a First Day of OC. Will you wear something discreet to "feel out" the populace, or will you be wearing that barbecue rig with a buscadero holster and a pair of Ruger Blackhawk .44s?

It is exciting, to me, to see this happening in Texas. I have several friends there who carry at all times and now they get to be honest about it. Good on you Texas.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Well, I know I already answered earlier in the trifold thread but figured I'd go into more detail since you started a thread specifically on the subject.

In short, I will likely carry my Sig P220 initially. I'm a big Sig and Beretta fan. I have a Beretta 92FS but, as sweet as that pistol is, I honestly think that's too darn heavy for every day carry. I did have a Sig P250. I bought it around 3 years ago (I think) but ended up selling it in 2013 when OC didn't pass back then. I had bought it specifically for OC and kind of took it out on the pistol by selling it in disgust (not disgust at the gun but disgust in the legislature). Kind of wish I had kept it as it was a great DA only weapon--though it was a little "fat".
    So, the only issue with the P220 is that mine is old--like 1987 old. Though it's never failed me, I'm kind of tempted to get a newer one (with accessory rail, even though I don't use them).
    But then I'm thinking rather than spending $$$ on yet another P220, why not look into something else. I like 1911's (classic style, great looks) but don't like the far reach slide releases. I'm not a Glock fan personally (triggers feel spongy and they're not aesthetically pleasing to me). Other options may be Springfield XD series, S&W M&P series, or similar.
    Honestly, the reason I'm blabbing all this out is because I can't decide.
    I've had a bunch of .380's but sold them all, mainly because at one point ammo was scarcer than rocking horse poop. Whatever I'm going to get is going to have to be a .45 or 9mm. I also like narrow frame designs. Any suggestions are welcome.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I don't have a "show" gun specifically for OC, but I do have some custom leather to dress it up in! I have carried in this holster concealed, but it is truly a shame to cover up works of art.
    Advocate freedom please

Let's see that is next Friday, a holiday, so I think it w/b my everyday Walther PPQ. Just a black gun, plain custom black holster, black gun belt w black Levis, black felt hat. Probably will save my Gus hat for a day on down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Oh man I didn't even think to plan for it. I'm getting in from out of town on NYE and only have my glock 19 and Blackhawk serpa holster. I don't have anything in brushed nickel or chrome with leather to wear.

S&W 629 Stealth Hunter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

H&K P2000SK (357 Sig) in a black C. Rusty Sherrick vertical high ride holster. I'll probably swap to the P30 or HK45 from time to time, but the C.Rusty holster is my favorite. I haven't yet had nice leather made for the bigger guns.

I'm beginning to think it may be better for me to get something not too fancy/expensive. If/when I'm OC I have a nasty habit of banging into door frames, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by qednick View Post
    I'm beginning to think it may be better for me to get something not too fancy/expensive. If/when I'm OC I have a nasty habit of banging into door frames, etc.
    Practice.

It took me a minute of deep thought when I discovered white enamel paint chips on my Rugers grips, at the magazine. Then I saw the matching ruts in my woodwork. Sometimes you feel like a nut.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    It took me a minute of deep thought when I discovered white enamel paint chips on my Rugers grips, at the magazine. Then I saw the matching ruts in my woodwork. Sometimes you feel like a nut.
    I have a number of shirts with holes in the fabric coinciding with sights and grips when CC.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I live in Washington State and we have always been able to OC as we see fit. You, in Texas, on the other hand, actually have a First Day of OC. Will you wear something discreet to "feel out" the populace, or will you be wearing that barbecue rig with a buscadero holster and a pair of Ruger Blackhawk .44s?

It is exciting, to me, to see this happening in Texas. I have several friends there who carry at all times and now they get to be honest about it. Good on you Texas.
    Everybody has had, or will have a first day they OC. For me my first day was a 31 cal 5 shot cap and ball as a teenager in a leather holster. At the time it was the only handgun I owned. Being under 18 I was only allowed to OC on the farm though.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Well I just got my SERPA cqc in and I have to say that it is the most comfortable holster I've ever worn. I've always used iwb holsters and after an hour or so of wearing it it would be uncomfortable and start hurting when at the 3 o'clock position (but was fine in 5 o'clock but I don't like it there). This one though I could see wearing all day and be great.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I have Serpas for my Glocks and 1911 they work very well.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Well, although not in Texas, I will OC a double stack 45acp in honor of my friends in Texas who now have more options in the way they carry.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    You need to carry a cheap old Saturday Night Special because some cop that didn't get the message will throw you to the ground and confiscate your gun, never to be seen again.......

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    You need to carry a cheap old Saturday Night Special because some cop that didn't get the message will throw you to the ground and confiscate your gun, never to be seen again.......
    Well in that case:

No cop wants one of these for their home collection.

Don't laugh, they shoot good & carry more rounds than a 1911.

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/produc...point-handguns

Plenty good for a OC only pistol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well in that case:

No cop wants one of these for their home collection.

Don't laugh, they shoot good & carry more rounds than a 1911.

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/produc...point-handguns

Plenty good for a OC only pistol.

But but the product description says they're popular with law enforcement!

I suppose I could carry this, but most likely it will be my Smith&Wesson Shield, in .40, more casually than before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	12899  

I went to look at the shield in my fave gun store but they sold out. So now I'm waiting

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Practice.
    Or diet

"The camera adds 10 lbs."
    "The camera ... And food."
    (Quotes the guy who dropped his gym membership today since I haven't been in over a month, and just in time for a New Years resolution)

It'll be the P2000SK in the Sherrick, so it will conceal before midnight and not so much after.
    Have no idea what I'm doing at midnight, may be walking the dog and freezing, just to make my point.

Actually I've lost 40lbs...positively skinny now...so that should help

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by qednick
    Originally Posted by marshaul
    Practice
    Or diet
    Quit swinging your hips.........or take a bladed posture.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Quit swinging your hips.........or take a bladed posture.
    Neighbors might think your dancing with ghosts if you walk around like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast