• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H-E-B Bans Open Carry

HPmatt

Well it has been interesting to watch HEB evolve. Being baptist they used not to sell beer/wine - want to say it was in the mid-70s they did - to keep from losing market share to Albertsons, etc.

So I think if other stores do not 30.07 that could influence them.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just what we need, to get labeled as wacko gun nuts protesting against the rights of a property owner to make business decisions - you know how the press would spin that, right?

ETA: that is how Open Carry Texas was painted for their LGOC events. If anyone should be the subject of protest it should be Whole Foods which locks out all carriers. A protest would probably only fortify their position, being based in Austin.

All you would be doing is to provide the public with knowledge ... let their choice not to shop there lead to change.

You have rights too ya know. Posting info on this forum is nice and all but it has a limited reach.

Firearms Iinstuctor

We have these signs go up in a lot of states where the freedom of carrying firearms has increase.

Normally in a couple of years the signs come down and life goes on.

No guns no money work on a lot of businesses.

rightwinglibertarian

Could you compare and contrast " enforced methods" with your real world accomplishments please? I tend to be pragmatic so I prefer to see arguments from reason and experience rather than appeals to emotion. You might try coming down here to live for awhile. Get to know the culture a little before you decide how you are going to "fix" it.

he fixed washington state's malaise, ask him, so i guess those are his real world accomplishments.

ipse

Nothing I can do on my own. Has to be en masse or it will simply result in my arrest or death

qednick

So curiosity got the better of me and I swung by the H.E.B. Plus in Boerne just to see. They indeed had the signs but they were not very visible at all. They were at either side of the doors at floor level. However, because the automatic doors were open (as they usually are), they were covered up. I only saw the signs because I was purposely looking for them.

77zach

So curiosity got the better of me and I swung by the H.E.B. Plus in Boerne just to see. They indeed had the signs but they were not very visible at all. They were at either side of the doors at floor level. However, because the automatic doors were open (as they usually are), they were covered up. I only saw the signs because I was purposely looking for them.

This is what drives me up a wall about wretched signage laws. Doesn't TX law say something about prominently displayed? This does not meet that definition to a reasonable person.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I intend to immediately target them as soon as I get down there. Texas of all places should be able to force businesses to stop such foolishness by sheer weight of protest. In other areas businesses are unlikely to find a boycott hurts their pocket in any real way. Hopefully Texas is different.

<cough, cough>

Oh, my. A libertarian talking about force? Coercion? :)

It is their right to ban OCers.

It is our right not to patronize their business. It is our right to spread the word so others do not patronize their business.

If they stick to their guns, and their business plummets, that is their right.

If they go out of business because so many OCers (and CCers who agree) avoid patronizing their business, that is their right.

To say otherwise is to also say they are obligated to provide product and service on our terms. And, that is a recipe for untold mischief: fair is fair--if the other guy can be obligated to provide product or service, then you, gentle reader, and I can also be obligated to provide product or service, even when we did not agree to provide it.

Last edited:

HPmatt

HEB is 100 years old, privately owned and does about $10b a year. They know their business.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

<cough, cough>

Oh, my. A libertarian talking about force? Coercion? :)

It is their right to ban OCers.

It is our right not to patronize their business. It is our right to spread the word so others do not patronize their business.

If they stick to their guns, and their business plummets, that is their right.

If they go out of business because so many OCers (and CCers who agree) avoid patronizing their business, that is their right.

To say otherwise is to also say they are obligated to provide product and service on our terms. And, that is a recipe for untold mischief: fair is fair--if the other guy can be obligated to provide product or service, then you, gentle reader, and I can also be obligated to provide product or service, even when we did not agree to provide it.

A very important clarification, indeed. I believe rightwinglibertarian honestly meant "cause" by his statement, not literally using force, but other readers may mistake the intended meaning.

ETA: that is how Open Carry Texas was painted for their LGOC events.

OCT has been painted by the old lobbyists as supporting private property rights too much. The CC privilege peddlers don't want private property rights to interfere with their privileges, you see.

solus

A very important clarification, indeed. I believe rightwinglibertarian honestly meant "cause" by his statement, not literally using force, but other readers may mistake the intended meaning.

OCT has been painted by the old lobbyists as supporting private property rights too much. The CC privilege peddlers don't want private property rights to interfere with their privileges, you see.

I surely wouldn't presume to put any type of alternative meaning to anybody's choice of words...especially based on the member's bravado tone and tenor of previous postings on this forum.

we are, for the most part, adults who are quite capable to speak using words as they are intended to be used. therefore, you could find yourself sorely mistaken and end up disappointed.

just thinking out loud here, ya know?

ipse

qednick

This is what drives me up a wall about wretched signage laws. Doesn't TX law say something about prominently displayed? This does not meet that definition to a reasonable person.

Yup. It's supposed to be conspicuously posted and, to me, being hidden behind automatic sliding doors containing other stickers, etc. is not exactly conspicuous. H.E.B.'s get so busy that people are in and out of those doors all the time...so the doors tend to be "open" almost all the time. Honestly, at first, when I approached the doors, I thought they hadn't posted the signs (yet). It wasn't until I took a hard look in the gap between the doors and the side glass that I saw them. Spanish one on the left, English one on the right.

jordanmills

Well it would mean they carry no force. I'm kind of torn. On the other hand, it would allow store managers who have a working brain to comply with brain-dead upper management while keeping their stores safe and open.

qednick

I wouldn't protest or write a letter of disapproval, I'd send them my receipts from Kroger.

Or WalMart. As far as I know, WalMarts follow state laws so we should be good to go in there from Jan 1st.

Also forgot to mention, the H.E.B. I checked wasn't posted on the
doorway which I guess they consider an "exit"--even though it's commonly used as an entrance also.​

Law abider

I think you underestimate just how anti-freedom typical Texans are. It's actually quite sad, despite their stellar exceptions.

In WI I can enter a liquor store if not posted, OCing and buy alcchol, no problems. I do that all the time. Somehow a blue state has folks who are not frightened at the sight of a handgun. However I am surprised at the anti-freedom of Texans. That is not how it is portrayed by Hollywood.

HPmatt

...On the other hand, it would allow store managers who have a working brain to comply with brain-dead upper management while keeping their stores safe and open.

I would go this route - HEB is a family business and the store managers do have input to Sr Management, along w RichBird's idea of Kroger receipts.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Or WalMart. As far as I know, WalMarts follow state laws so we should be good to go in there from Jan 1st.

Also forgot to mention, the H.E.B. I checked wasn't posted on the
doorway which I guess they consider an "exit"--even though it's commonly used as an entrance also.​

I've openly carried in Walmarts in other states, so I expect they won't be posting here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk​