• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Canadian meets a Unicorn

F350

Just before Christmas the wife and I had family business in Phoenix Arizona and on the way home she wanted to do some Christmas shopping in Sedona. While walking through a fancy "artsy-fartsy" shopping area just south of the main drag I saw a man dressed in somewhat western attire (hat, western shirt, vest, jeans & boots) do a a 90 degree twist and look at my open sidearm. As I usually do when I see such a reaction I nodded and said "How ya doin".

He stopped and said "Is that legal here? We're from Alberta Canada and that surprises me". I just laughed a little and said "Welcome to Arizona! No permit needed for either concealed or open carry". He said "I love this state"!

We talked for about 10 minutes, he said "We have lots of guns in Canada,rifles and shotguns but few pistols and you can't carry, to see someone just carrying a pistol in the open was a shock, but I like it"!

We shook hands as we parted and he said "It was a real pleasure, glad I ran into you".

Other than the Canadian no one seemed to even notice, even the kid that bumped his head on the grip in the toy-store didn't say anything about the gun.

Last edited:

F350

Nicely handled!
Just out of curiosity, were you in the downtown area of Sedona, or at that little area on the east end of town that is/was called "Tlacapaque"? (spelling??)
It may not be there any more but I have some fond memories of the place from years ago.
:)

That was the name, but wasn't at location indicated on the Chamber map, south of the main drag west side of 179, looked to be fairly new, some neat shops. There is also a new place under construction on the east side with the same name.