Thread: VCU designs another fish barrel

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

VCU designs another fish barrel

Note to any BGs who need a safe place to practice their trade.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - "VCU is going to ramp up security at the Siegel Center, starting with Sunday's game with Liberty University at 5 p.m.

Saturday, the VCU Athletic Department announced plans to heighten security for home basketball games. The athletics department says the new safety measures might slow fans down from entering the arena." = no weapons.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30835053/vcu-increasing-security-for-home-basketball-games

Not really sure what is news worthy here though as VCU has had a long standing rule against guns inside university buildings, if I am not mistaken.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I get your point, but as long as they cover ALL entry points, and ALL people coming into the space, this is not a classic "gun free" zone. It has long been my thought (and many others, I suspect) that any place the government wanted to be truly gun free was fine, as long as a) they provided adequate security against crazy people with non-firearms weapons, and b) they ensured that EVERYBODY in the space was equally dis-armed.

Courthouses and secure airport terminals being the general examples, it is this sort of full screening that has usually been too expensive to implement that keeps the "gun free" zone from being an actual gun free zone, and therefore gets people killed.

TFred

ETA: Now... the blocks AROUND the stadium, as spectators walk to and from the event... THAT'S a whole other story, and you are exactly right. Free unarmed victim zone for muggings and hold-ups!!
    Last edited by TFred; 12-27-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Is there some issue that I'm unaware of that has caused this "heightened security?"
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Is there some issue that I'm unaware of that has caused this "heightened security?"
    Liberty University is coming to the Siegel Center, some of their students might be carrying, they will be gunning for VCU - you know what they say about that mix
    I don't expect it, but I'd like to see LU stomp VCU on the hardwoods.

On a more serious note - no known credible evidence of any specific threat. I personally think it is mostly security theater (not all will agree), and would expect a determined individual(s) could breach the perimeter and find no one to oppose them.

Then there is the Ivory Tower mentality complete with magic incantations - we say no weapons and wave our wand = poof, you are safe.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

1. No one can guarantee that a no weapons checkpoint is going to stop all weapons. Even maximum security prisons have weapons found among the populace on a regular basis. The TSA was recently audited and found to regularly allow firearms and other weapons through their sterility checkpoints.

2. Such no weapons equality means nothing when one man is accosted by a gang intent on doing him harm.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    1. No one can guarantee that a no weapons checkpoint is going to stop all weapons. Even maximum security prisons have weapons found among the populace on a regular basis. The TSA was recently audited and found to regularly allow firearms and other weapons through their sterility checkpoints.

2. Such no weapons equality means nothing when one man is accosted by a gang intent on doing him harm.
    A janitor or temp employee could likely stash a number of weapons, just waiting for the "unarmed" combatants to enter - jus' saying.....or will they be doing the security dance on every employee, vendor, and contractor too?

I am not opposed to good security, I just don't buy into it as it is being sold. I still want to provide an element of my own.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-28-2015 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added

Inside help is a great way to get weapons in a area and almost impossible to stop.

Ones worse enemies are those you think are your friends.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Let us not forget the extended exposure/vulnerability of thousands of people to and from these events.........or will VCU provide each of them protection until they have the means to do so for themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Note to any BGs who need a safe place to practice their trade.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - "VCU is going to ramp up security at the Siegel Center, starting with Sunday's game with Liberty University at 5 p.m.

[/URL]Not really sure what is news worthy here though as VCU has had a long standing rule against guns inside university buildings, if I am not mistaken.
    What is noteworthy here is that state agency preemption would fix the problem.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Liberty University is coming to the Siegel Center, some of their students might be carrying...
    Of course! How could we have missed this connection?

So speculation: will they institute this policy of enhanced security for ANY other games this season? If not, isn't this some sort of discrimination?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Of course! How could we have missed this connection?

So speculation: will they institute this policy of enhanced security for ANY other games this season? If not, isn't this some sort of discrimination?

TFred
    VCU announced plans to heighten security for home basketball games....that would be all home games.

Sure it is discrimination, just not illegal discrimination,as basketball fans are not a protected class.

If and when televised, those watching from home will not be subject to the same rules/restrictions.

Let us not forget the extended exposure/vulnerability of thousands of people to and from these events.........or will VCU provide each of them protection until they have the means to do so for themselves?
    I guess you could attend w bullet-proof vests and ceramic knives...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    I guess you could attend w bullet-proof vests and ceramic knives...
    Bullet resistant vests w/o trauma plates offer little to no protection against a real blade and they don't protect some of the most lethal points.

I was thinking about the unarmed trip from home and back w/o means of self-defense.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I get your point, but as long as they cover ALL entry points, and ALL people coming into the space, this is not a classic "gun free" zone. It has long been my thought (and many others, I suspect) that any place the government wanted to be truly gun free was fine, as long as a) they provided adequate security against crazy people with non-firearms weapons, and b) they ensured that EVERYBODY in the space was equally dis-armed.

Courthouses and secure airport terminals being the general examples, it is this sort of full screening that has usually been too expensive to implement that keeps the "gun free" zone from being an actual gun free zone, and therefore gets people killed.

TFred

ETA: Now... the blocks AROUND the stadium, as spectators walk to and from the event... THAT'S a whole other story, and you are exactly right. Free unarmed victim zone for muggings and hold-ups!!
    I won't go so far as "any place the government wanted to be truly gun free" being fine. I will concede there are some, rare, areas where there are legitimate security concerns that require disarming the public. Prisons, jails, secure mental hospitals, and possibly court rooms strike me as areas where there are sufficient, legitimate need to disarm the public as to justify disarming the public.

While talking about carrying guns into the cabins of commercial airliners will cause many a stroke, the fact is that prior to the mid-70s it was legal and fairly common to do so. Even after a few, rare, high profile hijackings created sufficient public alarm (History does repeat doesn't it?) as to get us to accept being disarmed on planes, pilots routinely carried for a long time. Concerns about a single shot disabling a plane are based almost entirely on Hollywood misinformation.

That all said, the rare location where disarming the public is truly warranted, also warrants true security rather than relying on the honor system. But even there we have the concerns about efficacy.

I would like to hope that the relatively small number of visitors to jails and courtrooms means that screening is far more effective than TSAs abysmal failure rate of something like 90% when tested. If only 10% of weapons smuggled in are detected and excluded, then we likely are back to not much more than an honor system with the law abiding not willing to risk a 10% chance of criminal charges, but a dedicated group of bad guys more than willing for 1 of their group to be caught before hand if 9 others can make it through to wreak havoc.

I suspect large venues like sports arenas with lots of people needing to be cleared in a relatively small amount of time are likely to produce TSA like results rather than doing materially better.

All of this, of course, ignores the risk to patrons between the point they are able to store their otherwise legally carried weapons and where they enter/leave the secure area. A parked car 2 to 10 blocks away is a long distance. Leaving the gun at home because one took mass transit is an even longer distance and time to be disarmed.

Which means that truly secure areas need to provide secure storage immediately before the secure checkpoint so as to minimize the distance and time that LACs are disarmed. All legislatively permitted government secure areas in Utah require secure storage at the venue. (Our courthouses continue to enforce gun bans without storage under their powers of contempt of court.)

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Bullet resistant vests w/o trauma plates offer little to no protection against a real blade and they don't protect some of the most lethal points.

I was thinking about the unarmed trip from home and back w/o means of self-defense.
    This has always been the problem of even the best GFZ, one has to get from point A, to point B.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    What is noteworthy here is that state agency preemption would fix the problem.
    HERE, HERE!!!!!

State agency preemption would solve a multitude of problems for Virginians and more specifically, Virginian outdoorspeople!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.