• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Brandishing' -- a double standard?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Very interesting.

Is there any wiggle room in the law for a cop who knows he is walking up to the traffic-stopped vehicle of a CHP holder? I'm thinking in terms of a cop who already ran the plate, either before hitting the lights to initiate the traffic stop, or runs the plates right after stopping the car, but before he walks up to the car the first time.

I think I would be really annoyed if by holding a CHP I waived my right against this form of assault.

It's for officer safety. The most important thing is that cops go home at the end of their shift with no more holes than when they started their shift.

The cop knows that the person the vehicle is registered to has a CHP but has no actual knowledge that the person in the vehicle actually has a gun in their possession. So walking up with their hand on their gun is an implied accusation that a) the person has a gun in their possession and b) that their intent would be to try to cause injury/death to the officer.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the persons who initiated shootouts with police when involved in a traffic stop had a CHP. But knowing how many non-CHP-ers initiated shootouts vs. how many CHP-ers did so might tend to put a major crimp in the "it's for officer safety" mantra.

stay safe.

()pen(arry

The cop knows that the person the vehicle is registered to has a CHP but has no actual knowledge that the person in the vehicle actually has a gun in their possession. So walking up with their hand on their gun is an implied accusation that a) the person has a gun in their possession and b) that their intent would be to try to cause injury/death to the officer.

In Virginia, if a person could be expected to be able to see the officer walking up with her hand on her gun, would this count as assault with a deadly weapon? I think a reasonable person would certainly view such an action as threatening.