Thread: SD "Enhanced" Permit question....

SD "Enhanced" Permit question....

A friend of mine is still Active Duty military, Home of Record is SD. He's up there right now for the holidays and just bought his first carry handgun, and also got his SD non-'Enhanced' carry permit. When he gets back here to Arizona next week, he leaves immediately for Permanent Change of Station to Louisiana. (He'll get a LA permit after he gets settled in.)

My question is: What would the 'Enhanced' SD permit gain him, other than reciprocity with Minnisota (per the handgunlaw.us website)? I'm not seeing any other benefits. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance, and have a Great New Year's Eve!

Anyone? You folks all busy shoveling snow? ;>)

Banned
    I'm enhanced .....

What's with all these goofy categories or permits?

Quote Originally Posted by PavePusher View Post
    A friend of mine is still Active Duty military, Home of Record is SD. He's up there right now for the holidays and just bought his first carry handgun, and also got his SD non-'Enhanced' carry permit. When he gets back here to Arizona next week, he leaves immediately for Permanent Change of Station to Louisiana. (He'll get a LA permit after he gets settled in.)

My question is: What would the 'Enhanced' SD permit gain him, other than reciprocity with Minnisota (per the handgunlaw.us website)? I'm not seeing any other benefits. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance, and have a Great New Year's Eve!
    Here's a chart explaining the differences. It looks as if the enhanced permit picks up a few extra states and allows a person to bypass the regular background check when purchasing a firearm (the permit holder is rechecked every so often; so that counts as the background check).

https://sdsos.gov/services-for-indiv...ifications.pdf
    Last edited by Nascar24Glock; 07-01-2016 at 12:18 AM.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin