Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site running s-l-o-w-w-w-w

Site running s-l-o-w-w-w-w

FYI
    Keep seeing server timeout errors when trying to access OCDO.
    A few times the page has loaded correctly, others piecemeal, others 505 error.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Slow? It's been down half the day. Might have been a down server because I've not gotten a thing to load for hours
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

It's problematic posting a status report on a website for which the status report applies, but for those who might think to check here, and might be able to see this...

The host of the site has been undergoing a massive worldwide DDoS attack since the day after Christmas. Thousands of websites have been affected. No indication has been provided regarding the source or motive behind it, but it amounts to economic terrorism, if not an outright act of war, and IMHO, the full force of the US Military should be used to prosecute those persons and facilities behind it. If a few of these punks ended up dead one morning, I'm betting these kinds of things would stop.

TFred

http://status.linode.com/

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Still at 8 a.m. e.s.t. the site is still running slow. Could not get on during the night. I'm starting to have withdrawals. Doctor Grape what should I do??????

2016 will be the year of proactive, shared defense against DDoS. Nexusguard

“With the commoditization of DDoS booter sites, more and more people will launch attacks to a greater base of targets,” says Barry, pointing the blame solidly at Lizard Squad’s Lizard Stresser, a publicly visible website that allows anonymous users to pay a few dollars for a few minutes of DDoS against any target they desire.

In past years, these sort of stresser (or booter) websites existed only underground, in the dark web beneath layers of TOR or hidden behind VPN networks accessible only through contacts in hacker forums. The Lizard Squad’s presence in the light of day, easy to find, providing a tool that solicits and enables criminal DDoS attacks has changed that marketplace.

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/12...ernet-in-2016/

Armada Collective blackmails Swiss Hosting Providers Earlier this year, we warned about DD4BC, a hacker group that tried to extort money from high value targets in Switzerland and abroad. While DD4BC is still around, MELANI / GovCERT.ch as well as the Cybercrime Coordination Unit Switzerland (CYCO) did receive several independent reports from hosting Providers in Switzerland recently that they are being blackmailed by a hacker group that calls themselves Armada Collective.

The modus operandi observed was exactly the same as in the case of DD4BC: The Aramda Collective blackmails their victim, demanding 10 BTC (Bitcoins), which is around 2’500 CHF. At the same time, the hackers launch a Distributed Denial of Service Attack (DDoS) against the victim’s web site to demonstrate their power. This demo DDoS attack usually lasts for 15min – 30min, while the bandwidth varies from around 300Mbit/s up to 15GBit/s and occasionally even more.The attackers threats their victim that in case of non-paying, they will launch another, even bigger DDoS attack to bring the victims website down.

The attackers usually send their blackmail from either armadacollective@openmailbox.org or a similar email address at a free email service provider, using the subject "Ransom request: DDOS ATTACK!".

http://www.govcert.admin.ch/blog/14/...ting-providers

We can protect ourselves from corrupt DNS control messages with local manual HOSTS files, but the hosting community is vulnerable to nation-state attacks. The sites resistant to government control are particular targets of such.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    It's problematic posting a status report on a website for which the status report applies, but for those who might think to check here, and might be able to see this...

The host of the site has been undergoing a massive worldwide DDoS attack since the day after Christmas. Thousands of websites have been affected. No indication has been provided regarding the source or motive behind it, but it amounts to economic terrorism, if not an outright act of war, and IMHO, the full force of the US Military should be used to prosecute those persons and facilities behind it. If a few of these punks ended up dead one morning, I'm betting these kinds of things would stop.

TFred

The fedgov and military already find/invent too many pretexts to go to war, ratchet up the national debt, enrich military suppliers, and so forth. Let us please not suggest another avenue (boulevard!) to them.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    - 1 The fedgov and military already find/invent too many pretexts to go to war, ratchet up the national debt, enrich military suppliers, and so forth. Let us please not suggest another avenue (boulevard!) to them.
    Too late. In the first messages from from my Swiss e-mail provider, after Swiss GovCERT got involved, they were attributing the attack to nation-state actor/capability.

Microsoft to warn clients about 'nation-state' intrusion, not competitors. 1 Jan '16

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...qs4gB3DR0wQpnM

Report: Microsoft did not warn customers China had hacked accounts
    http://www.westfieldtimes.com/techno...ccounts/88398/

Oh, and remember you readers, you're not the client/customer, you are the product.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-02-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...qs4gB3DR0wQpnM

Report: Microsoft did not warn customers China had hacked accounts
    http://www.westfieldtimes.com/techno...ccounts/88398/

Oh, and remember you readers, you're not the client/customer, you are the product.
    If I'm the product then they are going to starve to death.

Update - Our Network Engineers are still working with our upstream provider on mitigating this latest DoS attack. We'll post an update here when we believe connectivity has normalized.
    Jan 2, 13:45 UTC
    Update - Around two hours after bringing things back online, attacks on Atlanta have started again which are affecting the entire datacenter. At this time we are being taken back offline to attempt further mitigation.
    Jan 2, 07:01 UTC

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Holy ****. Using buzzwords to justify homicide, even full scale war. That's not what we need OCers to be spouting to the world.
    Advocate freedom please

Banned
    Someone uploaded a pic of Rose O'Donnell .. now the interweb is broke.

Site is on/off for the last day .... patience patience

Apparently these datacenters need network engineers who know what they are doing. DDOS attacks have been around for over a decade, and proper network design along with good router configs along with intrusion detection/mitigation tools can easily make these attacks moot.

Wowwie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drsysadmin View Post
    Apparently these datacenters need network engineers who know what they are doing. DDOS attacks have been around for over a decade, and proper network design along with good router configs along with intrusion detection/mitigation tools can easily make these attacks moot.
    These attacks are world wide, carried out by the best most powerful spy grade hackers.
    It is not some pimply faced kid in a basement.
    The best of the worlds IT guys from all over are fighting this attack,
    but then,, maybe you could give them some help!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

OPM can't secure my freaking PII on a Clearance Application, and server farm managers can't prevent attacks....

I'm goin' OFF the grid......... LOL!
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    I'm not sure I buy this. I used several proxy servers that should have meant different servers were being used. I should have gotten through on one of them
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    I'm not sure I buy this. I used several proxy servers that should have meant different servers were being used. I should have gotten through on one of them
    Your concept of TCP is faulty to the extreme, just a bit worse than the other poster above.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Your concept of TCP is faulty to the extreme, just a bit worse than the other poster above.
    He didn't express a concept of TCP, I hardly see how you could conclude he has a faulty concept of it. One needn't even know what "TCP" stands for to know how to use a proxy server. Nor would an understanding of TCP be necessary to understand why using a proxy server would not bypass the issue. The problem can fairly easily be explained in layman's terms. Go ahead if you're willing... Let's see your explanation of the issue so that we may all be educated. Extra points if you can somehow legitimately tie in an explanation of the "concept of TCP."
    Advocate freedom please

My question is it fixed until the next attack?

status.opencarry.org

In the future you will be able to visit http://status.opencarry.org/ in order to get up to the minutes updates when there are technical issues with the site.

Thanks for your patience.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

The fedgov and military already find/invent too many pretexts to go to war, ratchet up the national debt, enrich military suppliers, and so forth. Let us please not suggest another avenue (boulevard!) to them.
    It's easy to point fingers when you have no stake in the game. These attacks are every bit as costly as iron and TNT on infrastructure targets, and in many ways even more so. How does bending over, and paying absurd ransom demands to electronic terrorists help anyone in the long run? As others have posted, this is not Billy and Joe down in mommy's basement with a FiOS connection, this is tens or even hundreds of thousands of compromised computers all around the world at the command of organized crime and terrorists in the 21st century.

I stand by my post: If a few of these suckers wake up dead one morning, courtesy of our Seal Team 6 type folks, it will stop. Thousands of websites were affected by this attack, it has nothing to do with the subject of this one in particular.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 01-02-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drsysadmin View Post
    I have to thank you. The absurdity of your post was quite amusing, and gave me a nice chuckle.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    He didn't express a concept of TCP, I hardly see how you could conclude he has a faulty concept of it. One needn't even know what "TCP" stands for to know how to use a proxy server. Nor would an understanding of TCP be necessary to understand why using a proxy server would not bypass the issue. The problem can fairly easily be explained in layman's terms. Go ahead if you're willing... Let's see your explanation of the issue so that we may all be educated. Extra points if you can somehow legitimately tie in an explanation of the "concept of TCP."
    I have to thank you. The absurdity of your post was quite amusing, and gave me a nice chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Holy ****. Using buzzwords to justify homicide, even full scale war. That's not what we need OCers to be spouting to the world.
    Today it was a web hosting network. Tomorrow it might be the electric grid for the eastern 1/3 of the United States and Canada. Do you have any idea how little difference there is in the efforts needed to take one down over the other?

TFred

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    In the future you will be able to visit http://status.opencarry.org/ in order to get up to the minutes updates when there are technical issues with the site.

Thanks for your patience.

John

Jan 2, 2016
    Linode DDOS Attack

OpenCarry.org is hosted by Linode's Atlanta data center which has been the subject of an intense DDOS attack since Christmas. We have seen slowdowns and downtime since then. Linode is working to correct the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast