Thread: Two forms of ID for handgun purchases

Two forms of ID for handgun purchases

Besides a drivers license, what other forms of ID also contain the persons address?

If we have to provide two forms with matching addresses, to me it seems like the fedcoats put this in there as a stumbling block for ordinary citizens to buy a firearm.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd7 View Post
    Besides a drivers license, what other forms of ID also contain the persons address?

If we have to provide two forms with matching addresses, to me it seems like the fedcoats put this in there as a stumbling block for ordinary citizens to buy a firearm.
    A little more explanation please.

In Ohio all that's required is a driver license or a state issued picture ID. Two IDs not required.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd7 View Post

Not a serious problem at all.

"A "secondary identification" needs to show the same address as the primary ID. This could be documents such as a car registration, previously valid hunting or fishing license, concealed weapons permit, or a utility bill."
    http://www.wilcoxbaitandtackle.com/b...un-in-virginia

Secondary Identification for CHP:

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

• a current lease,
    • evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
    • a current utility or telephone bill,
    • a current voter registration card,
    • a current bank check,
    • a current passport,
    • a current automobile registration and
    • current hunting or fishing license.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    So this should be posted in the Virginia thread?

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    So this should be posted in the Virginia thread?
    Prolly - moved it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Not a serious problem at all.

"A "secondary identification" needs to show the same address as the primary ID. This could be documents such as a car registration, previously valid hunting or fishing license, concealed weapons permit, or a utility bill."
    http://www.wilcoxbaitandtackle.com/b...un-in-virginia

Secondary Identification for CHP:

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

• a current lease,
    • evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
    • a current utility or telephone bill,
    • a current voter registration card,
    • a current bank check,
    • a current passport,
    • a current automobile registration and
    • current hunting or fishing license.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
    I know my passport doesn't show my address, so I checked Logan's passport and our address isn't on that either. As I've usually driven to pickup whatever firearm I've purchased, I tend to use my drivers license and the car registration
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

The confusion probably stems from the incorrect assumption that both ID documents must have a photo.

The other interesting point that gets mentioned from time to time, but for which I've never seen a definitive resolution: Passports.

Passports are good for 10 years, and as far as I know, have NEVER been issued with a current address, simply because the government realizes that many people will move during a 10 year span of time. They provide space in the booklet for you to print your current address IN PENCIL. Yet the VSP website says that a passport is sufficient ID. Has anyone here ever used a passport as a second ID? Seems to me that it would not provide proof of residence, but merely proof of US Citizenship.

On a related note, does anyone know if the newer Passport Cards have your address printed on them?

TFred

Banned
    Why does one think one needs ID to purchase? Just because a form says to enter some data does mean its mandatory.

I never saw it as mandatory and sold many guns w/o completing areas of a 4473.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Why does one think one needs ID to purchase? Just because a form says to enter some data does mean its mandatory.

I never saw it as mandatory and sold many guns w/o completing areas of a 4473.
    and some wonder why an EO is needed for an overhaul...sigh

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    ... Has anyone here ever used a passport as a second ID? Seems to me that it would not provide proof of residence, but merely proof of US Citizenship.

On a related note, does anyone know if the newer Passport Cards have your address printed on them?
    I've often used my passport or passport card as identification, my driving license stays in my car 24/7 (as I constantly misplace my wallet).
    Neither passport nor card has the citizen's address (another good reason to use it when Officer Friendly gets a bit nosy.)

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I have my pic imposed on my license plate ... someone wants a second photo ID I just drive my car up to his desk. Viola ! 2nd photo ID provided !

Want a third?
    You would seem to be admitting to defacing the state issued license plate that you are presently allowed to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You would seem to be admitting to defacing the state issued license plate that you are presently allowed to use.
    Only if anyone were to believe him.

I find that difficult with his history.