• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two forms of ID for handgun purchases

Shepherd7

Besides a drivers license, what other forms of ID also contain the persons address?

If we have to provide two forms with matching addresses, to me it seems like the fedcoats put this in there as a stumbling block for ordinary citizens to buy a firearm.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Besides a drivers license, what other forms of ID also contain the persons address?

If we have to provide two forms with matching addresses, to me it seems like the fedcoats put this in there as a stumbling block for ordinary citizens to buy a firearm.
A little more explanation please.

In Ohio all that's required is a driver license or a state issued picture ID. Two IDs not required.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Not a serious problem at all.

"A "secondary identification" needs to show the same address as the primary ID. This could be documents such as a car registration, previously valid hunting or fishing license, concealed weapons permit, or a utility bill."
http://www.wilcoxbaitandtackle.com/blog/buying-a-gun-in-virginia

Secondary Identification for CHP:

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

• a current lease,
  • evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
  • a current utility or telephone bill,
  • a current voter registration card,
  • a current bank check,
  • a current passport,
  • a current automobile registration and
  • current hunting or fishing license.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

scouser

Not a serious problem at all.

"A "secondary identification" needs to show the same address as the primary ID. This could be documents such as a car registration, previously valid hunting or fishing license, concealed weapons permit, or a utility bill."
http://www.wilcoxbaitandtackle.com/blog/buying-a-gun-in-virginia

Secondary Identification for CHP:

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

• a current lease,
  • evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
  • a current utility or telephone bill,
  • a current voter registration card,
  • a current bank check,
  • a current passport,
  • a current automobile registration and
  • current hunting or fishing license.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

I know my passport doesn't show my address, so I checked Logan's passport and our address isn't on that either. As I've usually driven to pickup whatever firearm I've purchased, I tend to use my drivers license and the car registration

TFred

The confusion probably stems from the incorrect assumption that both ID documents must have a photo.

The other interesting point that gets mentioned from time to time, but for which I've never seen a definitive resolution: Passports.

Passports are good for 10 years, and as far as I know, have NEVER been issued with a current address, simply because the government realizes that many people will move during a 10 year span of time. They provide space in the booklet for you to print your current address IN PENCIL. Yet the VSP website says that a passport is sufficient ID. Has anyone here ever used a passport as a second ID? Seems to me that it would not provide proof of residence, but merely proof of US Citizenship.

On a related note, does anyone know if the newer Passport Cards have your address printed on them?

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why does one think one needs ID to purchase? Just because a form says to enter some data does mean its mandatory.

I never saw it as mandatory and sold many guns w/o completing areas of a 4473.

solus

Why does one think one needs ID to purchase? Just because a form says to enter some data does mean its mandatory.

I never saw it as mandatory and sold many guns w/o completing areas of a 4473.

and some wonder why an EO is needed for an overhaul...sigh

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

... Has anyone here ever used a passport as a second ID? Seems to me that it would not provide proof of residence, but merely proof of US Citizenship.

On a related note, does anyone know if the newer Passport Cards have your address printed on them?
I've often used my passport or passport card as identification, my driving license stays in my car 24/7 (as I constantly misplace my wallet).
Neither passport nor card has the citizen's address (another good reason to use it when Officer Friendly gets a bit nosy.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have my pic imposed on my license plate ... someone wants a second photo ID I just drive my car up to his desk. Viola ! 2nd photo ID provided !

Want a third?
You would seem to be admitting to defacing the state issued license plate that you are presently allowed to use.