• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UT bill to teach firearm safety and shooter scenarios for eighth-grade students

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure how I feel about the automatic linking of "firearms safety" and "active shooter" training, except that I don't like it. I'd like to see those as very distinctive training programs, but I understand it being authored by a representative who is thinking the right direction about "gun" things the common politician would rather ignore. Good for him.

Last edited:

solus

I'm not sure how I feel about the automatic linking of "firearms safety" and "active shooter" training, except that I don't like it. I'd like to see those as very distinctive training programs, but I understand it being authored by a representative who is thinking the right direction about "gun" things the common politician would rather ignore. Good for him.

after pondering the concept further...guess the concept is no different than the DARE pgm...

ipse

Rusty Young Man

Salt Lake Tribune article said:
Classes would not demonstrate how to use a gun, Weiler said, but instead would focus on teaching children to contact an adult if they come across a firearm.

"There will be no guns in the classrooms," he said. "It's more, if you happen to encounter a gun, this is what you should and shouldn't do."

SNIP...

The bill also calls for instruction on attacks involving gunmen, but Weiler said that is secondary to teaching students to be cautious and responsible around firearms.

"If we're going to talk about guns while we're in school, I think it would be silly not to be able to mention something about an active shooter situation," he said.

Schools are currently required to develop safety plans and procedures, which typically include training students for fires, earthquakes, health emergencies and evacuations.

And recent legislation has directed schools to hold regular seminars on bullying, suicide prevention, Internet safety and substance abuse.

So no real firearms in classrooms for the kids to handle. Common sense. But why not training "guns" to teach about the Four Rules of firearm safety? You know, the same ones that need to be broken simultaneously for anyone to come to harm?:confused:

It wouldn't be teaching kids HOW to shoot, just the proper safety protocols. Same as with Sex Ed, really. I mean, Sex Ed isn't in place to PROMOTE engaging in sexual activity, just to teach about the hardware, dangers, and safety practices involved.

On another note, you gotta wonder: if the program would only teach the equivalent of "Stop! Don't touch! Tell an adult!", why try to reinvent the wheel when the NRA already has the Eddie Eagle program and materials to teach EXACTLY the same lesson?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Eagle

Not familiar with the DARE prgm. Don't see the connection. Tell me more.

Drug Abuse Resistance Education. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_Abuse_Resistance_Education

Here in AZ, we would get a "pledge" to sign each year of middle school and would be told all about the evils of booze, drugs, peer pressure to use the same, etc. Kind of like the "Red Ribbon Week" we did in Kindergarten through 5th grade.

Not sure how effective the programs were on a national scale, but several school classmates and "friends"* of mine didn't quite make it past even middle school without succumbing to some sort of addiction. :(

*in the way that word was tossed around at that age.

Last edited:

OC for ME

http://moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/17100004101.html?&me=firearm

Program may be taught to first graders, purpose. - RSMo 171.410.

1. Each school district and charter school may annually teach the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program to first grade students. School districts and charter schools may also teach any substantially similar program of the same qualifications or any successor program in lieu of the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program.

Hmm...

solus

So no real firearms in classrooms for the kids to handle. Common sense. But why not training "guns" to teach about the Four Rules of firearm safety? You know, the same ones that need to be broken simultaneously for anyone to come to harm?:confused:

It wouldn't be teaching kids HOW to shoot, just the proper safety protocols. Same as with Sex Ed, really. I mean, Sex Ed isn't in place to PROMOTE engaging in sexual activity, just to teach about the hardware, dangers, and safety practices involved.

On another note, you gotta wonder: if the program would only teach the equivalent of "Stop! Don't touch! Tell an adult!", why try to reinvent the wheel when the NRA already has the Eddie Eagle program and materials to teach EXACTLY the same lesson?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Eagle

Drug Abuse Resistance Education. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_Abuse_Resistance_Education

Here in AZ, we would get a "pledge" to sign each year of middle school and would be told all about the evils of booze, drugs, peer pressure to use the same, etc. Kind of like the "Red Ribbon Week" we did in Kindergarten through 5th grade.

Not sure how effective the programs were on a national scale, but several school classmates and "friends"* of mine didn't quite make it past even middle school without succumbing to some sort of addiction. :(

*in the way that word was tossed around at that age.

:eek: what, excuse me... contemplate using common sense and have the NRA's training department, who have been engaged in firearm training activities since 1870ish (not to be confused with the NRA's political side who have only been around since early 70s) contribute something they are well versed in?

nawllll i have faith (am i allowed to use that word on the forum?) the good folk in UTAH will of course devise their own emotionalized, biased, kluged crap instead of a viable program.

same thing happened to DARE...substance abuse and mental health consultants were left out as quote: ...joint initiative of ex-LAPD chief Daryl Gates and the Los Angeles Unified School District...unquote as the as Gates, et al., continued the war on drugs, which has had such good success.

ipse