• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry holsters

joey4910

Hi everyone, my name is Joe 32 year old father of two.
I have recently made the choice to start open carrying.
My question is how to properly holster a gun on my body in ohio.
Do I need a paddle holster or could I use a IWB holster with my shirt tucked behind the weapon?

Would appreciate anyone with experience or knowledge on this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Your preference - so long as the handgun is identifiable as a gun.

Caution - OC in a vehicle requires a permit in Ohio.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Grapeshot is correct. And yes, you cannot carry a loaded gun in your car without a license. I suggest you get one.

You having children puts a burden on you to teach your kids gun safety. Also proper storage.

The Ohio section has a lot of good info. And if your not sure of something that takes more than a simple explanation PM one of us in the Ohio forum and we will help you out.

Good luck.....

Also, what part of Ohio do you live in?

Last edited:

joey4910

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the transportation of firearms laws. I appreciate the concern though.

I live in the Medina County area just outside of Medina City

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If it had been cocked, you could guess condition 0, or probably locked for condition 1, but
with an Inertial firing pin condition 2 is my go to choice!
"Never ever carry the Star with a round in the chamber the firing pin is not of the inertia type. In other words the firing pin actually rests right on top of the primer if the hammer is down and if you drop the gun it will go off if it hits on the hammer when it falls."
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=32126

Now to be honest, I own several Stars and carry them cocked, locked & loaded. Very reliable, combat accurate, handguns from an era when drop proofing wasn't considered mandatory.

Star parts may still be available - no date on link.
http://www.gun-parts.com/star/

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

"
[/URL]Now to be honest, I own several Stars and carry them cocked, locked & loaded. Very reliable, combat accurate, handguns from an era when drop proofing wasn't considered mandatory.

]

I think I had five of them one time gave some away sold another kept the best shooting one. It is very accurate it appears it was worked over the rails have been machined and slide fitted it has a very tight bushing.

At 15 yards she well put them into one ragged hole.

Maybe I should dig out of the safe again and shoot it farther. Just haven't done so another of the projects I should get to.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

"Never ever carry the Star with a round in the chamber the firing pin is not of the inertia type. In other words the firing pin actually rests right on top of the primer if the hammer is down and if you drop the gun it will go off if it hits on the hammer when it falls."

Now to be honest, I own several Stars and carry them cocked, locked & loaded. Very reliable, combat accurate, handguns from an era when drop proofing wasn't considered mandatory.

Thank you for your concern, and for the link, I read it, all.
Never believe anything you read, unless you verify it for yourself!
In this case, someone we dont know, from 13 yeas ago spewed some misinformation.
I have owned 3 Star super As for many years, they are circa 1975.
One thing I always check in a new to me gun is for inertia firing pin or not!
I have already known how these Stars worked, but just for peace/piece of mind,
I just stripped down my favorite 1, and verified that,
When the hammer is down and pressing the firing pin into the frame as far as it physically can,
The tip of the firing pin is 3 thousands of an inch Below the Breech Face!!
It is NOT Resting against the primer!

I mostly carry in condition 2 as getting ready to fire is still just one hand
and as fast to cock a hammer as it is to flick off a safety.

And nobody ever asks me "did you know your hammer is back?"

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

And not only does Grapeshot own several Stars, Grapeshot has six Star by his name......And he has been known to throw those stars, duck.....