• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Instructor told class .. It's against the law to carry where "No Guns" signs

Ouch

CCW Instructor told class .. It's against the law to carry where "No Guns" signs

My wife and four other family members took their CCW class yesterday, and they said the instructor said it was against the law to carry your weapon into any establishments that has a "No Guns" sticker on their door. He went on to say, That a police officer can charge you for trespassing if he/she alone saw you carrying in a business with a "No Guns" sticker on the front door. The owner or employee doesn't have to be involved and the police officer could act on their own. I find this hard to believe. My instructor said when I took my class, the signs had no meaning, and it only becomes against the law "If the employee/owner asked you to leave, and you refuse".

My questions is... Is there something written in the Oklahoma Law book that points this matter out that I can show my wife that this isn't true? Or have I fallen behind times, and this has become law?

Thanks.

P.S. The instructor is a police officer.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not true

My wife and four other family members took their CCW class yesterday, and they said the instructor said it was against the law to carry your weapon into any establishments that has a "No Guns" sticker on their door. He went on to say, That a police officer can charge you for trespassing if he/she alone saw you carrying in a business with a "No Guns" sticker on the front door. The owner or employee doesn't have to be involved and the police officer could act on their own. I find this hard to believe. My instructor said when I took my class, the signs had no meaning, and it only becomes against the law "If the employee/owner asked you to leave, and you refuse".

My questions is... Is there something written in the Oklahoma Law book that points this matter out that I can show my wife that this isn't true? Or have I fallen behind times, and this has become law?

Thanks.

First and foremost a police officer is not an agent for the property. Second, LEOs are generally not responsible for their mistaken advice.

What the Oklahoma statute actually says:
TITLE 21 § 1290.22

D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on
property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may
subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to
leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation
for an amount not to
exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00)

Last edited:

notalawyer

Thanks.

Well, there's your explanation. :uhoh:

jc79

My wife and four other family members took their CCW class yesterday, and they said the instructor said it was against the law to carry your weapon into any establishments that has a "No Guns" sticker on their door.

Some CCW instructors don't know the law or their knowledge of it is outdated. I once ran across an instructor that tried to convince me that my FL Concealed License was not valid in OK and that I needed to take his class to know the laws. He also stated that I could not open carry with my FL license and that I needed an OK one. He didn't seem to like that I quoted the state statue that proved him dead wrong.

I understand the man was trying to run a business and get clients....but I also don't like deceptive practices. The bottomline is that it helps to read the law yourself.

JC

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So what firearms instruction place is hiring this cop to lie to their students? Out them, and let's actually FIX this.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Spread the word on any instructor who is blatant in his bias against liberty. Hit him in his pocket.

OP may be worried about a defamation suit. While the truth is a perfect defense, it would still cost $$ to defend ... if the OP is not able to act as his/her own attny.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

One of the biggest issues of the firearms debate and laws of the land is that both sides hear part of the law then insert their opinions in to it. Then it becomes totally incorrect and a lie too.

Even when I became an instructor there was misinformation spread by gun rights groups and orgs who are supposedly supporting gun rights. The best thing you can do is research for yourself and go with what is in the law. When you ask advice be prepared for some that can land you in hot water if you follow it.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
First and foremost a police officer is not an agent for the property. Second, LEOs are generally not responsible for their mistaken advice.

What the Oklahoma statute actually says:
TITLE 21 § 1290.22

D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on
property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may
subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to
leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation
for an amount not to
exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00)

OK, I see that a person may be issued a citation in an amount not be exceed $250.00---- But for what? Violation of a statute that specifies "not be deemed a criminal act"?

Last edited:

ethansisson

OK, I see that a person may be issued a citation in an amount not be exceed $250.00---- But for what? Violation of a statute that specifies "not be deemed a criminal act"?

Yes, pretty much. It's not a crime. It's an infraction (not sure if that's a term used in Oklahoma law, but it is in many jurisdictions). It's similar to receiving a citation for a traffic violation. As I understand, this law was modeled after the idea of simple trespass, which is also not a crime (as opposed to "criminal trespass").

What I've said above is probably not technically correct on all points. I'm no lawyer. But I'm pretty confident the gist of it is right.

OldCurlyWolf

If you are told to leave and refuse, THEN it becomes CRIMINAL Trespass.
:cool:

Glock 1st fan

One of the biggest problems Oklahoma has had is instructors giving bad class information. Even for the longest time on here I had witnessed people representing orginizations for gun rights giving bad advice. I always tell people refer to the handbook itself because following other peoples advice can land you in hot water and even jail. You can look the handbook up online and read it first hand without interpretations. If you still need legal advice its best to constult a legal professional who deals with this area of law.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
There is no case law dealing with TITLE 21 § 1290.22(D).

It is a civil fine of $250. No criminal involved, period.

Many state parking infractions are civil not criminal. Ohio is for sure.