Thread: Assault weapons and Hi cap magazine ban introduced

Assault weapons and Hi cap magazine ban introduced

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summa...2015#documents

HB 2354 - 2015-16

There is a comment on this bill button to the right at the top, click on it fill out the info, comment and your comments will be sent to your elected officials, takes about 1 minute.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post

HB 2354 - 2015-16

There is a comment on this bill button to the right at the top, click on it fill out the info, comment and your comments will be sent to your elected officials, takes about 1 minute.
    And you can mark "Opposed" to be sent to the data collector's, get everyone in your house to fill one out. Dead, Alive, Pets....
    Live Free or Die!

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar

HB 2354 - 2015-16

Passing this bill is a violation of the Second Amendment. The right to keep and bear arms *shall not* be infringed. Vote no.

well apparently a quote does not count as a message and I had to have at least one character. ok then.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Thumbs down

Apparently my semi-auto shotgun would be illegal because it's magazine holds more than 5 rounds. I'd be grandfathered in but wouldn't be able to buy another and I don't like that.

Sent in my comments and Opposed.
    Last edited by ARADCOM; 01-11-2016 at 01:39 AM.

Banned
    My guns break no laws of physics. How can they? And a gov't cannot regulate a right.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    My guns break no laws of physics. How can they? And a gov't cannot regulate a right.
    Got any proof of that?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Got any proof of that?
    Because a regulated right is not a right. Its a permission. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

I put this on the Whatcom County fazeboog page. I also emailed it to everyone on my list. Spread the word and put this stupid cr@p down.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 01-11-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I responded as opposed. Telling the idiots in charge that this law would just pander to the blood thirsty media.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I replied as well. Seems the system is OK with out of state submissions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I put this on the Whatcom County fazeboog page. I also emailed it to everyone on my list. Spread the word and put this stupid cr@p down.
    I posted to every where I could thing of as well this ^^^^^^^^^ is what needs to happen to prevent bills like this from seeing the light of day.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Got any proof of that?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

They can't regulate this right. They do because we are foolish enough to let them.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Banned
    I posted to every where I could thing of as well this ^^^^^^^^^ is what needs to happen to prevent bills like this from seeing the light of day.
    Take the opportunity to educate people on their rights and how gov't officials cannot change rights.

Take the opportunity to educate people on their rights and how gov't officials cannot change rights.
    I do almost daily, the government did not give our rights and they damn sure cant take them away.

Voted Opposed. My comment below...

This bill like I-594 is the reason I moved out of Washington state to a free state like Idaho (Idaho ranked #6 in the "freedom in the fifty states" ranking). Criminals don't obey laws; hence the term "criminal". So glad to be out of Washington. Good luck with your purple skies and unicorns.

This is the reply I got back from Steve O'Ban:

Thank you for your message. First, I want you to know that I do not support House Bill 2354.

Second, HB 2354 must first pass the House, prior to it being considered here in the Senate. That means receiving a public (committee) hearing, then committee approval, then “yes” votes from at least 50 members of the 98-member House of Representatives. We doubt HB 2354 will receive sufficient votes to pass out of the House. The deadline for all bills to pass out of the House is February 5th.

Third, even if the bill should make it out of the House, again very unlikely, it will not pass the Republican-led Senate.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should have any questions.
    I carry a Para Ordance 1911 .45 ACP.

Thanks for the heads up on this Jeff. Opposition submitted with the following comment:

This proposal violates the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article 1 Section 24 of the Washington Constitution. Just like the Federal ban of so-called "Assault Weapons" in effect from 1994-2004, this law will do nothing to reduce crime and will only restrict commonly owned firearms based on cosmetic features that some people find scary. That is not a sound basis for any legislation.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

I also sent in a note a few days ago, but haven't heard anything back. Then again, I live in North Seattle, so I'm not exactly a welcome constituent in my district. There is no one more intolerant nor enamored of mob violence than a self-styled progressive.

Bizarrely, but delightfully, my next door neighbor came over to talk about his guns the first time he saw me OC, a couple days after we moved in. And his wife is the head of the neighborhood busybody committee, so anyone who gets their panties in a bunch can get stuffed. Great big double deuces to you, Seattle progressives!

email

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    I also sent in a note a few days ago, but haven't heard anything back. Then again, I live in North Seattle, so I'm not exactly a welcome constituent in my district. There is no one more intolerant nor enamored of mob violence than a self-styled progressive.

Bizarrely, but delightfully, my next door neighbor came over to talk about his guns the first time he saw me OC, a couple days after we moved in. And his wife is the head of the neighborhood busybody committee, so anyone who gets their panties in a bunch can get stuffed. Great big double deuces to you, Seattle progressives!
    My strategy has always been to send an email to the bill sponsor, and cosponsors. I also CC my elected representatives and the committee the bill is referred to.

I sign[type] my full name and phone number / very respectfully.

It is interesting to note I have received more correspondence than I have sent. This strategy has also allowed me to develop a kind of relationship with the legislators who always seem to be on the receiving end.

I'm pretty sure a lot of them hit the delete button when they see my name in the inbox.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this Jeff. Opposition submitted with the following comment:

This proposal violates the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article 1 Section 24 of the Washington Constitution. Just like the Federal ban of so-called "Assault Weapons" in effect from 1994-2004, this law will do nothing to reduce crime and will only restrict commonly owned firearms based on cosmetic features that some people find scary. That is not a sound basis for any legislation.
    Positive replies indicating opposition to the proposed law received from Rep. Jeff Holy and Sen. Mike Baumgartner (District 6). Will update when I hear from Rep. Kevin Parker.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    This is the reply I got back from Steve O'Ban:

Thank you for your message. First, I want you to know that I do not support House Bill 2354.

SNIP .
    In other words, O'Ban O'pposes the Ban? :-)
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA

US v Miller would seem to rule that the original ban was illegal also.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

All of my local representatives in the house and senate have received and responded to my emailed opposition. Each has stated their stance against this type of legislation.

I am pleased with their responses.

I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, but reading through bill 2354, I found this:

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, possess, purchase, sell, or otherwise transfer any assault weapon or large capacity magazine except as authorized in this section.
    (2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) The possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine by a person who legally possessed the assault weapon or large capacity magazine prior to the effective date of this section, or possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine by a person who, on or after the effective date of this section, acquires possession of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine by operation of law upon the death of the former owner who was in legal possession of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine. A person who legally possesses an assault weapon or large capacity magazine under this subsection (2)(a) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gun smith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon or large capacity magazine;

And later on in the same subsection:
    (g) The possession and transport of an unloaded assault weapon for the purpose of permanently relinquishing it to a law enforcement agency in this state. An assault weapon relinquished to a law enforcement agency under this subsection must be destroyed.

They are laying the groundwork for confiscation of "assault weapons" and magazines. Notice the virtually identical phrasing. If the legislature can get this passed, that's the hard battle. But if it does, it'll be much easier to slide in a piece of legislature that repeals/removes the grandfather clause. And it will be promoted as a "repeal of part of the AWB" to the people, who won't bother reading it. Or that it removes the grandfather clause, which would make it seem like people can buy the guns again.

Why else would two identical phrases be included in a bill? I'm betting they're going to try to repeal the grandfather clause subsection, and only leave in the exemption for inheritance.