• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault weapons and Hi cap magazine ban introduced

Stretch

All of my local representatives in the house and senate have received and responded to my emailed opposition. Each has stated their stance against this type of legislation.

I am pleased with their responses.

mikeyb

I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, but reading through bill 2354, I found this:

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, possess, purchase, sell, or otherwise transfer any assault weapon or large capacity magazine except as authorized in this section.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) The possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine by a person who legally possessed the assault weapon or large capacity magazine prior to the effective date of this section, or possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine by a person who, on or after the effective date of this section, acquires possession of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine by operation of law upon the death of the former owner who was in legal possession of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine. A person who legally possesses an assault weapon or large capacity magazine under this subsection (2)(a) may not sell or transfer the assault weapon to any other person in this state other than to a licensed dealer, to a federally licensed gun smith for the purpose of service or repair, or to a law enforcement agency for the purpose of permanently relinquishing the assault weapon or large capacity magazine;

And later on in the same subsection:
(g) The possession and transport of an unloaded assault weapon for the purpose of permanently relinquishing it to a law enforcement agency in this state. An assault weapon relinquished to a law enforcement agency under this subsection must be destroyed.

They are laying the groundwork for confiscation of "assault weapons" and magazines. Notice the virtually identical phrasing. If the legislature can get this passed, that's the hard battle. But if it does, it'll be much easier to slide in a piece of legislature that repeals/removes the grandfather clause. And it will be promoted as a "repeal of part of the AWB" to the people, who won't bother reading it. Or that it removes the grandfather clause, which would make it seem like people can buy the guns again.

Why else would two identical phrases be included in a bill? I'm betting they're going to try to repeal the grandfather clause subsection, and only leave in the exemption for inheritance.