Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Training specific to open carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    210

    Training specific to open carry?

    I'm interested in taking some classes with an eye toward becoming more proficient with my pistol as a defensive weapon. I see lots of options out there, but all of them seem to either be "[insert skill level] pistol" or "[insert skill level] concealed carry".

    Are there any trainers in Virginia or the surrounding states with a focus on the unique issues around open carry? I've done some retention training in the past, but it was in an informal setting and none of us really felt like we were experts on the subject. I'd love to find something led by a competent instructor that has sections for things like "dealing with a gun grab" or "knives vs. pocket pistols for retention".

    To be clear here, I'm not suggesting that "gun grabs" are a huge concern. I've been OCing for about three years now on a regular basis and am fully confident in my ability to remain aware of my surroundings and to keep my sidearm in my possession. All I'm saying is that I'd like to invest some time and money in more formal training to improve my skills. It's an unlikely scenario, sure, but I shoot silhouette targets where an attacker is holding a hostage as a shield and that seems like a situation I'm much less likely to encounter than someone trying to grab for my gun.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    http://shivworks.com/?page_id=881

    I have no dog in this fight.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  3. #3
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post
    I'm interested in taking some classes with an eye toward becoming more proficient with my pistol as a defensive weapon. I see lots of options out there, but all of them seem to either be "[insert skill level] pistol" or "[insert skill level] concealed carry".

    Are there any trainers in Virginia or the surrounding states with a focus on the unique issues around open carry? I've done some retention training in the past, but it was in an informal setting and none of us really felt like we were experts on the subject. I'd love to find something led by a competent instructor that has sections for things like "dealing with a gun grab" or "knives vs. pocket pistols for retention".

    To be clear here, I'm not suggesting that "gun grabs" are a huge concern. I've been OCing for about three years now on a regular basis and am fully confident in my ability to remain aware of my surroundings and to keep my sidearm in my possession. All I'm saying is that I'd like to invest some time and money in more formal training to improve my skills. It's an unlikely scenario, sure, but I shoot silhouette targets where an attacker is holding a hostage as a shield and that seems like a situation I'm much less likely to encounter than someone trying to grab for my gun.
    first i must inquire have you defined your true rational for carrying a firearm, e.g., is it to defend yourself and loved ones or protect the neighbourhood from marauding hordes as they take the community princess captive and you have been charged to free the princess? are you wishing you are a policeman but failed the written, physical, or mental tests and this activity keeps up your mythical world?

    once you have centered on a viable rational to carry and it pertains to the last concept i mentioned, the check with the nice LEs and see if there is a retired SWAT whatever to work on you.

    three gun activities are quite enjoyable and you will pick up techniques while you compete which then could be practiced on your own.

    finally, try pick up a laserlyte bullseye training ensemble there are some which report back to your computer and scores you where you hit?

    http://shop.opticsplanet.com/laserly...FRAbgQod0GMGlw

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    first i must inquire have you defined your true rational for carrying a firearm, e.g., is it to defend yourself and loved ones or protect the neighbourhood from marauding hordes as they take the community princess captive and you have been charged to free the princess? are you wishing you are a policeman but failed the written, physical, or mental tests and this activity keeps up your mythical world?

    once you have centered on a viable rational to carry and it pertains to the last concept i mentioned, the check with the nice LEs and see if there is a retired SWAT whatever to work on you.

    three gun activities are quite enjoyable and you will pick up techniques while you compete which then could be practiced on your own.

    finally, try pick up a laserlyte bullseye training ensemble there are some which report back to your computer and scores you where you hit?

    http://shop.opticsplanet.com/laserly...FRAbgQod0GMGlw

    ipse
    I'm not training to be a ninja, if that's what you're asking.

    > is it to defend yourself and loved ones

    Yes.

    > protect the neighbourhood from marauding hordes as they take the community princess captive and you have been charged to free the princess

    No.

    > are you wishing you are a policeman but failed the written, physical, or mental tests and this activity keeps up your mythical world?

    Ha! No, not even close. I'm a philosophical anarchist; the idea of my being a police officer is absurd.

    > once you have centered on a viable rational to carry and it pertains to the last concept i mentioned, the check with the nice LEs and see if there is a retired SWAT whatever to work on you.

    I'd really prefer not to be involved with LE.

    > three gun activities are quite enjoyable and you will pick up techniques while you compete which then could be practiced on your own.

    I don't have a shotgun, and don't particularly want to get one. I don't compete yet, but plan on joining IDPA in the next few weeks. I've now gotten my carry setup to the point where I figure IDPA would make sense.

  5. #5
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,883
    for those on a cost conscious binge.. http://imgur.com/gallery/YIVjg

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    I have always strived to be a benevolent dictator. The dictatorship part has been easy. It is the benevolent part that's been hard to achieve.
    Last edited by color of law; 01-11-2016 at 08:54 PM.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Let me start out by reminding everyone of our own ProShooter and that he does more than CHP classes.

    There's a guy out in Culpeper whose name I cannot recall who also does more than CHP and mall ninja classes.

    It would be A Good ThingTM to put together a list of trainers in VA and make it a sticky.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Let me start out by reminding everyone of our own ProShooter and that he does more than CHP classes.

    There's a guy out in Culpeper whose name I cannot recall who also does more than CHP and mall ninja classes.

    It would be A Good ThingTM to put together a list of trainers in VA and make it a sticky.

    stay safe.
    There is already a sub-forum for training in each state.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...ginia-Training
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    There is already a sub-forum for training in each state.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...ginia-Training
    It needs to be updated and expanded to include more trainers - especially those offering more than "Intro to the handgun/shotgun/carbine" and CHP classes.

    There are a bunch of good-to-excellent trainers who do the national circuit and offer to do a class/classes if a minimum number of students can be guaranteed.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Let me start out by reminding everyone of our own ProShooter and that he does more than CHP classes.

    There's a guy out in Culpeper whose name I cannot recall who also does more than CHP and mall ninja classes.

    It would be A Good ThingTM to put together a list of trainers in VA and make it a sticky.

    stay safe.

    Thanks for the mention!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    14
    My brother lives in Va. And belongs to the Virginia Ready Reserve, He tells me they offer a lot of different training. Check out the web site. Good luck.


    Semper Fi

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by captrickmoisa View Post
    My brother lives in Va. And belongs to the Virginia Ready Reserve, He tells me they offer a lot of different training. Check out the web site. Good luck.


    Semper Fi
    http://virginiareadyreserve.com/ Woods & Warfare ninjas with possibly some good stuff re preparedness. Not sure if their "survival" stuff has much applicability to folks who are either going to bug in or try to bug out to the family back 40 without a large group of like-minded paranoids.

    My biggest complaint is they insist you register before giving you any info on what types of training they offer, who provided it, and other such details. They also do not provide anything explaining their philosophy or how they intend to fit in with any sort of disaster situation.

    If anyone wants to give more specific information on them and their training I'll be glad to look at it and decide if my initial impression needs changing.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    http://virginiareadyreserve.com/ Woods & Warfare ninjas with possibly some good stuff re preparedness. Not sure if their "survival" stuff has much applicability to folks who are either going to bug in or try to bug out to the family back 40 without a large group of like-minded paranoids.

    My biggest complaint is they insist you register before giving you any info on what types of training they offer, who provided it, and other such details. They also do not provide anything explaining their philosophy or how they intend to fit in with any sort of disaster situation.

    If anyone wants to give more specific information on them and their training I'll be glad to look at it and decide if my initial impression needs changing.

    stay safe.
    Didn't we try this with them a couple of years ago with zero results??????

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Didn't we try this with them a couple of years ago with zero results??????
    There you go again, expecting newbies to know the entire history of the world of OCDO, as opposed to having to repeat it every time.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There you go again, expecting newbies to know the entire history of the world of OCDO, as opposed to having to repeat it every time.

    stay safe.
    My bad. What was I thinking? Thank you Oh Great One, for helping me find the path to enlightenment again.

    I guess I just had a DMcB moment. (Similar to a blond moment but worse)

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    The NRA offers courses called Personal Protection in the Home and PP outside the Home. The latter covers drawing from a holster, shooting while moving, etc. Information is available on the NRA website. Quality of instruction varies greatly. Part three of each course is the "law lecture", which I do for other instructors (being certified myself), so it's important to get some referrals around where you live. I don't know whether ProShooter does that course, but if he does and you live in Central Va., that's probably your best option.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    My bad. What was I thinking? Thank you Oh Great One, for helping me find the path to enlightenment again.

    I guess I just had a DMcB moment. (Similar to a blond moment but worse)
    It's natural, since Skidmark IS the font of all wisdom and knowledge.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    It's natural, since Skidmark IS the font of all wisdom and knowledge.
    WANTED: Large material moving equipment and operators for attempt to remove tongue from cheek. Prefer bids be submitted as full fixed price but will consider per-hour bids. No bio-fuel or other "green" materials will be allowed on work site. Bonus of up to 15% based on new words or word combinations uttered during performance of work.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    WANTED: Large material moving equipment and operators for attempt to remove tongue from cheek. Prefer bids be submitted as full fixed price but will consider per-hour bids. No bio-fuel or other "green" materials will be allowed on work site. Bonus of up to 15% based on new words or word combinations uttered during performance of work.

    stay safe.
    A high pressure water hose should be effective at half the price.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A high pressure water hose should be effective at half the price.
    Sorry that would only force material deeper causing a preponderance of discharge at the other end. lol

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Sorry that would only force material deeper causing a preponderance of discharge at the other end. lol
    Thus the phrase "blowing it out your *ss".

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  22. #22
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    The NRA offers courses called Personal Protection in the Home and PP outside the Home. The latter covers drawing from a holster, shooting while moving, etc. Information is available on the NRA website. Quality of instruction varies greatly. Part three of each course is the "law lecture", which I do for other instructors (being certified myself), so it's important to get some referrals around where you live. I don't know whether ProShooter does that course, but if he does and you live in Central Va., that's probably your best option.
    Thank you for mentioning me, User. I actually do not offer any of the NRA PP classes. We cover many the same topics in our own Defensive Handgun series, and quite frankly I like our stuff better!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •