• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bedford supervisors seek OK for employee concealed-carry in county buildings

Repeater

Would this include open carry as well? The article doesn't make that clear.

Bedford supervisors seek OK for employee concealed-carry in county buildings
Two Bedford County supervisors on Monday called for the county to allow permitted employees to carry concealed handguns at work.

Newly elected supervisor Tommy Scott requested the employee handbook be altered so employees with concealed weapon permits can carry on the job.

Currently, Bedford County employees are not allowed to carry concealed weapons at work, Scott said.

I think they should be able to carry if they so choose,” he said.

Interim County Administrator Carl Boggess said he would have to check with the county’s insurance company to see if carrying a firearm would increase premiums.

Supervisor Curry Martin voiced his support for Scott’s request.

The board agreed to take up the rule change at a future meeting.

Scott also requested the board draft a letter to Attorney General Mark Herring voicing its displeasure at his decision to stop recognizing concealed handgun permits from 25 states.

As for the insurance, if GSL is really true, then premiums should decrease.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If Virgina is anything like Ohio most municipalities insurance is through a state run pool. Basically self insured. Not all municipalities are in the pool. An open records request may answer the question.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm a bit conflicted on the question.

On the one hand, changing the policy might be a nice was to win a few more allies to the pro-gun side.

On the other hand, they're employees of an organization that forces itself on others, whether they consent or not. The libertarian in me says let 'em fend for themselves bare-handed; maybe a few of them will get the idea and abandon working for government.

Full Disclosure: I know and think very well of two different decent human beings hauled into Bedford County's system under coercion by the self-important, busy-bodies in that jurisdiction who think themselves gifted above men.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The stumbling block is the state's "Workplace Violence" policy in the human resources section of the Policies and Procedures Manual. While it is supposed to apply only to state employees most localities have adopted it whole hog as part of their HR protocol.

Allowing county employees with CHPs to carry in most county facilities will involve rewriting the entire county HR manual as well as strict attention to the provisions of certain parts of the Code of Virginia that identify no-go zones whether the locality would like for folks to carry there or not.

Why just concealed carry? Because in order to carry concealed you need a CHP and in order to get a CHP you have to submit to a "reasonable" background check. Even if you have a CHP you will not be allowed to OC for fear that it will cause the horses to faint and the women to stampede.

stay sasfe.

paramedic70002

Good luck to them. The issue could be more complex than face value in other ways.

For instance, suppose that Generic County allows it's employees to CC. But the career staff that work at the local EMS agency (which has no agency policy against CC) are contracted from a large health care system that absolutely bans gun possession while on the clock, even off the clock on company property, which they consider any property they staff. So even if said EMS providers also volunteer when off the clock, they are still barred form CCing. Such is the situation where I work.

OC for ME

Good luck to them. The issue could be more complex than face value in other ways.

For instance, suppose that Generic County allows it's employees to CC. But the career staff that work at the local EMS agency (which has no agency policy against CC) are contracted from a large health care system that absolutely bans gun possession while on the clock, even off the clock on company property, which they consider any property they staff. So even if said EMS providers also volunteer when off the clock, they are still barred form CCing. Such is the situation where I work.
State bureaucrats could nudge the hired HMO to fall in-line with state law.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
State bureaucrats could nudge the hired HMO to fall in-line with state law.

Wanna bet? Do you even wanna bet they would have any interest?

And FYI, the "hired HMO" seems, per the brief description given, to be in full compliance with state law. You know, the state law that requires them to meet and maintain certification. (Go search JCOHC)

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Places that say "you can't do this due to insurance reasons" I toss them a nickle and say "This should cover it, Slick."

So you are "bragging" that you intentionally violate the rights of private property owners?

Is it too much to ask for some concrete examples of your behavior? Without that, this is all bluster.

stay safe.