Thread: Pro-gun lobbyists gave more than double to political campaigns versus gun grabbers

Pro-gun lobbyists gave more than double to political campaigns versus gun grabbers

In the midst of a national debate rekindled by a wave of gun violence in recent months, data maintained by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics suggests that organizations advocating on behalf of gun rights gave more than double to politicians ahead of the 2014 election compared to the the donations made by anti-gun groups during the same span.

Gun safety groups including the Independence USA PAC backed by billionaire politician Michael Bloomberg and Americans for Responsible Solutions founded by former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Arizona Democrat, spent around $13.8 million on the 2014 campaign, CNHI reported on Wednesday. With the National Rifle Association having contributed $31 million during that same cycle, however, proponents of firearm safety saw their lobbying efforts greatly outmatched by Second Amendment advocacy groups opposed to new gun laws.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...le-to-politic/

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/news...adf6fd601.html

Rather than buy expensive politicians, the anti-gun groups pick the democratic low hanging fruits.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Don't use "gun violence" as a phrase ... no such thing really.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Don't use "gun violence" as a phrase ... no such thing really.
    Forget gun violence, I'm concerned with "Car violence". Remember the Vegas strip, these assault cars with these hi-capacity fuel tanks need to banned NOW!. Don't forget the car show loophole, no background check when purchasing these assault vehicles. What is wrong with these car loving nut jobs, makes em feel like their a big man or maybe compensating for you know what.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    In the midst of a national debate rekindled by a wave of gun violence in recent months, data maintained by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics suggests that organizations advocating on behalf of gun rights gave more than double to politicians ahead of the 2014 election compared to the the donations made by anti-gun groups during the same span.
    I'm skeptical of the numbers for two reasons.

1-I wonder whether the numbers include money spent influencing public perception but not spent directly in support of any person's campaign. Do the reported numbers include the money spent by Bloomberg's various shell groups on citizen initiatives? What about money spent on lawsuits against law abiding gun dealers or manufacturers? What is the collar value of the biased manner in which the media reports on guns? Notice this very article refers to gun grabbers mostly as "gun safety groups" rather than as "anti-self-defense organizations". Whatever issues I may have with the NRA's political stances over the years, it remains the largest, oldest "gun safety organization" in the nation, maybe the world. What of the thousand-and-one community organizations getting taxpayer funded grants that propagate anti-gun rhetoric along with other left-wing dogma?

2-The numbers almost certainly do not include money spent by organizations that are not overtly dedicated to attacking our RKBA, but who include such assaults as secondary goals and who donate the bulk of their money to politicians who attack our rights. Here in Utah, for example, I'll bet the local Brady Bunch affiliates can't raise $1000 in a year to donate. But the generally anti-RKBA teachers' union is one of the largest political contributors in the State. It donates massively in legislative elections where $3000 can make a huge difference. How much do various medical and legal associations contribute to campaigns each cycle and how many of those organizations are not at least somewhat anti-RKBA?

I note that in many places, all employees in certain fields are required to contribute to union coffers, whether they want to join the union or not. All public school teachers in California fall into this category. In some places, they actually have to join the union. In others, they are free not to join, but must still support collective bargaining efforts. While non union members technically don't have to pay the portion of dues that goes toward political activism, their mandatory support of collective bargaining certainly helps cover the very existence of the anti-gun union.

The report is not much more than political fodder for those who want to argue that the "gun lobby" is somehow buying elections. Unlike the other side that is financed largely by a small number of wealthy meddlers and mandatory union dues, our side has the money and power it does only because of the very large number of regular folks who voluntarily contribute money to organizations whose goals they support.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.