Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Open-Carry Gun Owner Videotapes Police Requesting His Permit Inside Connecticut Store

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Open-Carry Gun Owner Videotapes Police Requesting His Permit Inside Connecticut Store

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...of-his-answer/

    In Bridgeport, no less. Basically tells the cops to piss off and stop bothering him. And they essentially do.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=667_1452648888

    He should have simply said : I do not consent to any encounter

    Then any further queries would have been a detainment/seizure IMO

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montgomery County, PA
    Posts
    27
    I am confused. Don't you need a CT carry permit to open carry? Wouldn't he then be obligated to show his permit when asked?

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I am confused. Don't you need a CT carry permit to open carry? Wouldn't he then be obligated to show his permit when asked?
    Yes and No.

    Cops cannot just pull you over to see your driver's license. No difference here.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Don't you need a CT carry permit to open carry? Wouldn't he then be obligated to show his permit when asked?
    Just because you're seen driving a car on a public roadway, unless you're stopped for a legitimate traffic stop, only then are you required to show your license. Yes, you need a driver's license to drive a car on a public roadway, but just because you're doing so isn't a valid reason for the police to stop you just to see if you're licensed.

    The same applies to open carry of a firearm, even if you're required to have a license in order to legally do so.

    Did the police officer have a probable cause or reasonable articulable suspicion that the carrier in question did not have a license? Or was prohibited from possessing a firearm? If not, the police officer had no justification to detain the individual.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I am confused. Don't you need a CT carry permit to open carry? Wouldn't he then be obligated to show his permit when asked?
    The court says no.

    https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0140.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Very nice find and with specificity to CT as well; no one's going to say, "well that's how they do it in that state, not here."

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montgomery County, PA
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That is exactly the response I was looking for. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Beware of taking these reports as having much value...in this case its correct....OCing is not RAS...there is no stop & show me your permit law in CT (although I expect to see a bill of this nature this year, leg. session begun in Jan, goes through june)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12
    Why wouldn't you just show the officer your permit and then move on with your day? As licensed gun owners we are supposed to be part of the good guy crew. If an officer of the law asks to see your permit show him you dam permit and some respect, they are out there risking their lives for us. I see no reason to fight with good men and woman who try to protect us. Just because the law says you don't have to show your permit doesn't mean you should act like an ass when a police officer approaches you and asks respectfully to just look at your ID. Behaving like this gives gun owners a bad name in my opinion and feeds the left wing nutters.

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Why wouldn't you just show the officer your permit and then move on with your day? As licensed gun owners we are supposed to be part of the good guy crew. If an officer of the law asks to see your permit show him you dam permit and some respect, they are out there risking their lives for us. I see no reason to fight with good men and woman who try to protect us. Just because the law says you don't have to show your permit doesn't mean you should act like an ass when a police officer approaches you and asks respectfully to just look at your ID. Behaving like this gives gun owners a bad name in my opinion and feeds the left wing nutters.
    I can see your point, now would you post proof that you are a US citizen, and not a felon? I would feel much better listening to your advice if you proved you were here legally, and not a criminal.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12
    Totally different. Come on use some common sense. You are walking around with a pistol on your hip for everyone to see. (why I don't know as it puts you at a tactical disadvantage but that's another topic) I understand it is perfectly legal but more than likely that guy was one of 3 guys at BEST OCing that day in Bridgeport. Point is that while yes its legal you are still doing something that almost no one does in these parts. So a uniformed police officer says hey man can I see your permit the response shouldn't be I don't have to show you ****. The response should be oh sure officer here you go I understand I am doing something that's a bit uncommon around here and I know I am doing nothing wrong so here is my permit and here is my foot long and here I go on my merry way. I just don't understand why law abiding citizens want to fight with the police, they are there to help us and should be treated with respect. Now if after showing your permit the police continue to harass you about OCing than that is something totally different and definitely something to argue about, but I would hope and expect that not to be the case.
    Last edited by jjw; 01-15-2016 at 01:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153

    Oh, no ... not again!

    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Point is that while yes its legal you are still doing something that almost no one does in these parts.
    The OCDO raison d'être is to normalize the open carry of handguns.

    Oh, no ... not again! I'll be back with the image ... 3 2 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5a.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	12926  
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-15-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    Come on use some common sense. You are walking around with a pistol on your hip for everyone to see. (why I don't know as it puts you at a tactical disadvantage but that's another topic)
    Common sense????? Dud, what have you been smoke'n?????????

    Is it every 6 months we go through this?

    The sky is falling.
    Last edited by color of law; 01-15-2016 at 01:39 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Totally different. Come on use some common sense. You are walking around with a pistol on your hip for everyone to see. (why I don't know as it puts you at a tactical disadvantage but that's another topic) I understand it is perfectly legal but more than likely that guy was one of 3 guys at BEST OCing that day in Bridgeport. Point is that while yes its legal you are still doing something that almost no one does in these parts. So a uniformed police officer says hey man can I see your permit the response shouldn't be I don't have to show you ****. The response should be oh sure officer here you go I understand I am doing something that's a bit uncommon around here and I know I am doing nothing wrong so here is my permit and here is my foot long and here I go on my merry way. I just don't understand why law abiding citizens want to fight with the police, they are there to help us and should be treated with respect.
    No different than walking around with a bible, newspaper, or a "Feel the Bern" t-shirt..

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12
    OC all you want but if a uniformed officer asks to see your ID just freaking show it to him and move on. What did that guy accomplish that day? He got in an argument with a couple of hard working officers from Bridgeport, the restaurant opted not to serve him which by the way is also legal, and he ended up having eat at Dunkin Doughnuts for lunch. Yeah he really showed them..... Look I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone here, I am a licensed carrier and I carry concealed (because I want too) daily. I'm just saying just because the law says you can OC doesn't mean you should give the people who are tasked with enforcing the laws a hard time about it. Thats my .02 good luck to all you OC guys I hope you get what your guys are looking for, and personally I think you will get there quicker by treating officers with respect during this "transition to normalcy period" as opposed to fighting them on it.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    OC all you want but if a uniformed officer asks to see your ID just freaking show it to him and move on. What did that guy accomplish that day? He got in an argument with a couple of hard working officers from Bridgeport, the restaurant opted not to serve him which by the way is also legal, and he ended up having eat at Dunkin Doughnuts for lunch. Yeah he really showed them..... Look I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone here, I am a licensed carrier and I carry concealed (because I want too) daily. I'm just saying just because the law says you can OC doesn't mean you should give the people who are tasked with enforcing the laws a hard time about it. Thats my .02 good luck to all you OC guys I hope you get what your guys are looking for, and personally I think you will get there quicker by treating officers with respect during this "transition to normalcy period" as opposed to fighting them on it.
    So, when can I come over to go through all your Drawers and Cupboards?

  18. #18
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,872
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Totally different. Come on use some common sense. You are walking around with a pistol on your hip for everyone to see. (why I don't know as it puts you at a tactical disadvantage but that's another topic) I understand it is perfectly legal but more than likely that guy was one of 3 guys at BEST OCing that day in Bridgeport. Point is that while yes its legal you are still doing something that almost no one does in these parts. So a uniformed police officer says hey man can I see your permit the response shouldn't be I don't have to show you ****. The response should be oh sure officer here you go I understand I am doing something that's a bit uncommon around here and I know I am doing nothing wrong so here is my permit and here is my foot long and here I go on my merry way. I just don't understand why law abiding citizens want to fight with the police, they are there to help us and should be treated with respect. Now if after showing your permit the police continue to harass you about OCing than that is something totally different and definitely something to argue about, but I would hope and expect that not to be the case.
    sorry you have already capitulated by acknowledging the stop by the nice LE who has absolutely no RAS...continuance of the harassment is now part of the same conversation therefore, not something totally different...

    may i help you officer? & am i free to go? should be your only comments!!

    anything else is playing into the nice officer's game!!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Just imagine the vituperation if we weren't prohibited bashing cops. Maybe they shouldn't bash us, literally and figuratively.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    So, when can I come over to go through all your Drawers and Cupboards?
    Common sense again seems to allude you my friend. You have a gun on your hip and you are not a police officer, a gun is different than a bible, or a news paper. However if you are wearing a feel the Bern t shirt I think that is grounds for harassment. Why fight the police on something that can just be resolved by being a good guy and showing your permit!? They wanted to see his permit. They didn't want to pat him down or search his car, they just wanted to see his permit. In CT in this day and age it is very unusual to see anyone OCing. (At least in south western CT) So to me its just common sense your are a law abiding citizen well within your rights to open carry (even though very few do and I think that is important to note) so a uniformed officer wants to make sure you have a permit because you are the only guy in town walking around with a pistol on your hip just show him the permit and move on. Challenging the officers like that guy did only makes all of us look reckless even though we are acting within accordance of the law. I guarantee you that their wasn't one person in that Subway who wasn't happy to see that guy and his gun leave the store after that encounter. However their was the opportunity to show those other people that yeah I am OCing and that might be weird to you but when an officer asks for my permit I show it to him and he gives it back to me and tells me to have a nice day, that can change peoples minds about the entire situation. However when he carries on like he did it reinforces the stereotype of crazy gun owners.

  21. #21
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Totally different. Come on use some common sense. You are walking around with a pistol on your hip for everyone to see. (why I don't know as it puts you at a tactical disadvantage but that's another topic) I understand it is perfectly legal but more than likely that guy was one of 3 guys at BEST OCing that day in Bridgeport. Point is that while yes its legal you are still doing something that almost no one does in these parts. So a uniformed police officer says hey man can I see your permit the response shouldn't be I don't have to show you ****. The response should be oh sure officer here you go I understand I am doing something that's a bit uncommon around here and I know I am doing nothing wrong so here is my permit and here is my foot long and here I go on my merry way. I just don't understand why law abiding citizens want to fight with the police, they are there to help us and should be treated with respect. Now if after showing your permit the police continue to harass you about OCing than that is something totally different and definitely something to argue about, but I would hope and expect that not to be the case.
    Until you prove who you are, and if you are legal, your opinions mean jack, IMO. I will not even read what you post.

    Shun~icky!
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-15-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Common sense again seems to allude you my friend. You have a gun on your hip and you are not a police officer, a gun is different than a bible, or a news paper. However if you are wearing a feel the Bern t shirt I think that is grounds for harassment. Why fight the police on something that can just be resolved by being a good guy and showing your permit!? They wanted to see his permit. They didn't want to pat him down or search his car, they just wanted to see his permit. In CT in this day and age it is very unusual to see anyone OCing. (At least in south western CT) So to me its just common sense your are a law abiding citizen well within your rights to open carry (even though very few do and I think that is important to note) so a uniformed officer wants to make sure you have a permit because you are the only guy in town walking around with a pistol on your hip just show him the permit and move on. Challenging the officers like that guy did only makes all of us look reckless even though we are acting within accordance of the law. I guarantee you that their wasn't one person in that Subway who wasn't happy to see that guy and his gun leave the store after that encounter. However their was the opportunity to show those other people that yeah I am OCing and that might be weird to you but when an officer asks for my permit I show it to him and he gives it back to me and tells me to have a nice day, that can change peoples minds about the entire situation. However when he carries on like he did it reinforces the stereotype of crazy gun owners.
    A cop comes up to me and starts hassling me for carry I assume his intention is hostile (as it is just by approaching me~ I have no contact orders already in place for most of the LEOs that I would expect may wish to interact with me); I would order him to leave me alone and/or get his information in preparation for a civil suit.

    I don't care how I LOOK or make people FEEL. I don't care about their feelings ~ its something I cannot control as it is a state of mind.

    There is no requirement that a gun owner be "responsible", whatever that means. I tell antis I am totally irresponsible with my firearms and they go into a tizzy fit.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Until you prove who you are, and if you are legal, your opinions mean jack, IMO. I will not even read what you post.

    Shun~icky!
    No problem Mr Wolf, I truly am not trying to change anyone's mind here. That video just got me hot because I thought the guy who recorded it was a true dick head to use one of his expressions.
    Last edited by jjw; 01-15-2016 at 02:20 PM.

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    Totally different. Come on use some common sense. You are walking around with a pistol on your hip for everyone to see. (why I don't know as it puts you at a tactical disadvantage but that's another topic) I understand it is perfectly legal but more than likely that guy was one of 3 guys at BEST OCing that day in Bridgeport. Point is that while yes its legal you are still doing something that almost no one does in these parts. So a uniformed police officer says hey man can I see your permit the response shouldn't be I don't have to show you ****. The response should be oh sure officer here you go I understand I am doing something that's a bit uncommon around here and I know I am doing nothing wrong so here is my permit and here is my foot long and here I go on my merry way. I just don't understand why law abiding citizens want to fight with the police, they are there to help us and should be treated with respect. Now if after showing your permit the police continue to harass you about OCing than that is something totally different and definitely something to argue about, but I would hope and expect that not to be the case.
    "Uncommon" is not illegal. Color of law is at the very least harassment, but the police are allowed to lie when fishing.

    Without response and continuing on my way, "Have a nice day officer." Been there, done that.

    While Iam reasonably sure hope it is not your intention, you provide material for restricting our rights and imposing restrictions on OC.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-15-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    No problem Mr Wolf, I truly am not trying to change anyone's mind here. That video just got me hot because I thought the guy who recorded it was a true dick head to use on of his expressions.
    And the officers were jack wads, the difference is the jack wads work for us, not the other way around. As a former LEO officers in the video make me ashamed of the profession. They should not be allowed on the streets let alone allowed to carry a gun. I treat jack wads with the same respect I treat internet trolls.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-15-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •