Thread: Why We Snap: From Road Rage to Barroom Brawls

Why We Snap: From Road Rage to Barroom Brawls

Most violent behavior, Fields discovered, results from a clash between our evolutionary hardwiring and our modern world. To put it bluntly: Our rage circuit wasn’t designed for daily commutes on crowded highways or the deluge of social media affecting our relationships. Through his research, Fields outlines the nine primary triggers of the human rage circuit and puts them into the handy mnemonic LIFEMORTS: Life-or-death situation, Insult, Family, Environment, Mate, Order in society, Resources, Tribe and Stopped (being restrained or cornered).
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr...arroom-brawls/

A comment there, good advise from my friend and the smartest man that I know.

If you leave your enemy intact, you have an intact enemy. If you leave your enemy's belief system intact, you have second generation enemy. War does not decide who is right. War decides who is left. Support evolution - shoot back.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-14-2016 at 07:16 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Pencil neck...bush league psych-out stuff...as soon as I read "social media" I surmised his need to get a paycheck. Dude need to be evaluated for anger issues if he "snaps" over mere property...his wallet.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Addressing the messenger rather than the message is the very definition of ad homina.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Addressing the messenger rather than the message is the very definition of ad homina.
    I routinely address liberals and not their message because their message is based on a false premise and does not merit recognition in any way shape or form. Is this too "the very definition of ad homina?"

How about this, ask a shrink buddy if he has a 100% money back guarantee if his "advice" does not work. Or, will you need to turn to a civil claim to gain a redress.

A surgeon works on the wrong knee, easy. With a shrink it is not so cut and dried.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/...hiatrists.html
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+mental+health

Discover Magazine long ago stopped being a periodical devoted to science. Contributors are suspect at a minimum.

Everything is political.

So, am I being too harsh on Mr. Carl Engelking? Perhaps.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    [ ... ] So, am I being too harsh on Mr. Carl Engelking? Perhaps.
    I doubt he attends the same parochial choir that we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I doubt he attends the same parochial choir that we do.
    Agreed, he seems to have been a, maybe is, a valued contributor to the Huffing and Pugginton Post.