• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2016 Legislative Tracking Tool

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just posted - VCDL's 2016 Legislative Tracking Tool.

Please study this and contact your legislators and the appropriate committees - links provided.

Notable inclusions: Constitutional Carry, state agency preemption, reciprocity repair, redefining brandishing, and lots more.

There are some really bad bills too, i.e. no guns in GAB, registration, etc. - they also need your input/action.

http://www2.vcdl.org/webapps/vcdl/2016leg.html

If you're not mad yet, what will it take? I can provide.

Last edited:

FBrinson

Some bills supported by VCDL that are IMHO not good bills:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB804 : Reporting lost or stolen firearms.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB593 : P4P mostly. Invalidating executive order from the Governor is good, though.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB560 : Adds another layer to the brandishing law but doesn't fix the fact that the brandishing law is just bad law and needs to go away.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB382 : Would allow for state agency employees to lock their guns in the parking lot of their place of employment. Sorry all you private sector employees. You just are not important enough.

Most of the other "Strongly supported" bills look pretty good at first reading. The four I linked have some serious flaws or are outright P4P bills.

I don't have enough keys on my keyboard to type up comments on all of the anti-gun bills that are being introduced this year

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB804 : Reporting lost or stolen firearms.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB593 : P4P mostly. Invalidating executive order from the is good, though.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB560 : Adds another layer to the brandishing law but doesn't fix the fact that the brandishing law is just bad law and needs to go away.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB382 : Would allow for state agency employees to lock their guns in the parking lot of their place of employment. Sorry all you private sector employees. You just are not important enough.

Most of the other "Strongly supported" bills look pretty good at first reading. The four I linked have some serious flaws or are outright P4P bills.

I don't have enough keys on my keyboard to type up comments on all of the anti-gun bills that are being introduced this year
That is exactly why input from all is so very important.

BTW - have no idea why you are still tagged as a "newbie." Remind me after the dust settles on Lobby Day and will get that fixed.

Tosta Dojen

I don't see a listing there for SJ33:

[...]WHEREAS, the African Methodist Episcopal Church supports implementation of stricter gun control; one in three people in the United States know someone who has been shot; on average, 31 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 151 are treated for a gun assault in an emergency room; every day, on average, 55 people kill themselves with a firearm, and 46 people are shot or killed in an accident with a gun; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the Senate, the House of Delegates concurring, That the General Assembly hereby commend the African Methodist Episcopal Church for its years of ministry and service to the Commonwealth and the nation[...]​

Should the General Assembly be commending the African Methodist Episcopal Church for its support of stricter gun control? I don't think it should.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't see a listing there for SJ33:
[...]WHEREAS, the African Methodist Episcopal Church supports implementation of stricter gun control; one in three people in the United States know someone who has been shot; on average, 31 Americans are murdered with guns every day and 151 are treated for a gun assault in an emergency room; every day, on average, 55 people kill themselves with a firearm, and 46 people are shot or killed in an accident with a gun; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the Senate, the House of Delegates concurring, That the General Assembly hereby commend the African Methodist Episcopal Church for its years of ministry and service to the Commonwealth and the nation[...]​

Should the General Assembly be commending the African Methodist Episcopal Church for its support of stricter gun control? I don't think it should.
You don't see it listed because it is not a bill, but a proposed joint resolution.

Tosta Dojen

It's also a little inconsistent that HB332, which exempts judges from the concealed weapon statute, is "Oppose", while SB198, which does the same thing for retired DOC investigators, is "Neutral". Is there an obvious reason for that that I'm overlooking?

It's also worth noting that contrary to what's indicated in the former bill's summary, a judge would be exempt from the concealed weapon statute in its entirety, not just the bits pertaining to a concealed handgun. He could carry a concealed shuriken or spring stick if he wanted to.

Tosta Dojen

You don't see it listed because it is not a bill, but a proposed joint resolution.

I actually think that makes it more important to voice opposition. A lot of these resolutions commending the life or work of wossname get run through without anyone really paying attention. I don't want the General Assembly to commend the African Episcopal Methodist Church because of its support of stricter gun control, and I could easily imagine our representatives overlooking the bit about why the church is being commended.

paramedic70002

Just posted - VCDL's 2016 Legislative Tracking Tool.

Please study this and contact your legislators and the appropriate committees - links provided.

Notable inclusions: Constitutional Carry, state agency preemption, reciprocity repair, redefining brandishing, and lots more.

There are some really bad bills too, i.e. no guns in GAB, registration, etc. - they also need your input/action.

http://www2.vcdl.org/webapps/vcdl/2016leg.html

If you're not mad yet, what will it take? I can provide.

[h=1]This webpage is not available[/h]DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

VCDL President

Centurion

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+sum+HB593 : P4P mostly. Invalidating executive order from the Governor is good, though.

The first bill is going to be fixed by Lingamfelter so there is NO penalty, only benefit, hence the support.

State Employees are a niche we can help more easily than the private sector because we are an Right to Work state. Private sector will take a whole different approach, as even if we say they can't fire you, they can fire you for another "reason." It will have to be a pure carrot approach which we will try at some point. (We tried about 6 years ago and failed.)

FBrinson

Thanks for the reply.

The first bill is going to be fixed by Lingamfelter so there is NO penalty, only benefit, hence the support.

Excellent

State Employees are a niche we can help more easily than the private sector because we are an Right to Work state. Private sector will take a whole different approach, as even if we say they can't fire you, they can fire you for another "reason." It will have to be a pure carrot approach which we will try at some point. (We tried about 6 years ago and failed.)

Even though Virginia is an At Will employment state I think the fight is worth fighting for protections of gun owners. I'm hesitant to support bills that only offer protections for 'certain' people.

Thundar

VCDL - P4P or Gun Rights? -

My quick count says they were exactly split 19 P4P and 19 Gun Rights. The result is, however, a lot better than that. Actually there are little things that annoy me, but the agenda sure isn't something I could bitch about. Maybe I will even rejoin VCDL.

Very, very happy to see the real issues of Constitutional Carry and Agency Preemption come to life. Maybe these won't become law this year, but when McAwful is out, maybe we will get an executive that will sign good gun friendly laws.

This agenda deserves three dancing bananas:banana::banana::banana:

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My quick count says they were exactly split 19 P4P and 19 Gun Rights. The result is, however, a lot better than that. Actually there are little things that annoy me, but the agenda sure isn't something I could bitch about. Maybe I will even rejoin VCDL.

Very, very happy to see the real issues of Constitutional Carry and Agency Preemption come to life. Maybe these won't become law this year, but when McAwful is out, maybe we will get an executive that will sign good gun friendly laws.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar
What have you done with the real Thundar? We demand his immediate release! :)

VCDL President

Centurion
Thanks for the reply.

Excellent

Even though Virginia is an At Will employment state I think the fight is worth fighting for protections of gun owners. I'm hesitant to support bills that only offer protections for 'certain' people.

Step at a time. We will have to fix private employment with a carrot and not a stick approach.

VCDL President

Centurion

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Constitutional Carry bill cleared Senate committee Wednesday and is headed to the Senate Floor. VCDL will be activating an email campaign on Friday most likely.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Legislative Update 1/27/16 TURNOUT REQUESTED for Thursday, 1/28.

Tomorrow a host of gun bills, mostly anti-freedom, will be heard in Militia, Police, and Public Safety subcommittee #1 in 8th Floor West conference room in the General Assembly building at 4 PM. If you can attend, please do so to ensure a strong presence as the other side will be out in force. Arrive early to insure a seat. (Carry is allowed with a CHP.)

Following anti-freedom bills will be heard:

HB128 Hope Weapons; possession prohibited in state legislative buildings, penalty.

HB149 Simon Concealed handgun permits; individuals on federal Terrorist Screening Database.

HB422 Murphy Firearms businesses; local regulation of dealers in proximity of schools.

HB423 Simon Firearms; possession in school zone, penalty.

HB424 Simon Firearms; possession in school zone; regulation by locality.

HB425 Simon Firearms; prohibits person in Terrorist Screening Database to purchase, etc.

HB482 Kory Transfer of firearms; criminal history record information check; penalties.

HB599 Plum Transfer of firearms; criminal history record information check; penalties.

HB617 Bell, John J. Concealed handgun permit; demonstration of competence.

HB632 Bell, John J. Transfer of firearms; criminal history record information check, penalties.

HB658 Filler-Corn Protective orders; possession of firearms; penalty.

HB979 Lopez Firearms; buyers or transferee, criminal history record check delay.

HB980 Lopez Transfer of handguns; permit required, penalties.

HB981 Lopez Concealed handgun permit; eliminates proof of competence.

HB982 Lopez Firearm or pneumatic gun; allowing access by children age four or younger, penalty.

HB983 Lopez Firearms magazines, certain; prohibition of sale, transfer, etc., prohibited, penalty.

HB1000 Levine Online firearm sale; criminal history record information check, penalties.

HB1001 Levine Terrorist Screening Database; check of Database required prior to purchasing firearm from dealer.

HB1025 Sickles Firearms; removal from persons posing substantial risk, penalties.

HB1049 Rasoul Firearms show; list of vendors or exhibitors submitted to State Police.

HB1106 Murphy Firearms; possession or transportation following certain convictions.

HB1109 Murphy Concealed handgun permit; application; disqualification.

HB1199 Kory School resource officers; possession of firearms and other weapons; penalty.

HB1313 Simon Concealed handguns; protective orders, surrender of firearms, penalty.

HB1339 Price Localities; regulation of firearms in government buildings.

Following pro-freedom bill will be heard:

HB1055 Pillion Foster care homes; firearm storage on premises.(IF language is removed restricting carry at at foster home by an adult)

http://www.listbox.com/member/archi...7182407:0E08F8A6-C54D-11E5-989E-79EBF010038B/

FBrinson

Legislative Update 1/27/16 TURNOUT REQUESTED for Thursday, 1/28.

Tomorrow a host of gun bills, mostly anti-freedom, will be heard in Militia, Police, and Public Safety subcommittee #1 in 8th Floor West conference room in the General Assembly building at 4 PM. If you can attend, please do so to ensure a strong presence as the other side will be out in force. Arrive early to insure a seat. (Carry is allowed with a CHP.)

Following anti-freedom bills will be heard:

</Yoinked!>

Just reading that list of anti-gun bills made me sick.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Better news -

Here’s what happened today:

SENATE FLOOR

SB 175, Senator Stuart’s bill to prohibit sharing CHP information with states that do not honor Virginia permits passed out of the Senate by a veto-proof 28 to 12 majority! (If there is an actual veto, though, there is no guarantee that the majority would hold up).

SB 48, Senator Black’s Constitutional Carry bill was passed by until tomorrow.

SENATE COURTS OF JUSTICE

Anti-freedom bills KILLED:

SB 97 One Handgun a Month

SB 138 No gun stores near a school

SB 156 Disgruntled spouse can deny a CHP

SB 184 10 round magazine limit

SB 214 No guns if on Terrorist Screening Database

SB 220 Universal Background Checks

SB 259 No ammo for person who is committed

SB 260 No CHP for person seeking help with addiction

SB 546 No CHP for certain MISDEMEANORS dead for the year

Anti-freedom bill that PASSED out of committee, but headed to Finance committee, where it will probably die

SB 300 New penalty for open carrier who is intoxicated

Pro-freedom bills PASSED and heading to the Senate Floor

SB 610 Recognized permits from all states (other similar Senate bills all rolled into this one, except Senator Hanger’s

Pro-freedom bills PASSED, but headed to Finance committee

SB 677 Removes requirement for Circuit Clerk Clerk to charge $10 for a CHP

SB 713 Reciprocity bill, but weaker than SB 610

Pro-freedom bill KILLED

SB 656 Provides firearms training for those who are victims of domestic violence

http://www.listbox.com/member/archi...8002028:D357EB7C-C57E-11E5-8B02-B2A8F010038B/