• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action Alert for Anti-Gun Bills in Legislative Hearing -- January

44Brent

E-mail from WASHINGTON STATE GUN OWNER ACTION ALERT

==========================================================

Next Thursday, January 21, is a “gun bill” day in the House Judiciary Committee, at the state capitol in Olympia at 1:30 P.M. in House Hearing Room A of the John L. O’Brien Building.

The bills gun owners must oppose include:

Ban on carrying guns for purposes self-defense on public property or parks 2460
Confiscation of firearms without due process 1857
Destruction of confiscated firearms without reason 2372
Jail time for not locking up all firearms 1747

Protect Our Gun Rights, Gun Owners Action League, and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms issues a recommendation AGAINST HB 1747, 1857, 2372 and 2460.

Please voice your SUPPORT for HB 2481, clarifying the current Short Barreled Rifle law.

You must sign in on the forms outside the hearing room to testify for or against bills. You may also sign in for or against without testifying.

If you are not available to appear at the hearing, then please click on each bill number linked below and click on the COMMENT ON THIS BILL feature to voice your opposition or support for the following bills:

HB 1747
“Safe Storage”
21 January
OPPOSE
House Judiciary
1:30 p.m. House Hearing Room A John L. O’Brien Office Bldg

HB 1857
“Extreme risk protection orders”
21 January
OPPOSE
House Judiciary

HB 2372
Destruction of firearms
21 January
OPPOSE
House Judiciary

HB 2460 (REPEALS STATEWIDE PREEMPTION)
Public Property and Parks Carry Ban
21 January
OPPOSE
House Judiciary

HB 2481
Clarifies the current legal Short Barreled Rifle Law
21 January
SUPPORT House Judiciary

***THIS IS NOT AN OPEN CARRY EVENT***

PLEASE DRESS NO LESS THAN BUSINESS CASUAL

Last edited:

44Brent

Points on the planned repeal of statewide pre-emption in Washington.

1) Not based on evidence that CPL holders have been shooting up public parks, buses, and other places.

2) Creates safe zones where jihadists can slaughter defenseless citizens, just as was done in San Bernadino and in Paris.

3) The State of Washington is already in violation of I-594 by refusing to accept "transfers" of pistols of citizens for safekeeping while the public is entering the legislative chambers at the State Capitol. Note that they have a bogus firearms prohibition sign posted on their legislative building that cites an irrelevant RCW. Are they going to set up "transfer" stations around parks for people to safely store their pistols?

Please show up for the hearing if possible and bring these points up repeatedly to show their hypocrisy, and inability to follow the laws that are already on the books.

Whitney

Getting started

Sometimes getting started is difficult. At the risk of getting raked over a bit I am sharing my comments, perhaps they may help get some gears turning for others.
~Whitney

As written this bill would create a patchwork of unmanageable laws unnecessarily entangling otherwise law abiding citizens. How is a citizen to know the restrictions imposed by the different municipalities they may be traveling through? Our state ferry system complicates this even further. The police who are charged with enforcing the law have previously stated they can’t possibly know each law and operate based on locally developed policy, thus leaving it up to the courts to sort out. This would create an unnecessary burden on our already understaffed courts.

The premise for this bill is noble the execution is terrible. In the event this order is granted ("ex-parte", without the knowledge of the person subjected to the order) it forces the person into forfeit of their rights and property without due process. Because a judge grants the order does not make it due process, and is egregious, particularly when it could bind your rights for a year or more at the whim of the court. The requirements delineated are subjective at best, aside from a firearm; the language does not clarify what a dangerous weapon is. Recently in the case of State vs Evans Justice Wiggins ruled a kitchen knife is not a weapon even if it were being used in self-defense. This bill only serves to further convolute. The Evans case does not deal with guns but further proves the premise of restrictions under any imaginable conditions.
This bill needs a lot of work before being considered.

This bill will only serve to destroy confiscated firearms without reason. The drafters clearly have no understanding of firearm laws or federal firearm regulation, to wit- "firearms illegal for any person to possess must be destroyed". What firearms are illegal for any person to possess? If I have the proper credentials and federal approval I may possess just about any firearm I want, including fully automatic firearms. It is highly unlikely I would find myself in a position where such firearms would be confiscated. Further, "Legal firearms may be retained by the local law enforcement agency for agency use, and all legal firearms that are not retained by the local law enforcement agency for agency use must be destroyed.
Who gets to decide what is legal or not.
Liberty and freedom are delicate, and a people only give them up once. It begins by allowing, much less advocating for, someone else’s cherished right to be eroded one concession at a time.

There are some problems with this bill, while the intention sounds reasonable it simply is not enforceable. Start with, how do you prove the premise to support prosecution? I don't think it is possible, as the burden is on the state and if it were possible to prove, the instance would be a case where negligence would be undeniable. Recall a few years ago where we witnessed a law enforcement officer loose his child because he left his duty weapon under the seat of his car and the child was able to get it. The resultant actions from this example prove the words in this bill mean nothing. It is absolutely TRAGIC that this happened he will continue to be punished every day for the rest of his life. You cannot legislate morality or personal responsibility and that is effectively what this bill attempts to do. I have an old musket on display in my home; if a "child" accesses it and causes personal injury I could be jailed. But.. a musket is not a firearm so I only further convolute.

This further clarifies the current law and empowers citizens. This bill makes current law congruent with federal statutes.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would just note that they cannot regulate our RKBA and any laws that they make regarding this subject are void and that you will not find anyone guilty as a jurist for any laws that violate any right.

Additionally you will not find anyone guilty regarding laws passed that violate the due process provisions of the 14th amendment and that their secret meetings that they hold discussing bills behind closed doors violate the 14th amendment ~ so as a jurist you would nullify all laws passed by the body as you believe that they consider all bills behind closed doors and that these public meetings are merely dog and pony shows.

After the 3 min or so where the buzzer buzzes your time up, they'll shut you down ... that's why tyrants do.

44Brent

I would just note that they cannot regulate our RKBA and any laws that they make regarding this subject are void and that you will not find anyone guilty as a jurist for any laws that violate any right..

David is making the mistake of assuming that the Federal and State constitutions are respected and honored by law makers. As evidence that he is mistaken, I submit for your consideration.

1) The entire body of Washington State laws contained in the RCWs.
2) The existence of jails and prisons.
3) The existence of prosecuting attorneys.

I plan to the legislative hearing to speak against at least one of these bills, as the ostrich-type approach of burying one's head in the sand is a proven failure.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I plan to (attend) the legislative hearing to speak against at least one of these bills, as the ostrich-type approach of burying one's head in the sand is a proven failure.

Citizenship is a Verb!! I guess it is time to go a'verbing. I will be traveling down I-5 to the meeting. Anyone choosing to share my transport should ask. I can carry a few extra guns.

davidmcbeth

Banned
David is making the mistake of assuming that the Federal and State constitutions are respected and honored by law makers. As evidence that he is mistaken, I submit for your consideration.

1) The entire body of Washington State laws contained in the RCWs.
2) The existence of jails and prisons.
3) The existence of prosecuting attorneys.

I plan to the legislative hearing to speak against at least one of these bills, as the ostrich-type approach of burying one's head in the sand is a proven failure.

I have not made any mistake .. I know that our rights are not honored ... however by advocating laws (other than laws to repeal laws) related to our RKBA (or any other right) you acknowledge that they CAN regulate that right (least that's how I see it).

--snipped by Mod redundant, repetitious, worn out comment--

Honor my rights or don't Mr. Guberment man...I don't care...I am more than willing to continue to exercise my rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpine

FYI for those attending check to see if the House has updated their check-in system to electronic, then, after signing up on the computer to speak for EACH BILL, stand in line outside the hearing room 2 hours before hand at least if the building is open.

If there is no computer check-in then go seek out the House stewards/ushers/security and ask them what procedures they will have for check-in and tell them you are concerned about people cutting in line at the last moment and things getting chaotic. Don't let the 594 hearings repeat!

Also, ask them about wearing pins/stickers. At 594 they forbade pro-gun people from wearing lapel stickers and pins but allowed anti-gun people to do so.

zaitz

Banned
I think that a rocket propelled grenade launcher is a firearm that is illegal for most of us to possess . . .

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Citizenship is a Verb!! I guess it is time to go a'verbing. I will be traveling down I-5 to the meeting. Anyone choosing to share my transport should ask. I can carry a few extra guns.

Don't need a ride, but look forward to seeing you again. I plan to get there by 1 pm.

Whitney

Bumpty bump

I will be coming down early (0830-0900) from North Kitsap / Jefferson county and going through Shelton on 101.

Does any one on that route need a ride?

Also, does any one know for sure if can I bring my laptop into the hearing room, during the hearing.

~Whitney

Alpine

Watched the testimony.

As usual total nonsense from the hoplophobes, the facts be damned.

Was particularly sickened to see the proponent of the preemption repeal bill talk about how communities should decide which rights people get to have... Absolutely shocking. Reminds me of the Mace video on youtube of Hillary supporters signing a petition to repeal the Bill of Rights because they think Hillary wants that...

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think that a rocket propelled grenade launcher is a firearm that is illegal for most of us to possess . . .

Well, almost anyone can buy one of those. I don't know why you would want to lose your grenade launcher via rocketing it out there but hey, you may own stock in the company that produces them.

mikeyb

Rosemary sent me an email.

1747 didn't make it out of committee this year. That's the "For the Children" safe storage bill.