Thread: Foster parents canít lawfully carry guns in Oklahoma around their foster children

Foster parents canít lawfully carry guns in Oklahoma around their foster children

If you want to be a foster parent in Oklahoma, or to be a prospective adoptive parent, you need to sign a ďWeapon Safety Agreement,Ē which provides: ...
    [ .. ]
    Stephen and Krista Pursley, who have fostered 34 children in Oklahoma are suing (with the help of the Second Amendment Foundation). They argue (among other things that) this violates the Second Amendment. They argue it violates the Oklahoma Constitution, which provides, ...
    [ ... ]
    By the way, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation people tell me there are 239,490 concealed carry permits in Oklahoma; since I suspect that most people have at most one permit per household, letís say thatís about 180,000 households. The census reports that there are about 1,450,000 households in Oklahoma, so about 1/8 of all households have someone with a concealed carry permit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...yAgreement.pdf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...yComplaint.pdf

http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cg...1-1289.24.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-in-oklahoma-
    around-their-foster-children/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

State Researcher
    Utah's child welfare agency (and what an oxymoron that term is in most cases) tried this a few years ago and found they were in violation of State Preemption. They had no choice but to relent. They now go no farther than to require that guns be kept locked up if not actually being carried.

While one might suppose that rules against having guns in the home are based on sincere safety concerns, I have to wonder how much they are also (or instead) based on some rather ugly--if un-admitted--bigotries against gun owners. Does the Oklahoma child welfare agency ban alcohol inside foster homes? Does it ban those who might be on some kind of pain medication from being foster parents? What about homes with swimming pools? Or motorcycles? Do they actually require that kitchen knives or household chemicals be kept locked up?

Lots of household items pose a much higher risk to the safety of adolescents and children than do firearms.

I suspect that in most cases, these types of rules about guns have far more to do with "those kind of people" being entrusted with children, than with any real safety issues.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Banned
    Safety, smafty .... I don't even build guns with safeties ...

I don't know if any intentional death attempts, and likely little if any, were actually prevented via a safety.

As far as storage goes .. you should store them as you see fit.

How can you teach your kids gun safety w/o a gun? duh

It's for the kids people

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
    It's for the kids people
    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Won't someone think of the children!
    Considering most of the birth parents I have met, I'm more inclined to carry than not

As someone who has been... let us say, close to the issue... I have two statements about interaction with DHS.

First of all the only thing close I remember reading is that daycare regulations require that firearms and ammo be locked separately, but my wife and I talked about this news story, and we do not remember ever seeing or signing any form similar to this. Maybe it is supposed to be applied statewide but I would be interested to know how many offices do or don't actually included it with the foster parent contracts.

Secondly, we have unfortunately had various DHS employees in and out of our home for years (family's worker, child's lawyer, child's worker etc. All different people with roughly "monthly" visits, and there may be 2 people turnover in the worker positions annually.) Certainly many have had occasion to see me arriving or leaving while carrying. Right now I only remember my wife telling me she saw them noticing once or twice. Too many liberals in social services of course to be open about it. No formal question, notices, documentation, etc. Too much paperwork maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    Utah's child welfare agency (and what an oxymoron that term is in most cases) tried this a few years ago and found they were in violation of State Preemption. They had no choice but to relent. They now go no farther than to require that guns be kept locked up if not actually being carried.

While one might suppose that rules against having guns in the home are based on sincere safety concerns, I have to wonder how much they are also (or instead) based on some rather ugly--if un-admitted--bigotries against gun owners. Does the Oklahoma child welfare agency ban alcohol inside foster homes? Does it ban those who might be on some kind of pain medication from being foster parents? What about homes with swimming pools? Or motorcycles? Do they actually require that kitchen knives or household chemicals be kept locked up?

Lots of household items pose a much higher risk to the safety of adolescents and children than do firearms.

I suspect that in most cases, these types of rules about guns have far more to do with "those kind of people" being entrusted with children, than with any real safety issues.

Charles
    Excellent points! However, and there is always a however...

I firmly believe it is the near dictatorial rule that a DCPS has over any citizen who responsibly raises/cares for kids. The complete lack of any questioning/skepticism by LE and the "justice system" that enables the dictatorial mindset that permeates a DCPS. In fact, cops will likely refuse to believe their own eyes when they are called upon to do the bidding of a DCPS goon.

skidmark is a fountain of knowledge on this topic.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare