• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

does anyone believe in the right to bear knives?

zaitz

Banned
does anyone who posts here believe in the right to bear knives?

because I have read the decision in seattle & Evans and it seem to me as if the decision says that dirk knives are protected.

"The Connecticut Supreme Court persuasively holds that dirk knives satisfy these criteria and are constitutionally protected arms."
page 17, line 5

Thanks!

z

zaitz

Banned
Define knife. Do you mean edged weapons in general or something Bowie sized and smaller?

a knife is something with a sharp edge used for cutting something.

A dirk knife is another word for dagger. As used in the courts, it is something with one or two sharp edges which come to a point and which was designed for stabbing.

z

Fallschirjmäger

Was about to post, then looked up and saw this was a Washington sub-forum.

So my completely off topic reply...
In Georgia? Certainly, knives, dirks, daggers, butterfly knives, Bowie knives, fencing foils, sabers, cutlasses, Claymores. All legal with the proviso that anything 5" and over requires a weapons permit.

Back to you, Washingtonians

Maverick9

I've changed my carry recently in favor of a fixed knife that's very small.

To make up for it I put a brick in my purse (ok, technically my gf's purse - she doesn't know it, yet). I equanimitous about it since I'm frequently carrying it or on charge of it.

It just takes too darn long to get a folder into play, in comparison to the half second for a fixed.

I also carry my folder, and if push comes to shove, I'll use it like a fist load and smack some BG with it first. Less messy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MAC702 Knives = edged arms.
They regulate the sharpness of the edge?
No reference was made as to the sharpness - only that they are edged.

Some states do regulate knives with more than one cutting edge. That is a two edged problem. :p
Cite not provided.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
does anyone who posts here believe in the right to bear knives?

Sure. If I were to agree that knives were not a right and could thus be regulated or denied, then I would also be saying that those people whose economic situation prevented them buying a gun did not deserve the right to defend themselves.

Poor people and homeless people have just as much right to defend themselves as anybody else.